New Seven String Player

• Thread starter Daunicornslayer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daunicornslayer

Reaction score
Hey all, I just registered about 2 minutes ago.

I've been a guitar player for about 12 years or so now, been in a few metalish bands and I do some recording when I'm not working my day job.

I've been looking into seven strings guitars for about a year now and I keep coming back to this forum whenever I have a google search. I figured its time I joined in.

I have the eternal battle of loving playing in E standard because its how I learned to play guitar. But E isn't nearly heavy enough for me so I often keep a guitar in E and a guitar in Drop C. I figured I could solve this by adding an extra string.

Now I've been doing a lot of research and I'm ready to make an investment into a guitar. I'd been looking into getting an Agile Pendulum for a while and then modding it with new tuners, circuitry and aftermarket pickups but when all is said and done I could save up a bit over twice what that would cost and get myself something nicer (trying to break the habit of quantity of equipment over quality)... like a Strandberg or Skervesen. To be honest I'm pretty torn here. If you have suggestions or experience encourage you to give me your input. Price really isn't a factor I'm considering at the moment.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Omura

Reaction score
If price is no object I would always go for a higher quality guitar.
That being said, if I wanted to try out 7 strings, I would dive right in with a custom either, I would pick up a good quality production 7, something like an Ibanez rg752fx or tg752 if you want a trem, They are very cheap for what you get, they are absolutely fantastic, especially for the cash, and that you could rock into a store and walk away with one tomorrow. If you go custom you'll be waiting months for something you may or may not like playing. For that reason I'd stick to production models for your first.
Also would be worth jumping into a store and trying out a few different guitars with different scale lengths
Ibanez rg752fx is 25.5
Schecter km-7 is 26.5 (also an absolutely killer guitar if you live in the USA, quite pricey if you are in the Eu though), or a jackson DKA7 is also 26.5, or an RGD2127
Then something like an LTD SC607B is 27
That should give you a feel of your prefered scale length for 7's, some like the extra length, personally I like 25.5 and just put a heavy string on, but I lose out a little in harmonic content for doing so.
Best of luck my friend!
I played 6-7 different 7 strings before I got my RG752fx, it was the first 7 that I played that I really gelled with and could play freely on, using all the strings and moving between them, for some reason on the others I played I would get lost on the strings or distracted by fret edges etc.

Daunicornslayer

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

I've been doing quite a bit of practical research along with my internet ventures. I'm also a fan of the 25.5 in scale and my small hands don't let me go much larger without a loss of dexterity in the lower register. I've played 26-27" sevens with some success but I have trouble riffing sometimes. Plus 25.5 is the scale of my most used guitars right now. I've considered purchasing production models as you've suggested.

I've had my eye on fanned fret guitars since I got my hands on one for a few minutes a while back. I was looking at agiles for a bit but I was likely going to have to drop quite a bit extra into upgrading the pickups and I figured I could invest a little more and just go custom.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
Welcome to SSO!

I agree with Omura, since you're just getting into 7 string territory, that you try out some production model 7's first so you can get an idea on what specs you're into. So you don't get something custom made and then realize you wish you had something different, or that 7's aren't really your thing.

If you have the opportunity to go check out some different guitars and see what best suits you, do it. No amount of research online is as beneficial as trying things out first hand. Play as many different 7's as possible before buying.

And if price isn't a big concern, I'd try out a Prestige Ibanez, or an ESP if I were you. Or similar higher end axe, with nicer hardware and build quality. If you already know 25.5 scale is preferred, I'd look at neck profile and bridge type next.:2c:

Good luck.:yesway:

stevexc

Reaction score
Man, I spent a grand on a pretty nice Ibanez for my first 7-string only to lose about $400 selling it when I realized I just don't jive with a lot of 7s in general - on my 3rd now and I'm still not completely convinced. I wouldn't jump straight into a custom 7 unless you've got a lot of money to burn. I'd go for something more midrange if I was you - LTD, Schecter, Ibanez and Jackson all have some fantastic midrange models (H-1007, KM-7, RG752, SLATTXMGQ3-7 to name some of my favorites from each) that you wouldn't need immediate upgrades - they could all be lifelong guitars, unlike the Agile that you'd likely want to move up from.

