New SD solderless volume pots

• Thread starter Phlegethon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thrashcomics

Ibanez and Line 6 since 1999
Reaction score
ok, so on my suhr modern i have a volume a tone and a 5 way for my 2 humbuckers. how could i use this in there as it really intriques me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

frank falbo

Reaction score
ok, so on my suhr modern i have a volume a tone and a 5 way for my 2 humbuckers. how could i use this in there as it really intriques me.

It would work perfectly. You put the Liberator's flying lead where the pickup wires used to go, then you're hot swapping pickups at the terminal stations. You can solder or screw the pot wires. If I'm going for a permanent install in a rear route guitar, I'd solder all the grounds to the back of the Liberator's PCB. (loosely considered a "star ground") and solder the pot terminals too. If it's a pickguard, I use the screw terminals for the pot so I could change pickguards fast with other guards and Liberators.

thrashcomics

Ibanez and Line 6 since 1999
Reaction score
It would work perfectly. You put the Liberator's flying lead where the pickup wires used to go, then you're hot swapping pickups at the terminal stations. You can solder or screw the pot wires. If I'm going for a permanent install in a rear route guitar, I'd solder all the grounds to the back of the Liberator's PCB. (loosely considered a "star ground") and solder the pot terminals too. If it's a pickguard, I use the screw terminals for the pot so I could change pickguards fast with other guards and Liberators.
could you diagram this for me?

Reaction score
It's a step forward, but wouldn't the best solution eventually be quick connects all around? Where in the pickup hole you would have just a single connector that the pickup plugs into that routes back into the tone/volume area which is also then interconnected via quick connects vol/tone/vol/tone, vol/tone/pushpull etc configs?

I would think that would be the end result of what is to come eventually. Like the inside of a computer with standardized plugs that every manufacturer uses so people can just unplug and plug in new pickups within minutes with no screwdrivers or anything. (Other than the raise/lower and bracket mounting screws that is)

joaocunha

A nomad
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it's a neat idea, but didn't get why not to use "clamps" instead of screws.

But my main question is about that "Blackouts Modular Preamp". There would be subtle tonal changes between pickups or there's no difference between using a crappy chinese stock and a hi-end BKP with them?

frank falbo

Reaction score
Not trying to do the "promotion thing" but this explains a little why we didn't go with a spring clamp. Basically too wimpy and it will lose tension over time, too strong and you could break something trying to hold it open. But the biggest reason (which didn't make the video) is that you'd have to push down with one hand and insert the wire with the other. Tons of opportunity to slip off and damage something and be frustrated. People would be cussing us out worldwide.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
So, where does the pickup selector switch fit into this? I'm kinda confused about how this all works. :scratch:

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd just like to vouch for the quality of this type of connector. I don't have the SD product under discussion but I've been using something with the same type of connector for my multi-channel pickup system and the connections are rock solid. The screws are captive in the clamping mechanism so they can't be lost.

vanhendrix

Reaction score
So, I have a question. A little know fact is that you need to wire pots backwards in a lefty guitar in order for them to turn the correct "mirrored" way. Nobody knows this because let's face it, other than me, who has ever had this problem? How would this dealie work if i needed to wire it that way?

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
hey Frank, any word on the BMP-1? I'm still eager to give it a try.

')