New Studio Monitor Advice?

• Thread starter AlexWadeWC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
So I'm looking into upgrading my current studio monitors (Mackie MR5's, Gen 1).

I'm contemplating two set ups:

2 Yamaha HS50M monitors and 1 HS10W sub

or just 2 Yamaha HS80M monitors

I was told by a friend that usually 8" monitors are more "true to sound" than 5" monitors, but the room I write/record in is so small (about 15'x20') I'm afraid the 8" with the sub would be too much low end for the room.

So would it be a better idea to lighten up on the low end from the monitors and get 5" and include the sub, or just to use 8" by themselves?

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tbshreddin

Reaction score
Honestly, I own the HS50Ms and no sub, I do the majority of my mixing with them. I do wish, though, that I had gone with the HS80Ms. I think with just those alone you'll get a much more accurate sound and that your low end will be represented well enough. The 50s are great, but I feel combined with a sub, there's a tendency to over-estimate the amount of bass frequencies you're letting through.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
The 8's should be adequate for a room that size without a sub.

If you like the tonal character of the mackie's, maybe you should consider the mr8's or 824's. There would be less of an adjustment period for your ears. I'm biased though since i love my hr824's.

Alternately the sub could be good to have as a reference that you could use to doublecheck a mix's low end content.

gordon_mlz

Reaction score
I vote for the HS80M's as well. Killer monitors, and enough rumble by themselves for a room that size for sure.

TasmanSam

Reaction score
1 more vote for the HS80's here, I upgraded from my M audio BX5a's and the difference is astounding, so clear and even across the spectrum. Plus they have the dip switches on the back in case you are having room troubles. :yesway:

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
I have hs50ms, three of my mates have hs80ms.

The 80s are louder and have more low end. But the 50s are still very clear and possibly a little punchier. I kind of wish I'd spent a little more and got the 80s, but I'm definitely not disappointed with the 50s.

Mikemtm

Reaction score
I would go with the HS80s and no sub woofer. However, I would add a monitor isolation pad. I use the Primacoustic RX7 HF Recoil Stabilizer Monitor Isolation Pad. I feel it's better than the Auralex version (and more expensive unfortunately.) They were a big improvement. These will help you with mixing especially if you are recording your own guitars before heading in to the studio.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
I agree with the hs80s. whilst the 50s are great, they lack the low end a little. PErsonally I just use some foam instead of an isolation pad. works exactly the same but it was free!

BC8String

Reaction score
I have owned Event's "Studio Precision 8" monitors for two years and love them. I plan on upgrading to the Event "Opals" in about two months but I'll keep my Precision 8's for sure.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
I have owned Event's "Studio Precision 8" monitors for two years and love them. I plan on upgrading to the Event "Opals" in about two months but I'll keep my Precision 8's for sure.

Event Opals: $4000 a pair

Event ASP8s: $2000 a pair

Yamaha HS80Ms: $700 a pair

There is a significant difference here in cost, but not a huge difference in quality between the cheaper two.

troyguitar

Reaction score
The HS80M's are exactly what I plan to use myself starting next year. Seems like the best option before the diminishing returns of $1000++ stuff comes into play.

mstone564

Reaction score
Here's the truth, judging by how small your room is from pics on your Facebook, the HS80's are going to be a total disaster unless you get some bass traps in there.

You would actually be BETTER off with monitors that have a 5 inch woofer (simply because they're more forgiving in small rooms) and then treat the room appropriately.

AntonioPetrole

Reaction score
although this is somewhat of a necrobump, check out the Equator D5's. I settled on them and will never look back.

skalla

Reaction score
Usually you will get more trouble adapting to your room acoustics when adding a subwoofer instead of a pair of larger speakers. Also the price of the systems goes quickly much higher with a subwoofer.

Also there's an urban legend going around that small rooms can't reproduce low-end well but the truth is once you get below the lowest room mode frequency, the room starts to act like a pressure vessel where you can hear frequencies down to 0Hz if the walls are rigid enough and if your system can produce the signal

Yes, I see that you've already decided, but if you're having doubts again you might see my post :p

Plant

Reaction score
really? Is one pair just not broken in? Return them to Equator if they are defective, their customer service is awesome from what I hear

They said, the monitors are OK. And offered to return them. However, sending monitors back will cost me about 200$, so I decided not to waste money for it.

Of course, I tried to brake them in, but no results.

')