Daunicornslayer

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys!

Yeah, now that I'm not full of beer and thinking about this; its probably best I go production models :lol:

I've been doing quite a bit of practical research, meeting up with friends who have them and playing the ones at guitar center. I've got a pretty good feel for what I like and dislike so far. A few weeks ago GC had a KM7 I was creaming myself over last time I was there. Ibanez and Jackson have been hit and miss in my six string adventures. My ibanez (rg5ex1) and I have had some rough times. Mostly because of the floating trem I think. And I've never really played a jackson and felt good about playing it haha.

Any specific models of guitars you find are very poor seven strings??? I'm looking at an ibanez S at the moment. I feel like it would come down to that or a Schecter.

Thanks again!

Thanatopsis

Reaction score
If you just want to go lower, as long as the scale length is the same(longer can help with intonation on really low tunings), a 7 is no more capable than a 6. You just get more overall range on the 7. You could easily just throw some heavier strings on the 6 and tune lower(just make sure to check the truss rod if you're making a big change). I have a 14-58 set on my RG3EX1 that I keep in B standard 99% of the time and it works just fine, although I want to get a wound string for the F# next time I restring it.

Daunicornslayer

Reaction score
If you just want to go lower, as long as the scale length is the same(longer can help with intonation on really low tunings), a 7 is no more capable than a 6. You just get more overall range on the 7. You could easily just throw some heavier strings on the 6 and tune lower(just make sure to check the truss rod if you're making a big change). I have a 14-58 set on my RG3EX1 that I keep in B standard 99% of the time and it works just fine, although I want to get a wound string for the F# next time I restring it.

I'm wanting to keep standard E tuning for the shreds but I'd like to have a low A as well. I've been playing for a while I know you can just slap some heavy gauge strings on and drop it to B or A if you know what you're doing. I'm honestly wanting the extra range.

Thanatopsis

Reaction score
I'm wanting to keep standard E tuning for the shreds but I'd like to have a low A as well. I've been playing for a while I know you can just slap some heavy gauge strings on and drop it to B or A if you know what you're doing. I'm honestly wanting the extra range.
Completely understandable. Didn't mean to insult your intelligence, some people just aren't aware of that.

I miss having a 7 myself, it is nice having the extra range(even though it's only 2.5 steps w/standard tuning). Bought a Universe in 97 that I had for 3 or 4 years but ended up selling it because I came to the conclusion that I didn't care for tremolos. On the plus side I sold it for more than I paid.

lelandbowman3

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I love my Dean RC7X Wraith. It's my favorite 7 I've owned and traded. It has a 25.5 scale and a FR locking trem and it plays like a dream. I'm looking at getting the xenocide model, but if you don't like flashy graphics, they have a simple black or white model that both play amazingly. $400-500 for a used model from GC and of the two I've purchased, its been "like new" condition.
Anyway, good luck with your 7!
P.S. I tune to F# to F# standard with a low B on top :)

Daunicornslayer

Reaction score
Completely understandable. Didn't mean to insult your intelligence, some people just aren't aware of that.

I miss having a 7 myself, it is nice having the extra range(even though it's only 2.5 steps w/standard tuning). Bought a Universe in 97 that I had for 3 or 4 years but ended up selling it because I came to the conclusion that I didn't care for tremolos. On the plus side I sold it for more than I paid.

No worries man I'm sure you guys see a lot of new members on here with little to no knowledge of these things. Plus I'd rather have you point out something obvious and simple like that then let me think something wrong anyways but thats just me haha.

Those RC7X's look nice. I'll have to do some more research on them. I'm currently contemplating an Ibanez SIX27FDBG or a Schecter KM7 but that RC7X might squeeze its way into my considerations. Though I'm not a huge fan of tremelos.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
KM7 or JL7. They're both great guitars and the 26.5 in scale helps with the tension. I put 70s on the low Bs on mine and it worked out great. Can't go wrong with either, and the EMGs are sick in the Loomis. Good luck man!

