New Slipknot

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
The more I listen, the more this album is growing on me and I'm realizing I just need to get over the fact that the guitar work is a bit simplified from the last few albums. Also, Not Long For This World really is now one of my favorite Slipknot songs, and I feel like it would have made a better track to close the album than Solway Firth.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jwoods986

Reaction score
They didn't use any rare wood, it's just a piece of ash :lol: That's some bullshit they said because they wanted to keep it limited and drive up demand for them or because they think it's too much work to do regularly.
sandblasting and ceruse are just different methods to achieve basically the same aesthetics. Both involve keeping the grain open and then backfilling it.

Yes, the Sweetwater sandblasted guitars are ash, and show that sandblasting is something that can be done on a production guitar.

Jim's actual guitar, like the one here - , was made of some wood that is too rare to use for a production guitar (I think it was some mahogany variant). Obviously, if Fender (or Jim) really wanted to do a run of Jim Root Sandblasted Jazzmasters, they could just use ash instead.

I used to think I wanted one, until I saw that white Jazzmaster a few pages back. I'm hoping that gets made!

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Yes, the Sweetwater sandblasted guitars are ash, and show that sandblasting is something that can be done on a production guitar.

Jim's actual guitar, like the one here - , was made of some wood that is too rare to use for a production guitar (I think it was some mahogany variant). Obviously, if Fender (or Jim) really wanted to do a run of Jim Root Sandblasted Jazzmasters, they could just use ash instead.

I used to think I wanted one, until I saw that white Jazzmaster a few pages back. I'm hoping that gets made!

mahogany derivatives don't have the open grain structure to really support cerusing/sandblasting ime. I'm pretty positive that's a piece of ash on Root's guitar as well. IF it is mahogany or some derivative then they would have had to impart that texture effect manually instead of letting the grain speak for itself.
That being said, I would absolutely love a production run of Root's sandblasted guitar.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
In his rig rundown he referred to it as sandblasted mahogany and that they were in talks about a limited run.

Aesthetically you could easily get away with ash, but that'd turn tone-wood folks off, or fans who want exactly what the artist plays. They'd probably sell decently well regardless, and it'd be super cool to see a limited run.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I used to trash on these guys all the time back in the late 90's/early 00's. I don't think it was until All Hope Is Gone that I gave them a fair chance. (I was a Vai/Dream Theater fanboi back then). So far, I dig the new album. It hasn't kicked my ass and gotten me pumped up as much as 5 has/does, but I haven't had the chance to really sit with it in crank it all the way through.

Saw them with LoG a couple years back on the 5: tour and they fucking killed it. Stage show was insane and they sounded killer. Took me a while to realize that all the keg banging and auxiliary percussion does indeed add something to their sound in a unique way, not to mention the stage show.

Overall, it's pretty damn cool that a band that creates music like this with 9 fuckin' guys has had this much success. I much prefer their newer, more refined stuff to the early years but the production has a lot to do with that. Cory is a beast of a vocalist and he's continuously a walking target for the Blabbermouth trolls to feed on. I dig Weinberg's parts a bit more than I did Jordison's, but that's just personal preference. Haven't found myself loving the shit out of most of the guitar solos. That's not to take away from their skills, they can wipe the floor with me, I just prefer a more Gilmour/Petrucci/Cantrell/Dimebag approach to soloing and hitting the right notes at the right time.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I was watching the Disasterpieces show the other day, man what a show. I was watching some of their recent live clips and boy, have they gone downhill. No energy at all, not to mention a vastly weaker set list.

Also that stupid tracksuit Corey wears, what is that all about? Sid's mask and headscarf thing looks utterly stupid too. How the mighty have fallen. Slipknot used to have one of the coolest stage shows going, but that was getting on for twenty years ago now, feels like yesterday.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
I was watching the Disasterpieces show the other day, man what a show. I was watching some of their recent live clips and boy, have they gone downhill. No energy at all, not to mention a vastly weaker set list.

Also that stupid tracksuit Corey wears, what is that all about? Sid's mask and headscarf thing looks utterly stupid too. How the mighty have fallen. Slipknot used to have one of the coolest stage shows going, but that was getting on for twenty years ago now, feels like yesterday.

They've fallen so far they landed on top of the Billboard Top 200 in the US and #1 in multiple other countries and don't even comment on the energy of the recent shows if you haven't been to one. Go to one of the shows and then offer up your criticism.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
They've fallen so far they landed on top of the Billboard Top 200 in the US and #1 in multiple other countries and don't even comment on the energy of the recent shows if you haven't been to one. Go to one of the shows and then offer up your criticism.

