New symphonic song idea, please comment on mix!

• Thread starter KholdStare
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KholdStare

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So I've been playing around with this idea the past few days, and finally decided
to start recording it yesterday. I would love to get your opinions, especially on the mix.
The guitar seems to fit well in the mix, but it's a bit "non-conventional" shall we say...
I'm so used to it now, that I can't objectively say if it's good or not, so please help out :)

Thanks so much for listening!

<div style="width:473px; border:solid #999999 1px; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_ExtBG.png')">
<a href='http://www.soundclick.com/tabularasacy'>
<div style="background-color:width:460px; height:45px; cursor:pointer; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_460.png');"></div></a>
<div id="lower"><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" height="60" width="473" data="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />
<param name="allowNetworking" value="internal" />
<param name="movie" value="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf" />
<param name="loop" value="false" />
<param name="menu" value="false" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
<param name="flashvars" value="playType=single&songid=8091221&scid=8091221&q=hi&ext=1" />
<param name="scale" value="noscale" />
<param name="salign" value="b" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
</object></div></div>

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

polloymedio

yamyamyam
Reaction score
Really nice ideas :) Here are my mixing crits:

1. I would lower the initial pads a bit so that the clean guitar can be a protagonist here. Doing so would make more of a contrast between the first part and that second part, the dynamics would be affected obviously and the punch will be a bit more noticeable...

2. Clean guitar could also use some more compression

3. Kick drum could use some "fatiness"

4. I would try laying off the gain on the distortion guitars a bit and hitting the strings more agressively, for me this kind of interpretation makes a world of difference.

5. Cant really feel/hear the bass guitar... pump it up a bit! :)

Keep the mixes going!

KholdStare

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Really nice ideas :) Here are my mixing crits:

1. I would lower the initial pads a bit so that the clean guitar can be a protagonist here. Doing so would make more of a contrast between the first part and that second part, the dynamics would be affected obviously and the punch will be a bit more noticeable...

2. Clean guitar could also use some more compression

3. Kick drum could use some "fatiness"

4. I would try laying off the gain on the distortion guitars a bit and hitting the strings more agressively, for me this kind of interpretation makes a world of difference.

5. Cant really feel/hear the bass guitar... pump it up a bit! :)

Keep the mixes going!

Thanks so much for the feedback man, really appreciated!
Just before you posted your comment, I uploaded a new mix that should be better.
I'll go back again and use your advice on the mix soon :D
The bass is "fake" unfortunately (pitch shifted clean guitar), so I'm a bit wary
of bringing it up, as it muddies things up a bit. Nevertheless, it's a tad louder in the current mix.

About the guitar tone, I'll experiment for sure, although I seem to be having trouble
(at least with my amp) to find the right medium between djent and fatness.
If I decrease the gain, the djent goes, so I up the treble and the tone becomes a lot thinner...
Guitar tone is a never-ending quest... quite a pain in the ass :lol:

polloymedio

yamyamyam
Reaction score
yeah i hear ya, the djent factor can be lost.. u should try the following (its one hell of a technique :D):

lower the gain and put a Tubescreamer in front of the amp. set the knobs more or less like so:
Tone: 3 o'clock
Drive: 7 o'clock (no drive at all)
Level: 2 o'clock

At least in tube amps it works miracles, really tightens the tone by boosting the signal and concentrating on high freqs :D If you're recording with POD, im guessing you could put in an OD stomp simulation with the above settings (may change though)

hope this helps!

t hatt

Reaction score
I liked it man. Don't really have much to say about the mix, because I am listening on my laptop, heh, but it's cool nonetheless!

')