New subwoofer

• Thread starter Desecrated
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
D

Desecrated

I think this think has been posted before, But it was published in a swedish science magazine this week, so I thought I would post it again.

Eminent Technology: home

Why I´m reposting this is because I want to make a connection to this thread;

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/27812-how-much-too-much.html

So right now in theory we have the possibility to amplify the 1 hertz note, we just need the strings and instrument to do it.

Like durero said;

"start redesigning the neck with a graphite-composite"

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Want to hear what 5Hz sounds like? A new woofer technology unlike any other and a new product category for home audio. This is the first home audio woofer delivering true response to DC. The Thigpen Rotary Woofer is the worlds first true infrasonic home audio or home theater woofer. Conventional subwoofers roll off rapidly below 20Hz. With no cone the rotary woofer achieves high efficiency at very low frequencies. Most subwoofers have a difficult time producing acoustic output below 20Hz at audible levels. They generally require large amounts of equalization, distortion rises rapidly, and even the most expensive available cannot produce significant output below 10Hz. Subwoofer electronics usually contain a cutoff filter which sharply rolls off content to the subwoofer below 20Hz to protect the speaker. On the other hand, the rotary woofer has enough acoustic output to move an open door back and forth .5” between 1 and 5Hz! It has enough output to find resonance frequencies of walls and ceilings in a room. It requires no equalization to achieve flat response to below 1Hz. Microphones have low frequency capability that far exceeds the low frequency output of current subwoofers. In many cases infrasonic information is in a recording, it is not being reproduced by the sound system. A missing link in sound reproduction. Experience special effects like never before. If you want to hear and feel the 4-5 hertz fundamental frequency from a helicopter rotor, the low frequency rumble of wind, the space of a concert hall or infrasonic information contained in an explosion, this is the only woofer technology available. Over the years the generally accepted low frequency limit of hearing has been 20Hz, some suggesting 16Hz. However nothing existed to produce significant enough output to change this belief. This development will spawn new special effects and we will begin to understand the true low frequency limit of human hearing. Currently engineering development is underway for rotary woofer utilization in theme park attractions, concert venues, and professional audio.

That seems like too much bullshit, namely because they keep saying "hear 5Hz".

HOW?! :lol:

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
I believe Desecrated is right - it's an amplification problem, not a hearing problem. Probably everyone on this board has felt frequencies lower than 20Hz with their bodies - pyro at rock shows, movie sound effects, loud construction sites, etc.

As I understand it 20Hz is just the traditional guideline for the transition between what we hearing with our ears and with other nerves in our body like vibrations on our skin. The lower the frequency the easier it is to feel with our skin but this requires significant sound pressure levels.

I'm sure I read somewhere that there are many old church cathedral organs in the world with very hearable notes below 20Hz.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
I understand about the whole transition thing but they refer to "hearing" it excesively alongside feeling it. :scratch:

I don't know. It still sounds cool, and the engineering that has gone into that is very, very impressive to be able to get clear notes that low. :)

D

Desecrated

Durero,
I read the same article with the church organ.
Can´t find it now.

D

Desecrated

Organ Oddities and World Records

"The largest pipe of a 64' stop is more than 20 meters (22 yards) long and produces a frequency of about 8 Hz! Many large organs do have a 64' stop on the console and in their stoplists but except for the organs mentioned below all of them are acoustic fakes, that is they are a combination of an existing 32' plus a Fifth extension 21 1/3' (that together produce a differential tone giving a slight 64' impression.

There are only two organs worldwide that have a complete 64' rank going down to the sub-subcontra-C:
• AUS, Sydney, Town Hall:
• USA, Atlantic City, Convention Hall:
"

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
It doesnt say anything about hearing it though. :lol:

I'm going to earn how to make these things at University. Its gonna rule. :lol:

msherman

Banned
Reaction score
.....and require a cabinet as large as an attic:nuts: Perhaps a endorsement for joint compound might be a good idea, I can see the cracks in the walls now.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
If I ever get to atlanta I'm gonna try to play that freaking organ :lol: I love them :wub: and 8 Hz fuck yeah!

Reaction score
Now we'd just need an 8-string bass with a low F#, string gauge on 8th string:Golden Gate Bridge suspension cable.

D

Desecrated

Knucklehead has something like that.

BstringB.jpg

"Meant to got to 15.44 Hz, octave down B, .275""

D

Desecrated

So we just need a little thicker strings and the bass to play it.
And the attic to amp the sub.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Crap - $26,000

:mad:
Yeah I agree with that!
Seems like they're just a room-installation concept at this point.

But the design looks so simple I can't imagine why someone couldn't mass-produce them and design a portable cabinet for one.

I mean shit, if bass players can be convinced to haul around those 8x10 Ampeg cabs everywhere then anything's possible!

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
Interesting thing!

Here we have a big organ too, i have to play it :lol:

')