New Skervesen Astilla 8str building process :)

krismaciejewski

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am quite new to the forums and this is my first thread, but i hope you will enjoy it :)

A while a go i ordered my first 8string guitar from Skervesen. First idea was to order SWAN model, but just so it happened i bought 7string SWAN frol Lothar, fellow forum member. So after seeing this picture
Astilla_16_zps3e6cce3a.jpg

i decided to go with Astilla, Skervesens headles design :)

Basic specs were

Ash body
Rosewood/Ebony neck
Aftermath pickups

Since i always loved buckeye burl wood on guitars i started looking for nice piece and eventually bought this
image.jpeg

:)

To be continued....

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

krismaciejewski

Reaction score
And here we have all 3 layers glued together.

image_4.jpeg

Originally Astilla suppose to have just ash body with buckey burl top, but good people at Skervesen figured it out that buckeye is not hard and strong enough to hold ABM bridge saddles. So they made a decision to put extra layer of bubbinga between ash and buckeye. All thumbs up from me :) I have that done in my SWAN and it looks and sounds awesome.

krismaciejewski

Reaction score
Not much interest there i see :)
Well, i will continue anyway.

So here is already shaped (not completely) body.
Front:

1238136_10201481491026918_1819768231_n.jpg

And back:

1238910_10201481491906940_910697143_n.jpg

TIBrent

Drop Z regular
Reaction score
Not feeling that half-a-head-stock, but besides that, it really is stunning. Amazing build, materials & design!

krismaciejewski

Reaction score
Not feeling that half-a-head-stock, but besides that, it really is stunning. Amazing build, materials & design!

I actually dig the mini headstock. First i like to hang my guitars on the wall :)
Second it gives me that stop for my hand so it doesn't run out of the neck.
And third it gives me a bit of balance in the design. I could have had it Strandberg style but i'm not big fan of no headstock at all. But i totally understand it is a matter of personal taste :)

Maggai

Slayer of the gods
Reaction score
Looks fantastic! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Robrecht

Overall weird person
Reaction score
Finally, another Astilla! My favourite Skervesen shape. It'll look amazing with that wood.

krismaciejewski

Reaction score
Here you can see something new for Astilla. When i found out that in my axe there will be one more layer of wood (bubbinga) i asked guys at Skervesen if they could cut a bit edges of the body to make them a bit slanted and show up all the layers (like in my SKervesen Swan). No problemo they said so we got something like that:

image_1.jpeg

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Only thing I dislike about this design is the huge angled cutout on the butt end of the instrument. It's not really needed, and it doesn't work with my taste. But as a whole, these things look badass. Good call on the beveled edges too, it really made the guitar look way more badass!

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
Only thing I dislike about this design is the huge angled cutout on the butt end of the instrument. It's not really needed, and it doesn't work with my taste. But as a whole, these things look badass. Good call on the beveled edges too, it really made the guitar look way more badass!

+1 on all counts!

krismaciejewski

Reaction score

Well it kinda is needed. If you look at it shape of the cutout is determined by scales of separate strings. If there was no cutout then minituners would be "on top" of the wood and it would be difficult to use it. But i understand the aesthetical issues :)

PS. More pictures coming soon :)

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
^Yeah, but I personally think they could've made the transition from the body outline a little bit more organic.

Robrecht

Overall weird person
Reaction score
I love the design. The cutout sets it apart from the usual superstrat fare and it looks very "form follows function" to me with the angled bridge and tuners.

Also:

403137_370117896436847_209430131_n.jpg

(from the Skervesen Facebook page)

Reaction score
The contours you've added should be stock! :)

Very nice.

However, I agree that the cutout at the bridge could change a bit.

')