New recording experiment!

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
So I've been setting up quite a bit of new stuff on my computer lately, and I'm really getting excited about recording again. My solo album sold well and I'm currently really happy with how the band is going, and I'm just now getting back into demoing new songs and recording again.

So this is my first little experiment. It started out as just an idea for an intro to use for the band live, and I'm thinking of developing it further and using it for the intro to my next solo album.

Anyway, here it is, currently untitled. It's a quickie too at only about 1:23 or so:

[MEDIA]http://www.vincelupone.com/mp3/vincelupone_beginning2008.mp3[/MEDIA]

If you're familiar with my music, you can pick up about three songs of mine in there, in a rough medley.

Here's the interesting thing about the recording. No amp. None at all, not even a preamp. :eek:

Just my Ibanez S7 and Waves GTR... that's my guitar sound on this one :agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Espaul

Reaction score
really cool thing, and the guitar tone is actually pretty sweet!

But the bass drum sound, I guess it's synth bass drum, but it just sounds like an ordinary bass drum that's peaking. maybe try and turn the tone a bit up on it.

that was the only thing in the mix that in my ears didn't fit, everything else was sweet

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
the bass drum is my drummer's bass drum mixed with an industrial blast. I wanted it to sound overdriven. We're using it for a live intro, so it has to kick hard through club PAs, and the standard bass drum sounded a little too weak for it IMO. I love industrial sounds :agreed:

_detox

lurkin'.
Reaction score
That sounded REALLY awesome, definitely can see the intro going over well at concerts, especially with that bass drum, it's probably like a kick in the face on a club PA.

Towards the end I could hear a little beat coming in (I think?), it sounded really good as well, what kind of VSTs are you using on this clip?

Espaul

Reaction score
yeah I guess it would kinda kick ass as a live intro :D but here with my speakers it still sounds like it's peaking, hehe

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
I can't say I dig that kick either. Definitely sounds like it's peaking. More compression?

Otherwise, though, it sounds great! It reminds me of a little of that one Massive Attack song. Very cool. :yesway:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Anythingwith "Spirits Rise" in it will always make me happy, dude. :wub:

That does kick ass, but I agree on the kick. It's not that a bitof overdrive is bad, but it sounds more like a digital clipping than a distortion. Maybe try running it through your guitar sim, plus a bass boost to restore the low end that'll get cut off?

')