New Strandberg. 5 string Guitar

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
But it's just kind of funny to me how we guitarists get in an uproar over something that's "different". I figured we, as 7-string guitarists, would have more of an open mind for "different" instruments.

If you don't like the guy or his music, I guess that's different. I don't know who he is and never sought out his music.
I don't think anyone is exactly "in an uproar" about it in the slightest. Thing is that this sort of thing has been attempted more than once in the past, from the infamous Pentatone stuff to Schecters, always tuned in fifths and aiming for different markets, so it's quite funny to see the hyperbolic marketing language applied here like "gamechanger" and attempting to use Collier's current appeal to push this as this sort of never attempted thing on the guitar market. Naturally, one goes to check it out and it's basically a non-baritone take on the 5ths tuned 5-string guitars that were around before, hence my jokes about it.

I'm not a fan of his music, but I respect his approach and passion and I find him quite entertaining, so no "hate" for Collier here. I'm just very tired, as I'm sure many people are, of these blatantly hyperbolic claims marketing departments LOVE to come up with, which are the equivalent of the "you won't BELIEVE what this SIMPLE TRICK sounds like" tropes on video titles for the press.

The product itself is not what would appeal to me in the .strandberg* catalogue, as I have fiddled with all 5ths tunings before and I didn't quite gel with that myself, but if someone digs the concept, great. I do hope MikeH is completely wrong with his prediction, though. :lol:

NotDonVito

molesta la breastas
Reaction score
How do you manage to rip off Alex Gregory of all people

Also I see Guitar World is still in peak dickriding/clickbait form
I legitimately thought the MAESTRO had some patent for this shit in the US or something.. that or nobody thought 5 string guitars were commercially viable since the cello blaster. I think the idea of a 5 string is cool, but not strandberg price tag cool.

Also I've never heard of this player, but as soon as I saw him I knew SSO dudes were gonna hate him cause he's young/good looking, the Tim Henson effect. Like what's the psychological link in metal guitar players thinking you're cool and being 40+ year old caveman. Like if this was the strandberg Sammy Duet signature 5 string, it would be weird, but people wouldn't be as nasty towards the player.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Also I've never heard of this player, but as soon as I saw him I knew SSO dudes were gonna hate him cause he's young/good looking, the Tim Henson effect.
That is such a weird takeaway that I think it says a lot more about you than it does the forum.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
I really, really don't understand people getting their panties in a bunch about this. It's just like some bands - if you don't like their music, don't listen.

If you don't like this 5-string, don't buy it.

They sell a 6-string version. Looking at the Strandberg site, it's $2995.

For me, that's a bit too much so I won't be buying it (6-string version). But I do like the colors, the inlays, etc. It's different than the normal Strandbergs.

But it's just kind of funny to me how we guitarists get in an uproar over something that's "different". I figured we, as 7-string guitarists, would have more of an open mind for "different" instruments.

If you don't like the guy or his music, I guess that's different. I don't know who he is and never sought out his music.
Nobody is in an "uproar"....chill!

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is exactly "in an uproar" about it in the slightest. Thing is that this sort of thing has been attempted more than once in the past, from the infamous Pentatone stuff to Schecters, always tuned in fifths and aiming for different markets, so it's quite funny to see the hyperbolic marketing language applied here like "gamechanger" and attempting to use Collier's current appeal to push this as this sort of never attempted thing on the guitar market. Naturally, one goes to check it out and it's basically a non-baritone take on the 5ths tuned 5-string guitars that were around before, hence my jokes about it.

I'm not a fan of his music, but I respect his approach and passion and I find him quite entertaining, so no "hate" for Collier here. I'm just very tired, as I'm sure many people are, of these blatantly hyperbolic claims marketing departments LOVE to come up with, which are the equivalent of the "you won't BELIEVE what this SIMPLE TRICK sounds like" tropes on video titles for the press.

The product itself is not what would appeal to me in the .strandberg* catalogue, as I have fiddled with all 5ths tunings before and I didn't quite gel with that myself, but if someone digs the concept, great. I do hope MikeH is completely wrong with his prediction, though. :lol:

This exactly.

The only difference between @Fred the Shred's and my opinion? I couldn't be arsed to explain it.

Thanks Fred.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Pretty much nailed it. I don't even know who the guy is, I just think the marketing is hilarious and the article from Guitar World sounds like Ola hired a PR guy to write it lol.

It does remind me that I've also never seen the Celloblasters used their intended way. Either as a baritone tuned down to drop tunings without the high E, or Clawfinger's weird GGGDG tuning.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Also I've never heard of this player, but as soon as I saw him I knew SSO dudes were gonna hate him cause he's young/good looking, the Tim Henson effect.
I'm the hottest guy here by miles and everyone loves me.

')