New Rick Toone 8 string

• Thread starter StevenC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

8STRINGS

Luthier
Reaction score
That vol knob placement seems very awkward. Beautiful guitar though. Rick has a very cool aesthetic that I've always admired.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I actually think it makes a huge difference. Moving the pickup even an 8th of an inch in either direction can have profound effects. The way he positions them gives the low strings more of a bass-like sound/neck pickup sound. Some folks dig that. I do not like the way it sounds at all, actually.

You never get to move the pickup in a guitar, so how would you know how much of a difference it makes in a controlled setting? In strats, where you can do the pickguard swap, it tends to thin the sound out a lot. In fact, the guy most noticeable for playing this way - Hendrix - is also noted for staying on the neck pickup almost the entire time!

In lieu of all things, I tend to trust to the experimental guitar builder to know what he's doing to make the guitar sound good. You don't make huge life-altering changes to relocate and focus on guitar building, build a new platform bottom-up, with custom designed hardware everywhere, and then overlook where/how to place the pickups.

theoctopus

乇レ 刀uᄊ乇尺o u刀o
Reaction score
I actually think it makes a huge difference. Moving the pickup even an 8th of an inch in either direction can have profound effects. The way he positions them gives the low strings more of a bass-like sound/neck pickup sound. Some folks dig that. I do not like the way it sounds at all, actually.

I own a multiscale guitar with straight pickups. The cleans are warmer and the high gain sounds just fine.

Musiscience

Reaction score
Well Paul was way ahead of the curve on these high quality video demoes. He's not the greatest player, but ultimately you don't need Yngwie in order to demonstrate what a guitar sounds like, or to simply talk about specs and notable aspects of the instrument. I mean, you need to think about who the intended audience is for these videos - good communication is going to trump ability.

Communication is essential, as well as presenting the specs correctly, and Paul does that pretty well. Otherwise, I am not in agreement that he does a good job in demonstrating what the instruments sounds like, contrary to some other reviewers who really come up with riffs and amp settings fitting for the instrument they are reviewing. A well informed player will buy the instrument after trying it out or knowing the impact the specs have on what they are buying, but to others these demos can really kill a sale in my opinion, sounding nothing like what they are looking for. For example, the TAM100 video riffs and tones sounds nothing like animals as leaders. What I mean is, it's not important he has the virtuosity of the player, but at least he has to choose the tones well enough that it will retain the interest of those who want to emulate that tone by buying the instrument.

That's only my opinion though, and I am not the CEO of an enormous guitar magasine so what do I know haha :lol:

')