New Rig Setup Help, Please?

SKmedic

Banned
Reaction score
Hi all,

My younger brother purchased a Peavey 6505+ 112, a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor, A Boss Compressor (the blue pedal), a Boss 7-band EQ, and a Way Huge Green Rhino Mk. II Overdrive pedal.

He is getting into Periphery, Animals as Leaders, Mushuggah, and Keith Merrow type stuff. I play mostly Jeff Loomis style shreddy type stuff and am having a hell of a time trying to help him dial in a tone he likes (he has some good chops, but not much experience with gear).

I'm not very familiar with how to dial in the type of tone he's after with this equipment... He has a Schecter Hellraiser C-7 and I'm playing on my Ibanez RGD2127Z and no matter what, I can't seem to dial in the tone I hear from these bands...

Also, I have enough cables to do the "four cable method" with the Noise Suppressor, if that makes any difference.

I would love to hear how you guys would go about getting this sort of tone (think Keith Merrow's Pillars of Creation and/or Heart of the Sea Nymph for reference). Please, please, please don't just tell me to "boost the upper mids" or "it's all in your pick attack". I can't extrapolate an entire rig setup out of "boost the upper mids" and he and I already know how to pick hard and mute... it's dialing in the gear that's the issue.

Please tell us exactly how you would run the pedals and what setting you would use for the amp/pedals. Thanks guys/gals!!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WarMachine

Reaction score
Hi all,

My younger brother purchased a Peavey 6505+ 112, a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor, A Boss Compressor (the blue pedal), a Boss 7-band EQ, and a Way Huge Green Rhino Mk. II Overdrive pedal.

He is getting into Periphery, Animals as Leaders, Mushuggah, and Keith Merrow type stuff. I play mostly Jeff Loomis style shreddy type stuff and am having a hell of a time trying to help him dial in a tone he likes (he has some good chops, but not much experience with gear).

I'm not very familiar with how to dial in the type of tone he's after with this equipment... He has a Schecter Hellraiser C-7 and I'm playing on my Ibanez RGD2127Z and no matter what, I can't seem to dial in the tone I hear from these bands...

Also, I have enough cables to do the "four cable method" with the Noise Suppressor, if that makes any difference.

I would love to hear how you guys would go about getting this sort of tone (think Keith Merrow's Pillars of Creation and/or Heart of the Sea Nymph for reference). Please, please, please don't just tell me to "boost the upper mids" or "it's all in your pick attack". I can't extrapolate an entire rig setup out of "boost the upper mids" and he and I already know how to pick hard and mute... it's dialing in the gear that's the issue.

Please tell us exactly how you would run the pedals and what setting you would use for the amp/pedals. Thanks guys/gals!!!!!!!!!
Hey dude, try these out:

Amp:
gain : 4-4.5
Bass: 4
Mid: 7
High: 7
Res: 3
Pres: 6

As for the comp i cant help you out there dude, never used one, but for the rhino, have him run the level maxed out, tone from 10 o'clock to taste and zero out the gain. That will push the mids of the amp harder. As for the NS-2, try the 4 cable method or run it in the effects loop. That amp will hsssssssssss when its cranked but if you run the NS-2 4CM or in the effects loop, it shuts right up.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
EQ you can either put in the loop or out front, depending on how you like the sound more. In front you can set it up to work for like a solo boost to push the amp, while in the loop you are going to get a bit more characteristics of the amp. Generally start with all frequencies flat and then drop down one at a time working on the sound, if you use an EQ increase a frequency you tend to get more noise.

SKmedic

Banned
Reaction score
EQ you can either put in the loop or out front, depending on how you like the sound more. In front you can set it up to work for like a solo boost to push the amp, while in the loop you are going to get a bit more characteristics of the amp. Generally start with all frequencies flat and then drop down one at a time working on the sound, if you use an EQ increase a frequency you tend to get more noise.

That makes a lot of sense, I never thought of it that way with the EQ creating more noise. I run my rig guitar>overdrive>amp with built in gate, so this effects deal is mind-numbingly frustrating. I've got his set up guitar>compressor>overdrive>noise gate>EQ>preamp>noise gate in fx loop>power amp... I cannot get the tone I need no matter what I try.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Have you tried just plugging straight into the amp, no pedals, with the gain and tone knobs at 12:00? Thats usually a good starting point.

Also, keep in mind that every band you mentioned uses an AxeFX II and I'm sure their presets aren't the simplest. As for Meshuggah, thats a hard tone to copy no matter what.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Have you tried just plugging straight into the amp, no pedals, with the gain and tone knobs at 12:00? Thats usually a good starting point.

Also, keep in mind that every band you mentioned uses an AxeFX II and I'm sure their presets aren't the simplest. As for Meshuggah, thats a hard tone to copy no matter what.

So much truth. Meshuggah's guitar tones sound massive because of the bass guitar filling out the frequency spectrum since they tune to "the same F"

As far as the amp and pedals, do what Given To Fly said to start, then add the Green Rhino/NS-2, EQ, etc.

Start basic, then add things as needed. I don't think the compressor is really needed for a metal sound through a 6505 unless it's just for cleans.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
Also don't forget that a lot of modern albums use multiple tracks often with at least two different amp setups for the same guitar part.

SKmedic

Banned
Reaction score
So much truth. Meshuggah's guitar tones sound massive because of the bass guitar filling out the frequency spectrum since they tune to "the same F"

As far as the amp and pedals, do what Given To Fly said to start, then add the Green Rhino/NS-2, EQ, etc.

Start basic, then add things as needed. I don't think the compressor is really needed for a metal sound through a 6505 unless it's just for cleans.

We got the idea for this rig watching a YouTube video of Misha from Periphery giving a breakdown of his rig. Also, I've seen plenty of videos of people getting the tone we're after with similar setups and no post-processing, just a mic-ed cab.

Yes, I've plugged into the amp and tried to adjust the EQ and all I can seem to get is part of the puzzle.

I'm just really confused as to how to run all these pedals and which settings for each of them. I know compressors are not usually used in metal because of the natural compression of high gain, but since we're going for a low gain sound, I understand that the compressor is supposed to compensate for this and keep chords and long notes from getting jacked up by the noise gate.

We have no experience running pedals like these, so sorry of this whole attempt at finding a certain tone seems kind of noobish. I'm really just looking for what settings on the amp, the order I should run the pedals we have, and the best settings for said pedals.

To all who have posted so far: I appreciate the suggestions so far.

tyler_faith_08

Strings of Chaos
Reaction score
I'd run it like this:

guitar->compressor-> suppressor-> amp -FX> distortion ->EQ -FX>

Start with the pedals off and the gain on about 3 or 4. Turn all of the other knobs to about 12 and with the post volume at very least past 1.5 or 2.

Set your resonance, mids, presence, lows, highs. Keep adjusting as necessary. Once you have it as close as you want it, turn the distortion pedal on and tune it as you want. Do the same with the EQ. Take one adjustment and turn it all of the way down and all of the way up so that you have an idea of what exactly it adjusts. Do this for each one. Then move to the compressor, then the suppressor. Remember, everything is meant to suppliment the amp. Get that as close as possible and go from there.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I'd go:

Guitar-gate-OD-amp with the gate in the 4 cable method to quiet both the guitar and the amp. From there add the EQ where/if you see fit.