New Song Recording need advice

• Thread starter Chaplin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chaplin

DKBT
Reaction score
So as a group my band is pretty satisfied with the arrangement of the song, so as this isn't a post asking for advice on arrangement I'll take opinions happily.

I actually just finished recording a track for my band. I'm very new to pro tools 9, I use podfarm as an interface and the guitars are recorded through the Lecto amp sims. I did both the LE456 and the Lecto one.

We mic'd the kick drum, snare, and and 2 overhead mic's.
Drum replaced the kick and snare. Programmed the toms, and recorded the cymbals live.

This is what I've come up with in the mix, band mates said everything sounded mono, dry, and that the guitars lacked punch.

We are doing what we can to release this track as soon as possible but I want it to sound as good as we can get it with what we have.

TL;DR please listen and criticize this noob while giving me advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DespoticOrder

Slave Driver
Reaction score
How hard did you pan guitars? They sound kinda narrow. I would probably try to roll off some of the high end and a little gain on guitars if possible, too.

Chaplin

DKBT
Reaction score
My bandmates said it sounded mono too, but i have one set of guitars panned 60 in each direction, then another set panned 20 in each direction.

DespoticOrder

Slave Driver
Reaction score
That's probably what it is. Most people usually pan between 80 and 100. Widening it will give it more punch and clarity in most cases. Its kind of a rule of thumb to pan as wide as possible for metal rhythms.

Are the ones at 20 just layers of the outside ones? Or are you playing something entirely different? If they're the same, Id pan your outside ones to 100, then your insides around 80 or 90. Then its probably best to turn the insides down in volume so that your outside will sound dominant, but the inner layers would still fatten it up even when they're quiet. And of course, you'd probably have to turn up the outsides some to compensate for lowering the insides.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
I'd also take some high end out of the guitars, everything above 8kHz. It's really hissy and fizzy at the moment.

I'd also add some reverb. Use an Auxiliary, send a tiny amount of everything to it to give the mix a sense of space.

')