New Slipknot

Sammy J

Reaction score
It’s “out there”.

Easily their best since Vol 3 for mine. Corey hasn’t sounded this good since 2001.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
Iowa is easily my favorite album. I have never loved AHIP or Vol.3 even though they both have great songs here and there. Gray Chapter has some real bangers on it imo but a couple misses as well. This album so far even with only hearing 3 songs is tope 3 Slipknot album for me. So far it just has that sound and something I felt they've been lacking for a long time. Corey's voice is the best its been in a long time, the mix on these songs sound incredible and honestly these guitar tones are amazing. The mix of Mick's Omega's and Jim Uberschall's sound fucking massive. I cant wait for the rest of the album and going to Knotfest on Thursday night!!

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
Just listened to the rest of the album because I suck at waiting and am a filthy pirate and found out it leaked. (I did buy it for what it's worth.) I have a feeling some will be disappointed, as Corey was not lying when he said it's heavy, experimental, and melodic. There is plenty of softer vocals throughout, but it has plenty of heavy moments, and they've certainly experimented with different sounds. I don't really recall track lengths on previous records, but I find it pretty interesting that there are 4 tracks in a row that are 6 minutes long. (I'm counting Solway Firth as 6 since it's 5:57, and another is 12 seconds shy of 7 minutes.)

I think the fact that I like it so much is kind of evidence towards people probably being upset by it, at least at first. Unsainted was my favorite track they released up to this point from the album, and .5 was my favorite album. (Favorite track being Nomadic, which I've heard plenty gripe about. lol) I heavily recommend giving it a chance, though, and not skipping any of it. It's not balls to the wall heavy throughout, but it has plenty of moments, and it does so many other things exceptionally well too.

I think if you genuinely like all the stuff they've released at this point (including unsainted,) you'll like the album a lot. Money well spent, in my opinion.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Just answer me this and use the spoiler tag if needed: is there ANY lead work? The first three songs have had anyway, andike I said earlier, I really like Mick and Jims lead work.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
Just answer me this and use the spoiler tag if needed: is there ANY lead work? The first three songs have had anyway, andike I said earlier, I really like Mick and Jims lead work.

Not sure if it requires spoiler tags, but I'll do it anyway just for the sake of being polite.

I've only listened through it once, so I don't know the songs front to back, but I recall some lead work. I'm drawing a blank on if there were solos and stuff like there was on .5, but the one can immediately recall is some trippy ass fuzzy almost circuit bent sounding lead line in "Spiders," but it's not particularly shreddy or anything. There are some leads, but they're not like solo leads from what I can remember. If you're looking for boatloads of leads/leads in every song, you'll probably be disappointed.

Ben Pinkus

Reaction score
Stumbled across a leak on youtube by accident. So have listened to half of the album I think now. A few really cool tracks, not sure on some. Think it'll be one you have to listen to a few times. But overall vibe seems good.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
After a few listens front to back, I like this more than .5 . It’s like a hybrid between Iowa and Vol. 3 . Heavy as fuck!!

That’s good to hear. I’m getting pretty excited for Friday so I can buy a physical copy of it. The only song I’m not super into (but was great live!) is unsainted. I also managed to hear the song cruel darling before it got taken down and I like it. Hype is real.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
I liked .5 more, but there are still some great tracks on this album. Not as front-to-backable as .5 to me, but there's only really like 1 skip. Some songs venture well outside the typical slipknot feel, but I don't think that's a detriment. I dig the vast majority of it, and the stuff I don't love I can certainly appreciate. (I'm looking at you, "My Pain.")

chinnybob

Reaction score
Only listened to it once this morning but I'm loving this. Definitely reminds me of Iowa and I reckon this is the best Corey has been in a long time. A couple of the intros to the songs had me worried because they sounded kinda generic but as soon as he comes in it goes to another level.

Also I'm a big fan of weird Slipknot so stuff like My Pain is right up my street.

Big thumbs up from me.

Ben Pinkus

Reaction score
Listening through now,

Nero Forte, Critical Darling and Birth of The Cruel my favs so far! Think this is much better than .5 (which had a few songs I really like, but don't tend to go back to).

Vibe is a mix of Iowa, V3, and a bit of .5/AHIG.

Think they have got the vibe right, do some different stuff here and there, but still hit the main things you'd want from a good slipknot album. Really impressed with the samples/synths on this record too.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I like this album very much so far! Still need more spins to separate the songs from each other better, but as one entity it's really good.

EDIT: Yeah, My Pain is weird :lol: I would never listen to it as a separate song, but as a piece of the puzzle it kinda works.

Last edited:

protest

Reaction score
Only listened to it once this morning but I'm loving this. Definitely reminds me of Iowa and I reckon this is the best Corey has been in a long time. A couple of the intros to the songs had me worried because they sounded kinda generic but as soon as he comes in it goes to another level.

Also I'm a big fan of weird Slipknot so stuff like My Pain is right up my street.

Big thumbs up from me.

Yea I'm with you. If you like Gently/Tattered and Torn/Scissors etc you'll like this album.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Gave it one spin on the way to work this morning...and I'm digging it! Of course I was listening in my Wrangler with the roof off...so I am definitely not hearing everything!

')