New Schecter Models Megathread

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I think it’s hard to get a figured top under a satin finish, especially a dark one, to pop in photos. It might be better in person; might be worth asking them to take a video or something of it from various angles/lighting.

It does look underwhelming if you want a really obvious maple top. It’s also unfortunate that it seems like the sides don’t show their figure in the same lighting. It looks well bookmatched, but just due to the grain, it seems like when one side “pops” the other side is dull. I’ll bet it flips if you change the angle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I think it’s hard to get a figured top under a satin finish, especially a dark one, to pop in photos. It might be better in person; might be worth asking them to take a video or something of it from various angles/lighting.

It does look underwhelming if you want a really obvious maple top. It’s also unfortunate that it seems like the sides don’t show their figure in the same lighting. It looks well bookmatched, but just due to the grain, it seems like when one side “pops” the other side is dull. I’ll bet it flips if you change the angle.
that's how my boden is. One side will be pop and the other doesn't pop as well in the same lighting. It's only from certain angles where both pop really well.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Do single coils next time!

hmmm...
fender-custom-shop-exclusive-zf-telecas-tq0khAL.jpg

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score

that's how my boden is. One side will be pop and the other doesn't pop as well in the same lighting. It's only from certain angles where both pop really well.

Idk, pretty sure this picture was taken indoors and the figuring from side to side still seems different.
210_case.jpg

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
This is the $3500 USA Custom Shop model btw

Fortunately its a production custom model so you can see it before you're committed. Look at the PRS Holcomb model for a similar situation. A lot of those guitars had really bland tops for $4000+ and the satin finish didn't so them any favors in emphasizing the figure.

Zado

Reaction score
Hoping to be able to afford it next year. Bought too much gear recently. Let me tell you though, I don't need convincing to order a Schecter CS.
That's the spirit! :fawk:
This is the $3500 USA Custom Shop model btw
It's all a lighting thing I guess. Not a super figured top for sure, but it probably looks cooler in real life

Zado

Reaction score
Seeing how awesome this is looking, it'll me hard for me to not immediately order another one, but with a butterscotch ash body, maple board, and black pickguard. Kinda just waiting to have it in-hand to make sure the specs etc. feel right or if I'd want anything tweaked on a backup/twin build. Man that thing is looking great.
Butterscotch would be just as kickass:deathm:

cip 123

Reaction score
Kind of a Schecter noob but are those Banshee Elite much better than the Merrow standard?

Been eyeing a 7 string and the Merrow standard was appealing considering the price point. The Banshee is $50 more here but I notice a real hipshot and neckthru.

Are those Mach pickups any good? What other differences can one find?

In terms of specs the Banshee is a heck of a lot better than the lower end Merrow imo.

The pickups are USA custom shop, I played an 8 once and the thing damn near played itself.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
In terms of specs the Banshee is a heck of a lot better than the lower end Merrow imo.

The pickups are USA custom shop, I played an 8 once and the thing damn near played itself.
Schecter's Custom Shop pickups are nothing to scoff at. I'm mad at myself that I would never have given them a chance had I not got the Apocalypse VII set as stock in my C-7 Apocalypse. They are absolutely amazing imo. Clarity and girth. I really want to try their other models like the Brimstone and such.

Zado

Reaction score
Schecter's Custom Shop pickups are nothing to scoff at. I'm mad at myself that I would never have given them a chance had I not got the Apocalypse VII set as stock in my C-7 Apocalypse. They are absolutely amazing imo. Clarity and girth. I really want to try their other models like the Brimstone and such.
Me haz Pazadena Classicz. Me lovez.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Banshee is a highier tier guitar, basically you can say it is something on the price and quality level of KM MK-1 or MK-2, it's made in Korea vs made in Indo which in general is better in terms of built quality, real hipshot bridge, locking tuners, MIA Schecter pickups vs noname Asian made, also neckthrough is not necessarily better then bolt on, it's more a matter of taste, but in general neckthrough is pricier

Ok then the Merrow is out. But I still have that itch and want a new 7.

I apologize for posting this here, feel free to delete or move. I did find the Vs. threads and made a post but nobody is replying there so I wanted to ask you guys.

I am now looking at the Banshee vs the Evil Twin vs the Hybrid.

I like the quilt much better on Hybrid but that 12th fret inlay is awful. The natural body Banshee is my least favorite looking of the bunch but any of them are acceptable I guess.

What I know best is a Mahogany/Maple guitar (Hellraiser Hybrid) and while I am very comfy with those tones, I find the more "exotic" woods on the Banshee and Evil twin more appealing and something I would not mind trying out for a change.

Otherwise the Banshee and Evil Twin seem to be more similar besides for the Fishman.

I think they all have the same neck and scale so it is a tough call. Unable to play one first as it would be from Sweetwater or MF.

Any other differences that I am missing? Is one better than the other or is it just Preference? I assume the only reason the Evil Twin is more expensive is due to the Fishman?

Also how would you guys compare these Custom Shop Banshee pickups to the EMG or Fishman (I use Motor City for a reference)

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score

I apologize for posting this here, feel free to delete or move. I did find the Vs. threads and made a post but nobody is replying there so I wanted to ask you guys.

