New Slipknot track - The Dying Song (Time To Sing)

• Thread starter Accoun
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
This is goofy, in not a good way. Corey's new mask is cool though, and of course Sid's new costume steals the show yet again.

Wonder what the guy wearing the Chris mask is about.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
Like I said in another thread, the riffs and drums sound exactly the same. I'll still listen to the new album though. They usually have a couple of heavy ones mixed in with the crap (ie Solway firth)

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Feels like a bunch of ideas stuck together so its quite jarring in places. Some parts like the chorus feel like two separate songs playing at the same time. The verse is cool but the songwriting really needs work. Hoping the album isn't all like this.
Their song structuring has gone in some pretty weird directions on all their albums 3 onwards I'd say. Sometimes it's effective, often a bit random.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Feels like a bunch of ideas stuck together so its quite jarring in places. Some parts like the chorus feel like two separate songs playing at the same time. The verse is cool but the songwriting really needs work. Hoping the album isn't all like this.
That was my issue with the last single. It was legitimately like 5 different songs that were butchered and stitched back together randomly. This sound sounds a LOT more coherent to me.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Absolute meh. Everything they've done after vol. 3 just sounds so "tryhard".

Also, those guitars are weak af and the drums sounds like plastic paint buckets. Both instruments have shared those traits since vol. 3 but at least on that album it worked because of the raw production.

I hate to sound like the old man yelling at a cloud but as someone who grew up with the first two albums this just isn't the same band anymore (quite literally since 3 members are no longer in the band since that era). But good for them, with all the success they've had since then.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
have to give them the credit for achieving a guitar tone that is both farty and too dry

don't like the chorus either, whats a sick and dry mouth?

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
Is it just me, or are the guitars always totally buried in the mix? And imo, even if the guitars were turned up the tone is just not good.

I always give their new stuff a few listens cuz I wanna like it, but I'm always disappointed.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Stopped paying attention to Slipknot after the first album so coming back and listening to this? I like it. The chorus is interesting. Not the intensity I'd expect or want but they're like 300 years old now so I guess they wouldn't still be angry 20 year olds.
The lack of synthetic drugs and self harm probably are also a contributing factor lol

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
It actually puzzles me that a guy like Mick, who really deep dives into all the fine nuances of guitar sound, is okay with the production of their albums. He is always talking about guitar construction, pickups, body wood, amplifiers and all that in interviews. When has so much passion for that stuff, then it should show on the recorded songs too, imo!

There is of cause the possibility that he doesn't get a say in the recording/mix/mastering process?

Jim seems a little more indifferent about it. I guess he's happy as long as he can ride his motorcycles and drive his muscle cars! :lol:

Reaction score
Is it just me, or are the guitars always totally buried in the mix? And imo, even if the guitars were turned up the tone is just not good.

I always give their new stuff a few listens cuz I wanna like it, but I'm always disappointed.
I never thought they had interesting guitar tones. It was honestly a surprise to me when people really started trying to get the Slipknot tone and being super into what gear they were using.

Reaction score
It actually puzzles me that a guy like Mick, who really deep dives into all the fine nuances of guitar sound, is okay with the production of their albums. He is always talking about guitar construction, pickups, body wood, amplifiers and all that in interviews. When has so much passion for that stuff, then it should show on the recorded songs too, imo!

There is of cause the possibility that he doesn't get a say in the recording/mix/mastering process?

Jim seems a little more indifferent about it. I guess he's happy as long as he can ride his motorcycles and drive his muscle cars! :lol:
Being super into gear doesn't mean you know your way around a studio...and maybe he's one of those people who obsesses over gear so much that it takes someone to override his nonsense just to get the work done. Time is money and no one cares if you selected the finest Himalayan mahogany in your guitars

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Mick Thompson doesn’t write that much for Slipknot. I don’t think he has any credits the last few albums so it’s safe to say he might not have much studio input either. Could also be that Jim plays most of the guitar parts too.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
9 dudes are a lot of people to mix. :lol: (Or 6 dudes with Clown beating on shit all over the place that other guys play live)

I loved the mix on The Gray Chapter, that shit was slammin’. Haven’t heard the new stuff on good speakers yet. They definitely go for the vocals/drums being the loudest thing in the mix and everything takes a back seat to those.

I think they probably have to debate with each album how raw they want to go to give people some feel from the first record or two verses how much they want to do a modern, slick production. .5 was probably the closest to a modern production along with All Hope Is Gone, which seems rather weak in comparison to .5

There’s usually a few songs on each album I end up digging. I hold no allegiance to any particular era.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
I honestly like both singles so far. They took some getting used too, but at the end of the day I can get down with them. I do wish the guitars were more present in the mix, especially considering the badass gear they used to record these songs with.

Giest

Never a tune you can dance to.
Reaction score
Meh composition, very unremarkable mix. I really only like their first two albums, but I do like them a lot.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score

I generally don’t like their recorded sounds very much at all, either. Live, however, the guitar tones sounded much better. More saturated without being too flubby. At least around 2016 when I saw them.

makesexnotwar

Reaction score
Sounds like same shit that they keep releasing after Iowa. At least Corey's mask looks cool.

zerofocus

Reaction score
I don’t mind this song at all, its a grower but It’s definitely not up there for me

I think everything sounds like a little too “perfect” if that makes sense, it’s a very clean mix where you can pick out everything individually but nothing sounds gritty at all and think that makes it lose a little aggression

Seems everyone’s feeling the same about guitar tone, it’s too clean and precise for me, I preferred some of the older tones where it was a bit more unhinged and in your face angry almost ugly at times if that makes sense

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
I listened to it twice and both times I immediately forgot how it went....oh well I can always go listen to Three nil if I need a slipknot fix

')