Daunicornslayer

Reaction score
KM7 or JL7. They're both great guitars and the 26.5 in scale helps with the tension. I put 70s on the low Bs on mine and it worked out great. Can't go wrong with either, and the EMGs are sick in the Loomis. Good luck man!

Thanks dude! I've played the JL7 at GC. I'm not a huge fan of EMG's however so the KM7 would be my pick out of those two.

lelandbowman3

Reaction score
Those RC7X's look nice. I'll have to do some more research on them. I'm currently contemplating an Ibanez SIX27FDBG or a Schecter KM7 but that RC7X might squeeze its way into my considerations. Though I'm not a huge fan of tremelos.

They're not bad on this model. Honestly, I hate Floyds, but this just helps me stay in tune and (in my opinion) helps note bleeding, since it doesn't have as long a sustain as a hardtail. I just keep the trem arm unattached, since I never have a reason to use it. I'm still going over scales and visualization.

Daunicornslayer

Reaction score
They're not bad on this model. Honestly, I hate Floyds, but this just helps me stay in tune and (in my opinion) helps note bleeding, since it doesn't have as long a sustain as a hardtail. I just keep the trem arm unattached, since I never have a reason to use it. I'm still going over scales and visualization.

I like the simplicity of a set bridge. I don't have issues with tuning usually.

7stg

Reaction score
Thanks dude! I've played the JL7 at GC. I'm not a huge fan of EMG's however so the KM7 would be my pick out of those two.

If you have liked the Schecters, they do have passive models that will still have the benefit of the 26.5" scale and similar quality.

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
Welcome:wavey:

I have the eternal battle of loving playing in E standard because its how I learned to play guitar. But E isn't nearly heavy enough for me so I often keep a guitar in E and a guitar in Drop C. I figured I could solve this by adding an extra string..

An extra low A string would give access to Standard E, Drop A, and your other guitar in Drop C. Nice :)

I'd been looking into getting an Agile Pendulum for a while and then modding it with new tuners, circuitry and aftermarket pickups....

NO. There will be optimists who say if you get a nice one it will be worth upgrading and blah blah but after 5 years or so you'll find yourself still NOT HAPPY. And time spent modding can't be spent playing.

...but when all is said and done I could save up a bit over twice what that would cost and get myself something nicer (trying to break the habit of quantity of equipment over quality)... like a Strandberg or Skervesen.

YES. Better this than kicking yourself for having "invested" in a budget guitar. By the way, There's loads of guitars between the Agile Pendulum and the Strandberg. A nice Carvin, ESP EII, Ibanez Prestige, even the higher end Schecters and LTD's, they can be excellent guitars on the right side of affordable.

Andless

Reaction score
NO. There will be optimists who say if you get a nice one it will be worth upgrading and blah blah but after 5 years or so you'll find yourself still NOT HAPPY. And time spent modding can't be spent playing.

YES. Better this than kicking yourself for having "invested" in a budget guitar. By the way, There's loads of guitars between the Agile Pendulum and the Strandberg. A nice Carvin, ESP EII, Ibanez Prestige, even the higher end Schecters and LTD's, they can be excellent guitars on the right side of affordable.

Correct.

Also, if you are interested in ergonomic design (I see you listed Strandberg) I cannot emphasis enough the discontinued GKG Turbulence guitars. Should cost you around USD800 for a mint condition for the MIK models (MIA a tad more ;)), and if you can stomach the fact that it doesn't look like a strat or an LP, they absolutely kill for pure performance!

(If you are going for an SS shape 7, do yourself a favour and go with music man JP sigs)

Daunicornslayer

Reaction score
Also, if you are interested in ergonomic design (I see you listed Strandberg) I cannot emphasis enough the discontinued GKG Turbulence guitars. Should cost you around USD800 for a mint condition for the MIK models (MIA a tad more ;)), and if you can stomach the fact that it doesn't look like a strat or an LP, they absolutely kill for pure performance!

(If you are going for an SS shape 7, do yourself a favour and go with music man JP sigs)

Those look pretty interesting (the GKG's). I'm not all about the super strats but that thing looks a little out there for me hahaha. I've played a few MM's and GC.

I'm really wishing more people produced mid priced multiscale guitars, thats the main reason I've even considered going custom.

')