New Thorn model - SoCal C/S (California Special)

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Ron said a lot of people had been asking him about doing an offset model so he made one this year and called it the California Special:

CS002_1.jpg

CS002_2.jpg

CS003_1.jpg

CS003_2.jpg

CS004_1.jpg

CS004_2.jpg

I'm sure it won't be everyone's cup of tea, I REALLY dig it personally! :yesway: I have that koa SoCal S/S on order but it's been put on hold for financial reasons for a while... almost tempted to see if Ron can do rear-routed controls with no pickguard and have the shape changed to the C/S model. I dig the offset shape a lot! :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Looks cool. Takes a bit from a few Fender models, but is its own thing in the end and looks pretty original.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks cool. Takes a bit from a few Fender models, but is its own thing in the end and looks pretty original.

For sure, it reminds me a bit of the Fender Jazzmaster. He said he was working on a Jazzmaster replacement bridge as he likes the bridge but there are things wrong with it (I'm assuming he meant tuning stability?) that he wanted to address and put his own spin on. Knowing Ron, it will be awesome. :D

Really dig that shape!

Me too Adam! Waiting for confirmation that he can do rear-routed controls, if he can I think I'm changing up my order! :lol:

Looks awesome. Ron never ceases to amaze me.

Agreed, he somehow manages to keep topping himself. Big fan here, not that it's a surprise to anyone. :lol: :yesway:

nice touch, on a side note, your new avatar is making me feel dizzy everytime!!!! :lol:

Yeah the actual joint is really classy too, interlocking dovetail + threaded inserts FTMFW! My avatar makes me laugh, it's also fairly hypnotizing too! :lol:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That looks great :yesway:

If I had the cash I would have already been on the phone with Ron about that middle one :yum:

For anybody that hasn't seen it, the neck joint on Ron's stuff really is freaking awesome

precisionlock.jpg

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
I love that Telecaster version! Anyone know how much these go for?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You know, I tend to find 90% of the guitars out there that borrow from certain 60's Fender designs to be pretty ugly and/or bland, but these definitely fit into that rare 10% that seems to get it right.

That "Tele" is scrumptious. :agreed:

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Dang , I am not a fan of odd shapes too often, but those look really good and the upper fret access looks amazing. My one beef with my super strat is that the upper horn gets in the way a tiny bit playing at 22. (the square heel doesn't bug me, and I get around the horn but it could be better). That lower horn looks perfect. And the tele type.... aaaaaah.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
You're not going to get a high-end custom Thorn cheap :lol:

LOL. I know. It's funny. I sometimes find myself being a penny pincher like my mom. I would have no problem spending $3,000 on a nice PRS (that's if I had the money), but when I look at these guitars (and lust for that tele one), in my head, I think, "Well, it's still a Fender derivative. It shouldn't be that expensive". I know, I know. I shouldn't think like that, but it happens. I've been GASing for a tele, and I've been researching the Ron Kirn builds on the TDPRI Forum and his work seems excellent and only starts at $1750 for a handbuilt telecaster. I mentally start comparing the differences in features and think, "Where's the extra $1,000 go"?

I know, I know. Penny pinching. It creeps up from time to time. Then, I beat it back down. :lol:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been GASing for a tele, and I've been researching the Ron Kirn builds on the TDPRI Forum and his work seems excellent and only starts at $1750 for a handbuilt telecaster. I mentally start comparing the differences in features and think, "Where's the extra $1,000 go"?

Ummm I'm obviously quite biased so I won't pretend otherwise, but without playing a Kirn in person I can throw up a couple details that might explain why Thorn charges more:

1. CNC precision going into the fret slotting, makes a pretty big difference as opposed to slotting by hand as it takes out a lot of error. No idea how each manufacturer Kirn receives his parts from does their work.
2. Less focus on "keeping things 1960" and more focus on modern improvements (IMO) such as a smoother AND tighter neck joint for better transfer of sound/vibration, adjustment of headstock design to remove the need for a string tree, etc.
3. Thorn has a waiting list (many return customers) so if his prices were too low he'd never be able to manage the queue as it's full as is with the current pricing scheme
4. Customization goes a few steps further, LOTS of finish options, custom-wound (in-house) pickups, choice of many woods and hardware options etc.
5. Thorn's guitar bodies, necks, PARTS (aside from tuners :lol:) are ALL built by Ron Thorn and co. Kirn builds parts guitars ordered from suppliers like Warmoth and USACG. Not really the same thing at all, you're talking luthier versus a good tech who assembles and does some basic wood-working on parts guitars. That right there adds to the cost of building the guitar (and the quality since he runs quality control on all his own parts, whereas with Warmoth or any other parts supplier you get whatever wood they send you and that's it).

Again, I know I'm biased but I'm trying to explain it from a more impartial view by focusing on the facts of how each guy builds a guitar. :2c: I think Ron is absolutely justified in charging what he does based on the amount of work he has to put into each build and the customization he allows. Ron BUILDS his own stuff, not just assembling parts from several other manufacturers. I don't doubt that Ron Kirn assembles a nice guitar or does great setup/fret work, but comparing the two and acting like they should be priced in the same league seems a bit bizarre. That's like asking why Anderson and Suhr charge more than an Ibanez Prestige with a refin... I mean, they're both just bolt-on guitars right? ;)

')