New Rig Day! Axe-FX/VHT 2/90/2 Fun! ... And Tears!

• Thread starter jbcrazy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jbcrazy

Reaction score
hopefully that's what will be on the next incarnation

I figured the next Axe-FX should have dedicated bass/mid/treble/presence/deep knobs in the front of it as well. Maybe begin to integrate the atomic reactor power amps into the design as well. Have in all in one box pre-amp/amp. Think Line 6 Vetta except Fractal Audioized. :)

This thing as is amazing. I am at the point where this and the VHT together is just killer. Screw trying to emulate real tube amps. This thing sounds better than most tube amps.

:lol:

Setting the Poweramp correctly was the key. I had to use the vintage setting and set up the presence and depth control correctly to get the sound I am used to.

I wonder if a SS poweramp w/o those controls would even work for me.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
I figured the next Axe-FX should have dedicated bass/mid/treble/presence/deep knobs in the front of it as well. Maybe begin to integrate the atomic reactor power amps into the design as well. Have in all in one box pre-amp/amp. Think Line 6 Vetta except Fractal Audioized. :)

This thing as is amazing. I am at the point where this and the VHT together is just killer. Screw trying to emulate real tube amps. This thing sounds better than most tube amps.

:lol:

Setting the Poweramp correctly was the key. I had to use the vintage setting and set up the presence and depth control correctly to get the sound I am used to.

I wonder if a SS poweramp w/o those controls would even work for me.

probably, but that means that there would need to be some Global EQing and preamp tweaking going on, maybe even use of the parametric EQ

anything is possible with this piece of gear

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
i actually was in a very similar scenario while ABing my VH4 to my AxeFX at badn volumes while i had the VHT 2:50:2. i had tried that with a crown PA poweramp before, and ended up ditching it since the sound just lacked depth, fullness and the sound/feel just wasn't there. i tried messing around with the EQ, but it made things sound even more unnatural. a few weeks later i got a good deal on a VHT 2:50:2 and did the same ABing to the VH4. since my cab's mono, i was limited to using one channel (50W). while the overall sound was A LOT fuller, thicker and felt just like plugging directly into a 'real' amp, i still couldn't get it to sound as rich and full as the VH4 throughout the sonic spectrum. especially when pushing the poweramp past 12 o'clock (about as loud as 9-10 o'clock on the VH4), the bottom end started to sound 'congested'.

:2c:

jbcrazy

Reaction score
i actually was in a very similar scenario while ABing my VH4 to my AxeFX at badn volumes while i had the VHT 2:50:2. i had tried that with a crown PA poweramp before, and ended up ditching it since the sound just lacked depth, fullness and the sound/feel just wasn't there. i tried messing around with the EQ, but it made things sound even more unnatural. a few weeks later i got a good deal on a VHT 2:50:2 and did the same ABing to the VH4. since my cab's mono, i was limited to using one channel (50W). while the overall sound was A LOT fuller, thicker and felt just like plugging directly into a 'real' amp, i still couldn't get it to sound as rich and full as the VH4 throughout the sonic spectrum. especially when pushing the poweramp past 12 o'clock (about as loud as 9-10 o'clock on the VH4), the bottom end started to sound 'congested'.

:2c:

Yes. I had that feeling as well. Having a 2/90/2 with Kt88s makes my tone really really full. Could it be a headroom issue with the 2/50/2?

My setup has every bit of low end richness as the Einstein. It's harder to get there but it is possible.

The REAL VH4 I remembered plays and feels amazing. I have yet to dial in a satisfactory patch w/ the VH4 sim in this thing. Which is strange since I hear that's what alot of guys use as their hi-gain amp.

I've had much more success with the Mark IV, Marsha, and Bogner Uberschall (New) sims.

They need a Herbert or Einstein model.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Yes. I had that feeling as well. Having a 2/90/2 with Kt88s makes my tone really really full. Could it be a headroom issue with the 2/50/2?

My setup has every bit of low end richness as the Einstein. It's harder to get there but it is possible.

The REAL VH4 I remembered plays and feels amazing. I have yet to dial in a satisfactory patch w/ the VH4 sim in this thing. Which is strange since I hear that's what alot of guys use as their hi-gain amp.

I've had much more success with the Mark IV, Marsha, and Bogner Uberschall (New) sims.

They need a Herbert or Einstein model.

and an ENGL Fireball 100 ;)

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
YEs.. and the ENGL SE... And the Invader. :)

I don't know why this thing has 100 different Marshall Sims and 4 too many Mesa Rectifier sims... and a "Real" dumble.. and a "hypothetical" dumble simulation

Because everyone wants those rather than another Engl sim.

')