New to 7 strings. Thinking about selling a Schecter to buy an Ibanez...

• Thread starter javimm
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

javimm

Reaction score
Hi. First post here :wavey:
First I'd like to share what I already own, to put things in perspective. I own three guitars: A Gibson Les Paul with Duncan's Jazz/Custom PUs (my rock guitar), a Fender Strat Jimmie Vaughan sig (my blues/clean guitar), and a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Floyd Rose (my :hbang: guitar).

The Schecter is the last guitar I bought a year ago, but I've been thinking about it and a crazy idea has started to develop in my mind.

You know, spec-wise the Schecter is great: Mahogany, neck-through, original Floyd, great pickups (EMG 81TW and 89), abalone inlays... BUT since I bought it I can't connect with it. The neck feels slow, way slower than my Les Paul or strat, and using the same string gauge in my 3 guitars, the Schecter feels way stiffer than the other two. It also feels a bit "cheap", if you know what I mean. Not shitty, but it doesn't feel as great as my Les Paul (quality wise).

I've lusted forever for an Ibanez guitar. I tried one several years ago and I remember how good it felt. Now the idea of buying one is back so, I'm thinking about selling the Schecter and buying a RG1527Z, going from a 6 to a 7 string. Not that the extra string scares me, but I'd like to ask if the change makes sense or I'm just convincing myself that the Schecter is really a bad guitar and I need the Ibanez.

Is the RG1527Z a good guitar?. Does it feel "cheap"?. Does it has a confy neck?. I know the PUs are not the best, and could be better, so that's another 200 euros spent in the guitar. My rational thinking tells me that the Schecter is better than the Ibanez (same price, better specs), and I should be happy with it, as a lot of people is, but I don't feel the same way.

I'll go to a guitar shop next week to try some Ibanezs and see if I like them. On paper, they are worse than the Schecter (spec-wise), but I'd like to know the opinion in real world usage.

Thank you.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Try to go play both in a shop like you said you're going to. I've played Schecter and Ibanez 6s...and I've always preferred the Schecters' neck feel. It's all personal preference really.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
Try to go play both in a shop like you said you're going to. I've played Schecter and Ibanez 6s...and I've always preferred the Schecters' neck feel. It's all personal preference really.

Agreed, I've always preferred Ibanez's feel and look so definitely something you have to try.

sell2792

Reaction score
Yes! That Ibanez is an excellent guitar and not cheap feeling at all. Once you get used to playing a seven string, I don't doubt you'll find it much faster than your current Schecter, or even your Les Paul and Strat.
The neck is rather thin and comfortable, though slightly wider to cater to the seventh sting. The pickups on most Ibanez's aren't terrible. They are usually mediocre to good, with some being better or worse, but with good replacement pups. you'll have a monster of a guitar on your hands.

EDIT: You should seriously consider looking for a minty used 1527 and save yourself some $$ for more or less the exact same guitar. I actually prefer the Edge Pro on the 1527's to the Edge Zero on the 1527Z's, that being more or less the only difference.

javimm

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
I definitely have to test the RG in the store. Anyway, it's been a long time since my last visit there, so it's about time. I remember they had a RG2228 that looked absolutely terrific and massive. Gorgeus guitar. Wish I could justify having that many guitars and had the space at home :wallbash:

Being totally fair to the Schecter, it actually doesn't feel as "cheap" as my post implied, but certainly isn't on par with my Gibson or even the strat, that is a Mexican made guitar and has a fantastic neck. It's the little details that add to the "not great" feeling. The Ibanez I tried years ago felt like a very well crafted instrument, that has been made with care.

I'll see if they have the RG1527Z there and give it a try.
Used market is certainly a possibility, I'd have to sell the Schecter first and I want to do it locally. Don't want to ship a guitar.

Cheers.

Reaction score
You know, spec-wise the Schecter is great: Mahogany, neck-through, original Floyd, great pickups (EMG 81TW and 89), abalone inlays... BUT since I bought it I can't connect with it. The neck feels slow, way slower than my Les Paul or strat, and using the same string gauge in my 3 guitars, the Schecter feels way stiffer than the other two. It also feels a bit "cheap", if you know what I mean. Not shitty, but it doesn't feel as great as my Les Paul (quality wise).

I've played quite a few Schecter 6, 7 & 8 String guitars at the guitar shops and I could never connect with them for the same reason that the necks felt slow and fat to me. But then again I've seen Nevermore 4 times and Jeff Loomis proves that its just me that sucks... hah hah... that said Ibanez necks feel much thinner and flatter to me and it just seems like I play better if that makes sense.

Connor

Guy
Reaction score
You've got a range of guitars there, what necks do you prefer better?
Going from Schecter to Ibanez will be a massive jump for you.

RuffeDK

Reaction score
Actually, the pick-ups in the RG1527Z are surprisingly good. Sounds better than most other stock pick-ups I've heard other people complaining about.

