NEW This is Why You Suck at Guitar lesson: Your Pinch Harmonics SUCK!

BenEllerGuitars

Reaction score
Behold true believers! You all asked for it, and i heard your telepathic cries for guidance and wisdom on the subject of the ancient art of the pinch harmonic. Other wise known as artificial harmonics, pick squeals, or Fran Drescher, this technique is going to get your guitar squealing louder than Zakk Wylde's potbelly pig. I'm also going to talk about your Aunt Julie and why she's such a slut. So grab an axe, crank up the gain, and get learning with your ol Uncle Ben!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

haffner1

Reaction score
This thread has made me decide to give another go at fixing my picking. For the last 11 years I have had a problem with pinch harmonics because of the way I have had to hold my pick. I have always sort of known this, but this just brought it to my attention again.

I say the last 11 years, but I have been playing for 25 years, and I haven't always had this problem. After finishing college and getting married, having kids, joining the Army-- I had sort of slacked off in my playing. I didn't practice much and mostly just played at church on the weekends, so nothing challenging. When I started to get back into playing more seriously in 2003, I discovered that a nerve injury I suffered to my right ulnar nerve in officer candidate school had seriously affected my picking coordination on my right hand. I wasn't able to pick effectively at 16th notes over about 140bpm, and after viewing a lot of instruction videos and a lot of trial and error, I was able to overcome the problem by holding the pick in an unconventional manner. Basically, I have to point the tip of my thumb downward on the top of the pick almost at the tip of my fingernail instead of holding it flat on the meaty part.

I don't know why it worked but I was able to get the coordination I needed, and when I am in form, I can generally pick up to sextuplets at 145 or 16th notes around 215. The thing is, it creates other problems. Pinch harmonics are more difficult because of the increased skin surface area over the top of the pick, and I often have difficulties string muting, particularly when string skipping because it is harder to get my palm all the way down on the strings.

This video has kind of inspired me to give it another go. I have been feeling it out for the last couple days, and It seems to at least be a little better than when I switched picking styles, which was about 2.5 years after the injury. I seem to be able to pull off the standard paul gilbert sextuplet lick at a little over 120 cleanly, which isn't bad considering I am just testing it out, but things that require more coordination are still a bit ham fisted. I have a hard time playing a full 3 note per string scale in ascending 16th notes at 120 - I mean the standard CDEF, DEFG, EFGA etc., but I can play it descending, starting with an upstroke much more easily, say around 140-150.

So, I just want to say thanks for the motivation to try and work this out. I don't know if it will be worth trying to going back to holding my pick in the standard way again, my injury may just not let me still. But it's worth a shot, and I may still learn something in the process.

Hybrid138

Reaction score
Great delivery! Way better than all the other boring lessons. Swirling young minds with technique. Poor Aunt Julie :(

avinu

Reaction score
Thank you good sir!! I haven't watched it yet but pinch harmonics have been the bane of my existence every since I picked up the guitar.

Reaction score
I really can't wait to watch this. Oddly enough, this has been something I have lacked for years. Nearly a decade ago, I taught myself this very strange way to perform pinch harmonics. I've used the nail portion of my pointer finger in conjunction with the strike of the pick to emulate the sound. However, it's wrong, it doesn't always sound the way I need it to, and....you know...it sucks. Pre internet days of learning guitar:(

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
No shit? You're on SSO? You're vids are entertaining and enlightening. Will watch after work.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Didn't need it, :lol: but your vids are always fun to see and very very very well done.
You really go the extra mile to explain things clearly
Keep up the awesome work!
And thanks!

munizfire

Reaction score
Awesome! I didn't know you posted here! I've been following your vids for some time now. They're pretty good for learning, not to mention how much I laugh with your random-ass comments.
Keep up the weirds shit, bro!

')