New Rick Toone 8 string

• Thread starter StevenC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

frahmans

Reaction score
Toone has always been an inspiration - from his ideas on ergonomic playing, correct position, and ideas.

Initially, a lot of his ideas seemed too out there but they work. Trapezoid neck or ?I can attest a flat surface is better for playing.

The tone was not half bad. The design ideasIs why I like this build. Integrating more metal parts between neck and body...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zsharp

Reaction score
I agree, I think the guitar is AWESOME. Guitar marketing these days is nothing like it used to be however, guys sell guitars based on how cool they look on a website or a in youtube vid, look in a guitar store and find me a toone or strandberg to try out. Thousands will look at that guitar online before anyone actually gets to try it for themselves, which is FINE, but I can tell you already from hearing this demo it's enough to make me hold on to my 8 grand. The only reason I even put my 2 cents in is because I drooled over strandbergs only to find the hype well exceeded the product once I actually laid my hands on one. Again, my opinion, but then again, what are forums for? ;)

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
The only reason I even put my 2 cents in is because I drooled over strandbergs only to find the hype well exceeded the product once I actually laid my hands on one. Again, my opinion, but then again, what are forums for? ;)

What hype? It's an ergonomic guitar. Was it not comfortable? Did it not have great balance? Could you not balance it in a classical position on your leg?

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
So, I found something I really don't like on the guitar:

6a00e39826b289883301b7c700921f970b-800wi

The part that is purple on the first 6 strings is black on the lowest 2. Awful.

The only reason I even put my 2 cents in is because I drooled over strandbergs only to find the hype well exceeded the product once I actually laid my hands on one. Again, my opinion, but then again, what are forums for? ;)

What about Strandbergs didn't live up to the hype for you? Is it possible you've been paying too much attention to a certain Facebook guitar advertising page?

Zsharp

Reaction score
Honestly for me it was several things with the neck. I really did like the endurneck, which is what intrigued me the most about these gutiars. The one I owned and played was an S7, the neck bevel didn't match with the neck pocket completely (which i've also seen on several washburns) and the zero fret wasn't placed properly (almost like it was bent inward or something) and most importantly I couldn't access the 22nd-24th frets on the high e without having to take my thumb off the back of the neck. It looks like you have an MTM which might make all the difference in the world, i'd love to try a MTM but I don't know anyone who has one, i didn't even know anyone with a boden which is why I had to buy it to try it! I guess it does seem like i'm hating on strandys a little but it was the most i've ever spent on a single piece of music gear!

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Honestly for me it was several things with the neck. I really did like the endurneck, which is what intrigued me the most about these gutiars. The one I owned and played was an S7, the neck bevel didn't match with the neck pocket completely (which i've also seen on several washburns) and the zero fret wasn't placed properly (almost like it was bent inward or something) and most importantly I couldn't access the 22nd-24th frets on the high e without having to take my thumb off the back of the neck. It looks like you have an MTM which might make all the difference in the world, i'd love to try a MTM but I don't know anyone who has one, i didn't even know anyone with a boden which is why I had to buy it to try it! I guess it does seem like i'm hating on strandys a little but it was the most i've ever spent on a single piece of music gear!

S7?! There's your problem.

I've put a lot of playtime into an S7 Boden7, as well as my own M2M, but it was certainly a much better example than what you appear to have played. Don't let it put you off, they are much better than that! If you can find or try a good one, you'll be much happier. Though, unless you have tiny hands, I've got to question the lack of high fret access, because my hands are pretty small and I've never had an issue.

narad

Reaction score

I've put a lot of playtime into an S7 Boden7, as well as my own M2M, but it was certainly a much better example than what you appear to have played. Don't let it put you off, they are much better than that! If you can find or try a good one, you'll be much happier. Though, unless you have tiny hands, I've got to question the lack of high fret access, because my hands are pretty small and I've never had an issue.

Eh, you do have the neck-through. It doesn't bother me, but after playing yours I could see the need to do some extra shifting with the boden bolt-on heel.

Zsharp

Reaction score

I have pretty decent sized hands, I noticed that to get to the highest frets I had to move my thumb from the neck onto the heel. I was so close to ordering a boden 7 but the finishes have seemed very dark and overall inconsistent on the recent ones, i'm really waiting for the perfect used one to pop up but i'm also incredibly picky about wood choice and prefer wenge for fretboards (another reason why i might have not liked the neck but that's my own issue nothing to do with the builder). I still love the guitars, I love Ola's forward thinking vision, I just don't like that the production guitars aren't consistent with the ones pictured for the webpage and FB page! Since we can't try them in stores a picture really does say a thousand words!

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Wonder why he didn't fan the pickups on that? I think Toone is probably a love it or hate it design. I actually feel like he said, "Let me build a guitar with all the of the things Hollowway hates," but I think I'm probably being a little egocentric. :lol:

narad

Reaction score
Wonder why he didn't fan the pickups on that? I think Toone is probably a love it or hate it design. I actually feel like he said, "Let me build a guitar with all the of the things Hollowway hates," but I think I'm probably being a little egocentric. :lol:

I don't think it matters nearly as much as some (/a single vocal person) like to profess that it does. Or we could all just move our bridge pickups back even further on regular guitars for... _the ultimate tightness_

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
There are a number of people on TGP who are getting the runaround from Toone after putting money down. Too bad.

Musiscience

Reaction score
Oh man wat....

Reminds me of the review GuitarWorld did with the Carvin DC800....

The guy in OP video is no Tosin, but nowhere near as bad as Paul. I swear, Paul has friends in high places, there is no other logical explanation. No bashing on him though, he seems like an awesome dude all playing aside.

Last edited:

narad

Reaction score
The guy in OP video is no Tosin, but nowhere near as bad as Paul. I swear, Paul has friends in high places, there is no other logical explanation. No bashing on him though, he seems like an awesome dude all playing aside.

Well Paul was way ahead of the curve on these high quality video demoes. He's not the greatest player, but ultimately you don't need Yngwie in order to demonstrate what a guitar sounds like, or to simply talk about specs and notable aspects of the instrument. I mean, you need to think about who the intended audience is for these videos - good communication is going to trump ability.

Erockomania

Studio Geek
Reaction score
I don't think it matters nearly as much as some (/a single vocal person) like to profess that it does. Or we could all just move our bridge pickups back even further on regular guitars for... _the ultimate tightness_

I actually think it makes a huge difference. Moving the pickup even an 8th of an inch in either direction can have profound effects. The way he positions them gives the low strings more of a bass-like sound/neck pickup sound. Some folks dig that. I do not like the way it sounds at all, actually.

')