I thought they killed it when I saw them on aug 3. Great show.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
I mean, that was the lowest energy performance I've seen from them in a while. Even during the start of this tour they were way more energetic. I saw them back when IOWA first came out and it was bonkers. At the same time they were in their late 20's and hopped up on drugs n' booze so it makes sense they'd be off the walls.

Still, even this performance looks like it'd be a blast to see. The instrumentation is SUPER on point, and the vocals are the best they've been in a long damn time. Even in the .5 days they weren't this tight. I can't get over how hilariously Chris and Clown say "666" in this performance:

I love it when bands can nail their shit live. Metallica and Korn a great examples. They are hugely on point. Rarely, if ever, a disappointing performance. Especially with metallica, pushing 60 years old and still putting on damn near perfect shows. (jokes about lars and Kirk/Rob's lame little fun ditties aside.)

There's a reason why people still give a shit about Korn and Slipknot these days and most shit from those years is gone. I can't think of much that came out on top of the numetal trend outside of Korn and Slipknot. (I wish there was more, but I'm a whore for numetal so take that how you will. Even Korn and Slipknot don't do exactly what they did before, but they still survived.)

fps

Kit
Reaction score

Absolutely. Youtube footage is a terrible way to judge a show, live music is meant to be experienced live. More than that, it's the person watching their screen who is often the issue, as they're utterly not up for the experience - an audience member does more than simply observe.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
A lot of bands I've seen at festivals put on amazing shows, great sound and really energetic performances but when I check the live stream or videos when I get home it sounds awful and without the experience of being there it looks like a bland performance. Thats one of the reason I've grown to dislike live DVDs, they can sound so thin and come across lifeless but its the complete opposite in the crowd. There is no substitute for being in a crowd surrounded by noise experiencing the band in front of you.

I can't believe this album is number 1 here in Ireland and topping the charts in so many other countries. It goes to show just how little physical and even digital music is being bought nowadays because of streaming.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score

Well they're almost 20 years older now, so it's kinda logical that they're not as insane live anymore.

And also, disasterpieces is a dvd carefully edited to be as intense as possible booth visually as well as sonically. It's not a livestream, which is what you're comparing it with.

protest

Reaction score
Not sure if this is old news or not, but for the album:

Mick: Signature Jackson/Duncans through an Omega Obsidian and Iridium. Signature Jackson with P90's into a '65 Super Reverb.

Jim: Signature Fenders with EMG's through a custom modded Uberschall and a Mark IIC+

Pretty standard for most of the album, but I wasn't expecting to see Mick using P90's into a Fender, or a Mark IIC+ to be on there.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
Not sure if this is old news or not, but for the album:

Mick: Signature Jackson/Duncans through an Omega Obsidian and Iridium. Signature Jackson with P90's into a '65 Super Reverb.

Jim: Signature Fenders with EMG's through a custom modded Uberschall and a Mark IIC+

Pretty standard for most of the album, but I wasn't expecting to see Mick using P90's into a Fender, or a Mark IIC+ to be on there.

Yeah for Jim it was his Uber that he used on Vol. 3 and another Uber with the Purple mod. Not sure what that is TBH. The MarkIIC+ was apparently used on old Metallica records.
I think the part with the P-90's was with the fuzz pedal on Spiders maybe?

I would love too see a current rig rundown and see what Jim is using live. Not sure where he stands with Orange these days but his sig amp and cab are discontinued it appears.

ChugThisBoy

Reaction score
Yeah for Jim it was his Uber that he used on Vol. 3 and another Uber with the Purple mod. Not sure what that is TBH. The MarkIIC+ was apparently used on old Metallica records.
I think the part with the P-90's was with the fuzz pedal on Spiders maybe?

I would love too see a current rig rundown and see what Jim is using live. Not sure where he stands with Orange these days but his sig amp and cab are discontinued it appears.

This is some gold info. I'll need to dig into Helix and somehow try to match their sound. As for Orange, I don't think that Jim is with them anymore. Ola (Englund) mentioned something like that in one of the latest videos I believe. But I can be very wrong about that so don't take my word for granted.

Merrekof

Reaction score
I really want to like it, but I just can't get into Slipknot anymore.
Was already the same with .5 the gray chapter, I don't feel their newer material.
I know what you mean, but Unsainted is awesome. It got me back into listening to Slipknot. It is still too early to say but for now this might be my favourite Slipknot song. And I've been listening to Slipknot since I first heard Left behind, in the early 2000's. Haven't heard the latest song though

Latest posts

')