New song: Darker Days (Hufschmid OTT pickup content. BIG SOUNDS)

• Thread starter MF_Kitten
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I´ve been working on this for a long time now (kinda long, i dunno...), and it marks another big step for me: being able to discard things that don´t work for the song, even though they´re awesome. being awesome doesn´t help if it´s working against the song, ya know?

this song is in open Ab tuning on my RG6: Ab-Eb-Ab-Eb-Ab-Eb

the pickup is the Hufschmid OTT in the bridge (including cleans)

i have no idea if the mix is good at all, as i´ve gotten the inevitable tired ears from over-listening :lol:

tell me what you think!

<div style="width:473px; border:solid #999999 1px; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_ExtBG.png')">
<a href='http://www.soundclick.com/mfkitten'>
<div style="background-color:width:460px; height:45px; cursor:pointer; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_460.png');"></div></a>
<div id="lower"><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" height="60" width="473" data="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />
<param name="allowNetworking" value="internal" />
<param name="movie" value="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf" />
<param name="loop" value="false" />
<param name="menu" value="false" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
<param name="flashvars" value="playType=single&songid=9107981&scid=9107981&q=hi&ext=1&autoplay=0" />
<param name="scale" value="noscale" />
<param name="salign" value="b" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
</object></div></div>

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RiffRaff

Reaction score
Awesome dude.

I don't think the actual distorted guitar tone sounds as huge as some of the other mixes you've done but it suits nicely within this song imo. Your ambient guitar sounds are awesome. :yesway:

Edit: After the 3rd listen that section from 3:53 to 4:50 is so fucking sick. :metal:

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
It was been FAR too long. :lol:

It sounds pretty good. Although I hate to say this and i might be wrong, but it seems your kick is "pumping" ever so slightly, though i gives that "punchy" sound a lot of people what. :)

:cheers: :wub:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Wow... bRUtAL!

The palm-muted lines seem a little scratchy to me, but that could just be my laptop speakers. :)

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i could make it less compressed-to-mother-of-fuck if you guys want :lol:

thanks for the lurbs! :)

edit: also, the creepy crawly guitars (the ones that come in first in the intro) are played by tapping the side of the pick on the string right after the bridge saddle, behind the brige pickup. there´s a sweet spot there that gives you that bendy dissonant sound :)

cataclysm_child

SS.org UnRegular
Reaction score
Loved it! I'm working on learning that discard awesome riff's technique myself. It's hard :p

cataclysm_child

SS.org UnRegular
Reaction score
"being able to discard things that don´t work for the song, even though they´re awesome. being awesome doesn´t help if it´s working against the song, ya know?"

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
"being able to discard things that don´t work for the song, even though they´re awesome. being awesome doesn´t help if it´s working against the song, ya know?"

hahahaha, yeah! i thought you meant the creepy crawly picking thingy :lol:

but yeah, i´ve saved up all the awesome things that got discarded, and i´m saving it for later :D

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
good god damn this could easily be a soundtrack playing constantly in my fucking head!! I LOVE IT!!!! \m/

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
AWESOME! I've said it before and I'll say it again, MF_Kitten ROCKS!!!!! That tone is crazy!!!!! I will say though, on a couple of the palm-muting passages, it felt like the guitar and bass drum parts were out of sync with each other.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
you´re right about the "out of sync" part. that´s me wanting to get the track done, instead of trying to get my playing together :lol:

and thanks to you too, jym! the "sounds like a soundtrack" comment is something i´ve gotten since i started playing. it´s like there´s something soundtrack-ish that runs natively in my veins or something, because everything i make sounds like a soundtrack :lol:

i think it´s a good thing though, i love soundtracks! :D

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
000 0 0 0 0 00 00 000 0 0 00 0 0 0 00

yes, why this is a droney song! :p

it´s on purpose. i tried doing the whole progression thing with different notes and chords and whatnot, but it didn´t feel right. i wanted this to be a fat and sluggish droning song.

revclay

Reaction score
Sweet mix! Despite the playing things that have already been brought up, this sounds very excellent, indeed. Well done.

Reaction score
Ya i would definitely go less compression on the overall mix and put a loudness maximizer on it. The guitar tone is awesome!

I just hate what sound click does to these files. You guys should start using DropBox

Latest posts

')