I like the quilt much better on Hybrid but that 12th fret inlay is awful. The natural body Banshee is my least favorite looking of the bunch but any of them are acceptable I guess.

What I know best is a Mahogany/Maple guitar (Hellraiser Hybrid) and while I am very comfy with those tones, I find the more "exotic" woods on the Banshee and Evil twin more appealing and something I would not mind trying out for a change.

Otherwise the Banshee and Evil Twin seem to be more similar besides for the Fishman.

I think they all have the same neck and scale so it is a tough call. Unable to play one first as it would be from Sweetwater or MF.

Any other differences that I am missing? Is one better than the other or is it just Preference? I assume the only reason the Evil Twin is more expensive is due to the Fishman?

Also how would you guys compare these Custom Shop Banshee pickups to the EMG or Fishman (I use Motor City for a reference)

Hellraiser Hybrid? Doesn't have stainless frets. Pass. (well sorta, I bought one anyways but I wouldn't buy again)
I'd take a Banshee over the SLS Elite or Evil Twin any day if looks weren't my primary concern. I'm not a fan of the stripes that run through the body being visible on the top. I also don't like the natural sides on the SLS Elites, too contrasting and should have been dark stained or black imo. the Evil Twin is basic black but it's normal at least.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Hellraiser Hybrid? Doesn't have stainless frets. Pass. (well sorta, I bought one anyways but I wouldn't buy again)
I'd take a Banshee over the SLS Elite or Evil Twin any day if looks weren't my primary concern. I'm not a fan of the stripes that run through the body being visible on the top. I also don't like the natural sides on the SLS Elites, too contrasting and should have been dark stained or black imo. the Evil Twin is basic black but it's normal at least.
So I guess it comes down to looks mostly. I am also not huge on the racing stripes but I did just notice the Cat's eye color which is ok and the sides seem to be black.

Decisions......Thanks for the input.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
So I guess it comes down to looks mostly. I am also not huge on the racing stripes but I did just notice the Cat's eye color which is ok and the sides seem to be black.

Decisions......Thanks for the input.
That and sound/upgrading. Concerning the SLS Elite, I personally do not like the Fishman Modern set that much. It sounds better with the alnico pickup put in the bridge and the ceramic moved to the neck though. If you end up going passive though, you have to deal with soapbar routes which can limit your options unless plan on DIYing your own soapbar versions of passive-route sized pickups.

cip 123

Reaction score

Personally I'd rule out the Hybrid as I just don't like it much, also not a fan of TOM hard tails, Id much prefer the hipshot.

If you don't like the natural of the Banshee look at the "Cats eye pearl" finish. A dark orange satin stain, it's lovely and the one I'd choose.

The SLS Evil Twin is cool but I'm not a fan of the inlays, though the Fishmans are great pickups. The only drawback is they use up their batteries quicker than EMGs.

If I were to go SLS I'd go SLS Elite, the faded finish ones.

It basically comes down to what you really want as they're all top spec Diamond series stuff, the only step up is USA stuff (If you stick to Schecter) If you want Passive go Banshee, the pickups are really great. They're USA Custom Shop.

If you want Active go with Fishmans, I enjoy them much more than EMG's.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Personally I'd rule out the Hybrid as I just don't like it much, also not a fan of TOM hard tails, Id much prefer the hipshot.

If you don't like the natural of the Banshee look at the "Cats eye pearl" finish. A dark orange satin stain, it's lovely and the one I'd choose.

The SLS Evil Twin is cool but I'm not a fan of the inlays, though the Fishmans are great pickups. The only drawback is they use up their batteries quicker than EMGs.

If I were to go SLS I'd go SLS Elite, the faded finish ones.

It basically comes down to what you really want as they're all top spec Diamond series stuff, the only step up is USA stuff (If you stick to Schecter) If you want Passive go Banshee, the pickups are really great. They're USA Custom Shop.

If you want Active go with Fishmans, I enjoy them much more than EMG's.
Yeah someone pointed out the cats eye which does look good. I saw some real life pics and I would be very ok with that color.

Diamond scares me though. I guess Schecter has changed over the years but my friend got a Diamond Hellraiser in maybe 2005 and to me it was horrible. The neck was way too thick for me. I assumed that was not their Thin C. Hopefully it is not.

cip 123

Reaction score
Yeah someone pointed out the cats eye which does look good. I saw some real life pics and I would be very ok with that color.

Diamond scares me though. I guess Schecter has changed over the years but my friend got a Diamond Hellraiser in maybe 2005 and to me it was horrible. The neck was way too thick for me. I assumed that was not their Thin C. Hopefully it is not.
Totally forget the Schecters of old.

Their revamp of the company started in about 2012-2013.

You can still see remnants of their old design in the Hellraiser series (which obviously sells too well to get rid of) but they have slimmer necks now, a lot more care on their product lines (Though you can still get bad ones). That said if you get a bad one, contact your store or contact Schecter, I believe someone in here got sent a few different KM-7's from Schecter themselves after raising QC issues.

But Basically, gone are the days of abalone, thick necks, and EMG's on everything. Just look at the Banshee series, or the Sun Valley Shredder series.

If you have the patience to save, it could be worth checking out the USA series, checking reverb etc. I have one and it's my favourite guitar. Some of the best quality you can buy, though they are expensive.

Latest posts

')