New Standard Tuning

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
For your high e, I'd suggest a 10 or 11. For the 68 in F I'd suggest at least an 80 or 85(minimun). But try those gauges you listed first, you might like the way a 68 in F sounds/feels. Btw I use a 95 for F and E :lol:.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stubhead

Feral Buddha
Reaction score
I kept a guitar around in this tuning for a few years, and I'm going to string up one up again soon. It's great for getting different ideas - almost everything sound good, but weird, you know? Getting out of old habits is the point, to me... I ended up unhooking it because I was working on reading issues and pedal steel, and keeping track of three tunings was frying my poor li'l head.... :eek: I'm going to hook one up again any day now though.

It's not gonna work with standard string sets. I've got enough strings to start a store here, so what I had come up with that worked is 56-40-26-14-10-9 or thereabouts - you're not going to be bending that high G no matter what, it technically should be a high B, when they make a nice, durable, loud .005" string let me know. For down-tuned, 60-44-32-19-13-9 or so would work - you'll probably have to refile the nut just a hair but I've got two guitars set up for this and they're both in standard tuning right now with no problems. Learn about filing nut angles before you start...:nono: There's a page of string gauges/tension/pitch all figured out at the Steel Guitar Forum but the site is down now, so I'll post it when it comes back up.

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to be ditching the idea of putting a 68 on for an F then, gah!

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to bump this up again but I watched an interview with Martin from Meshuggah recently and he said their 8s have a 70 for a low F at 30 inch scale? Is that correct, surelöy that would mean a 68 at 28 inch would be possible?

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
My 27" 8-string currently has a 68 for the Low F & it works just fine. Just for preference though, I'm problably gonna bump it up to a 72 or 74.

Reaction score
I've been seriously considering this for my Ibanez MMM1 but I have no idea what string gauges to use. It's got a 28 inch scale length and I thought just sticking a set of Elixir Baritone strings (012 016 022 038 052 068) on might do the trick But I wonder if the 012 will be too heavy for a high E and the 068 too light for a low F.

Anyone got any opinions?

just buy a pack of eight strings. us e the lower 3 and upper 3. that should work. might feel wierd goin from thick to thnner strig though

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Cool! As soon as I get my time machine fixed I'll give ellrek a ride back so he can try that.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.:lol:)

')