New Song "Stream" Carvin DC600 action!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zepos16

Reaction score
I like your rhythm tone man! What did you record it with?

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
Sick riffs! Beautiful tone, too!

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
I really like it actually. Great playing...I feel like it could use some TLC in the eq department. Also, like most other soundcloud files, it's really compressed and "loud" but I feel your playing skills would lend themselves to a lighter compression/limiting style.

I really like the playing and tune.

Taylord

Reaction score
I really like it actually. Great playing...I feel like it could use some TLC in the eq department. Also, like most other soundcloud files, it's really compressed and "loud" but I feel your playing skills would lend themselves to a lighter compression/limiting style.

I really like the playing and tune.

Thanks man, I appreciate that. What are you hearing that needs work?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score

I'll second this - the mix is audibly pumping. Listen carefully where the drums first come in - you have this echoey clean sound that's slowly building and growing and swelling, and suddenly the first couple drum hits occur and, WHOOSH it gets sucked back. It swells back out when the drums stop and then does it all over again. Same thing kind of happens when the guitars kick in, and then the bass jumps WAY out when the guitars mute for a second, before getting sucked back in when the guitars return. It sounds like the whole mix is suffocating, really, strugging to break free of the other parts but just getting smashed by a compressor.

It's ok for the mix to NOT be at full volume intensity before the drums come in, and for the clean intro to be a bit quieter and more delicate. If anything, it'll build a sense of drama and make the drum intro more effective. :yesway:

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score

A lot of what drew said. I personally feel as though it's squished together. Let me ask a question: What are you mixing with? You obviously put a lot of time and effort into beautiful guitars and great parts, but are you paying enough attention to "mixing?"

Seems to me that there are too many parts fighting for sonic space. I have pretty good ears. Have you put the time into eq'ing and the right (not the most expensive) gear and approach for tone? It's a tough one, it's really tough being a bedroom composer/producer/sound engineer. But I personally feel that you are moving in the right direction.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Also, since I neglected to mention this in my original post - that IS a beautiful guitar. :yesway:

Taylord

Reaction score
A lot of what drew said. I personally feel as though it's squished together. Let me ask a question: What are you mixing with? You obviously put a lot of time and effort into beautiful guitars and great parts, but are you paying enough attention to "mixing?"

Seems to me that there are too many parts fighting for sonic space. I have pretty good ears. Have you put the time into eq'ing and the right (not the most expensive) gear and approach for tone? It's a tough one, it's really tough being a bedroom composer/producer/sound engineer. But I personally feel that you are moving in the right direction.

Good points guys. I appreciate it you taking the time. I just have to work with the balance of getting the volume up and things hitting hard without going overboard I suppose. More or less using the same gear most guys on here are using. While some frown upon bedroom projects, that's what I've got to work with for now.

It is tough balancing the three things you mentioned. Sometimes guys are good players but have limited production knowledge, while others aren't great but can fix it up with a good production. I'm just smeh at all of them I suppose haha.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Also, since I neglected to mention this in my original post - that IS a beautiful guitar. :yesway:

Major drool action. I'm REALLY tempted to rip the OP off and order one just like it :D

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Good points guys. I appreciate it you taking the time. I just have to work with the balance of getting the volume up and things hitting hard without going overboard I suppose. More or less using the same gear most guys on here are using. While some frown upon bedroom projects, that's what I've got to work with for now.

It is tough balancing the three things you mentioned. Sometimes guys are good players but have limited production knowledge, while others aren't great but can fix it up with a good production. I'm just smeh at all of them I suppose haha.

I really believe though that if you put a couple of months into the art of mixing you'll be able to do it :) Not saying that the mix is THAT bad, just saying I get the impression you can go much further.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score

I've got nothing against bedroom projects - hell, I'm getting ready to release one myself. I think the fact we can make awesome sounding recordings in our bedrooms (I recently graduated from a "bedroom studio" to a second bedroom converted into a studio, but it's still technically a bedroom even though I don't sleep there) is incredibly exciting, and it's crazy how much technology has improved even in the last ten years.

I don't think your problem is you're working in a bedroom or working with "prosumer" grade gear. Each individual part of that mix sounds good to me, it's how they come together where you're running into problems. And here I think this may be the major noose to hang yourself with in a bedroom studio - sometimes, less really IS more, and it's possible (in fact, quite easy) to completely over-process something given all the firepower that even a hobbyist setup has today.

I suspect if you A/B your mix against a commercial recording, you'll find that yours is on the hotter side... And your mix probably has less headroom to work with than your average professional recording (more EQ clashing between instruments, less perfect transient response on the raw tracks, etc). Remember that mastering is less about "let's make things as loud as we can!" than it is about just making things sound better and that even if your mix isn't quite as hot as the new Born of Orisis album when you get it to a good point, that's totally fine because if all we cared about was volume we'd brickwall until even Death Magnetic sounded clear.

Idunno... Long story short, whatever you're doing to "master" your recordings, do less of it. :lol:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I really believe though that if you put a couple of months into the art of mixing you'll be able to do it :) Not saying that the mix is THAT bad, just saying I get the impression you can go much further.

Also, not saying that this is something you're doing, as I don't know your workflow, but if your approach to mixing is to save a bunch of presets and use them every time you pull up a new project, stop. Starting with a clean slate whenever you mix something and trusting your ears rather than a saved version of what you did last time will help you get better at this a LOT faster than trying to automate the process.

schwiz

Lefty
Reaction score
Also, not saying that this is something you're doing, as I don't know your workflow, but if your approach to mixing is to save a bunch of presets and use them every time you pull up a new project, stop. Starting with a clean slate whenever you mix something and trusting your ears rather than a saved version of what you did last time will help you get better at this a LOT faster than trying to automate the process.

Ugh... the truth hurts some times. I need to stop doing this.

-Bedroom Studio Recorder

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ugh... the truth hurts some times. I need to stop doing this.

-Bedroom Studio Recorder

:lol:

It will suck for the first couple months. A year from now, your mixes are going to be better for it. :yesway:

(It's kind of a pet peeve of mine - over at Metalguitarist.org we get inundated with drive-by posters posting "mixtest" videos where they're using Ola's AxeFX patch and Nolly's bass patch and Bulb's drum presets and guitar EQ presets and DI tracks they may have recorded themselves but like a quarter of the time downloaded them somewhere too, and talking about how they're "producers. This is why we just ban people who sign up and immediately start posting spam. :lol:)

Kylezan

Reaction score
Wow beautiful carvin. I have been eyeing them for awhile.

How do you like the instrument? Not a bad mix by any means but I agree with everyone'es input for the most part.

I especially enjoy the clean tones though!

toiletstand

/\'...'/\
Reaction score
my complaints are pretty much the same as everyone else in here except i am the worst when it comes to recording hahaha. i will say i dug the playing and the cleaner sounding guitar section as the song went on though! and that guitar is still f'ing gorgeous.

')