New song by Act Zero!

chasm144

Reaction score
Hi,

We've just finished recording and mixing a song with the POD X3.
The guitars are quadtracked and uses two sounds, deitys son and big bottom.
The drums are a blend of superior drummer sounds and drumkit from hell.

We play a fusion between melodic death and metalcore so if you have personal differences with this music please keep them to yourself.

If you like what we do and want to help us, please show your support by adding us to friends or join our facebook-group:

Login | Facebook

Listen to the song "Hollow" on myspace!

www.myspace.com/actzero

Regards

//Robin

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Koppas

Reaction score
I thought it sounded fantastic! Tight and yet very flowing sound :hbang: What program did you use to record and mix in?

chasm144

Reaction score
I thought it sounded fantastic! Tight and yet very flowing sound :hbang: What program did you use to record and mix in?

Thank you man! It's good to hear you enjoy it :)
We used cubase sx3 since we're most comfortable with it, I don't really know what advantages you'll get from the newer versions but thinking about upgrading. I think it is pretty easy to use and would recommend it but others might disagree.

:shred:

Koppas

Reaction score
Allright! Im also using cubase sx3 :) What kind of plugins would you recommend i get for it? Im using the cubase eq right now but it feels like i need a little more than that to do a really good mix

chasm144

Reaction score
Allright! Im also using cubase sx3 :) What kind of plugins would you recommend i get for it? Im using the cubase eq right now but it feels like i need a little more than that to do a really good mix

There are many tools to make your mix sound good. Personally I don't like the cubase eq because it feels very limited, there are many good freeware VST's that have more parameters that sounds different. In case you haven't tried you should use comrpression as well, it's one of the most important tools in mixing.

It's a bit hard to understand how it works (in the beginning) but give it some time and read about it and I guarantee it will do wonders for your recordings.

Do you use pod/toneport as well? In that case I can help you out

/Robin

Koppas

Reaction score
There are many tools to make your mix sound good. Personally I don't like the cubase eq because it feels very limited, there are many good freeware VST's that have more parameters that sounds different. In case you haven't tried you should use comrpression as well, it's one of the most important tools in mixing.

It's a bit hard to understand how it works (in the beginning) but give it some time and read about it and I guarantee it will do wonders for your recordings.

Do you use pod/toneport as well? In that case I can help you out

/Robin

I use a toneport ux1 but i've got all the pod tones in it (got it from the line6 website) So what plugins should i use if i would use quad tracking and blend 2 different amps? First eq than add some compression on it? Thanks a lot!

chasm144

Reaction score
I use a toneport ux1 but i've got all the pod tones in it (got it from the line6 website) So what plugins should i use if i would use quad tracking and blend 2 different amps? First eq than add some compression on it? Thanks a lot!

Well, first off try how well you manage with two tracks. Quadtracking is difficult and besides from very tight guitarplaying it also requires some mixing skills. You need to find at least two sounds that feels that they compensate eachother and manage to blend them by EQ and compression. I have used groupcompression on all the 4 tracks to glue them together and it really helps.
Just remember two that using different amps/cabs gets you better separation.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well, first off try how well you manage with two tracks. Quadtracking is difficult and besides from very tight guitarplaying it also requires some mixing skills. You need to find at least two sounds that feels that they compensate eachother and manage to blend them by EQ and compression. I have used groupcompression on all the 4 tracks to glue them together and it really helps.
Just remember two that using different amps/cabs gets you better separation.

Agreed. Quadtracking can be a huge pain in the ass, especially if you play a lot of fast stuff with frequent trem-picking/legato/etc. However if you play tight enough it can sound really cool. That said if done right 2 tracks can work great.

On the CD I'm currently recording with my band, we use 4 rhythm tracks but 3 different amps. I use amp #1 L and R. Then amp #2 left and amp #3 right. That way you have some variety on both sides but some cohesion as well. I'm really happy with the results but you all can be the judge when it's finished and I share it with everyone.

I haven't got into any compression on guitars though. I prefer to use a tube screamer and high-pass filters to tighten up the tone rather than compression. However part of that is because I'm still not very experienced with compression techniques. I do use some compression on the drums however.

chasm144

Reaction score
Agreed. Quadtracking can be a huge pain in the ass, especially if you play a lot of fast stuff with frequent trem-picking/legato/etc. However if you play tight enough it can sound really cool. That said if done right 2 tracks can work great.

On the CD I'm currently recording with my band, we use 4 rhythm tracks but 3 different amps. I use amp #1 L and R. Then amp #2 left and amp #3 right. That way you have some variety on both sides but some cohesion as well. I'm really happy with the results but you all can be the judge when it's finished and I share it with everyone.

I haven't got into any compression on guitars though. I prefer to use a tube screamer and high-pass filters to tighten up the tone rather than compression. However part of that is because I'm still not very experienced with compression techniques. I do use some compression on the drums however.

Sounds a bit like my mixing approach :) looking forward to hear the results!

Latest posts

')