But you can't go wrong with a RG1527. The overall build quality is top-notch, neck is thin and smooth, AND IT STAYS IN TUNE !

Only things I don't like about the RG1527Z compared to it's older brother (RG1527(M)) is the volume/tone nuts, and the tremolo. But that's just my honest opnion. The RG1527Z is a beast, and you can't go wrong with it \m/

javimm

Reaction score
I've played quite a few Schecter 6, 7 & 8 String guitars at the guitar shops and I could never connect with them for the same reason that the necks felt slow and fat to me. But then again I've seen Nevermore 4 times and Jeff Loomis proves that its just me that sucks... hah hah... that said Ibanez necks feel much thinner and flatter to me and it just seems like I play better if that makes sense.

Well, of course I can't compare to Jeff Loomis. Anyway, I read somewhere that his sig guitar has a slimmer neck than you usual Schecter, but I'm sure he could play at any speed on mine. I suck too, compared to his skills. THere are necks that just feels fast and some doesn't. I once tried a really dirt cheap BC Rich that had the fastest neck and lowest action I've ever played. It was awesome. :shred:

You've got a range of guitars there, what necks do you prefer better?
Going from Schecter to Ibanez will be a massive jump for you.
The Les Paul neck is thinner than your usual Les Paul Standard. It's a Les Paul Classic with the so called 60's neck, that is thinner than the Standard Les Paul neck. Doesn't feel big at all.
The strat is a soft v-shaped neck, and it's fantastic. Feels real good and quite fast. Action on the Les Paul is a little better, but the strat just feels right in your hands.
I like both, and each makes me play in a different way, which is good.

Actually, the pick-ups in the RG1527Z are surprisingly good. Sounds better than most other stock pick-ups I've heard other people complaining about.

But you can't go wrong with a RG1527. The overall build quality is top-notch, nech is thin and smooth, AND IT STAYS IN TUNE !

Only things I don't like about the RG1527Z compared to it's older brother (RG1527(M)) is the volume/tone nuts, and the tremolo. But that's just my honest opnion. The RG1527Z is a beast, and you can't go wrong with it \m/
If I end up doing the change, I'm going to spend at least 1/2 to 1 year using the stock PUs. If I like them I'll probably keep them.

Thanks for all the insight.

Rayaus

Reaction score
As the others have said, it really depends on your preference, but having a C-7 Blackjack and an RG1527Z, I'd say both are great guitars, but I find the Ibanez to be a lot easier to play lead. Even though I find Ibanez 6 string necks to be way too thin for me, the 1527's neck feels great to me, as does the Schecter.

Depending on the model you were thinking of buying, I find Schecter don't sound as tight, but have a fatter tone. All in all, I prefer the Schecter for rhythm and the Ibanez for leads, but definitely try something similar to what you want to buy if possible.

I'll also add that the Ibanez does not feel cheap at all, it actually is the finest 7 string I've had, and the tremolo system is really great.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
1527Z is supposed to be the shit. Then again, I enjoy Ibanezes and have for quite some time. I've never been a fan of *most* Schecters. Try before you buy, good sir. :yesway:

javimm

Reaction score
As the others have said, it really depends on your preference, but having a C-7 Blackjack and an RG1527Z, I'd say both are great guitars, but I find the Ibanez to be a lot easier to play lead. Even though I find Ibanez 6 string necks to be way too thin for me, the 1527's neck feels great to me, as does the Schecter.

Depending on the model you were thinking of buying, I find Schecter don't sound as tight, but have a fatter tone. All in all, I prefer the Schecter for rhythm and the Ibanez for leads, but definitely try something similar to what you want to buy if possible.

I'll also add that the Ibanez does not feel cheap at all, it actually is the finest 7 string I've had, and the tremolo system is really great.

1527Z is supposed to be the shit. Then again, I enjoy Ibanezes and have for quite some time. I've never been a fan of *most* Schecters. Try before you buy, good sir. :yesway:

Thanks.
I already own a Schecter as I said. My options are:
- Keep the Schecter and not buying anything.
- Sell the Schecter and buy the Ibanez 7 string.

Buying a Schecter 7 string, or any other brand instead of an Ibanez is out of the question. I ended buying my Schecter because I really got a very good deal, and thought it was going to play as good as the Ibanez guitars I've tried, but it doesn't. I tried a Schecter Hellraiser C-7 with Floyd and it was a bit better than my own Hellraiser 6 string, bu nothing to write home about.

Seems that I'm going to really like the Ibanez from what I'm reading. A fast neck, very well crafted guitar that feels professionally made. Can't wait to try it in the store :yesway:

I'll report back next week.

Thanks again for all the useful answers :bowdown:

Winning
Reaction score
schecters always feel cheap and the necks are very slow i personally will never own a schecter if you want a better feeling guitar get an ibanez the necks are much thinner on them and over all built better or even get a carvin custom shop you can pick out all you own stuff you want for the guitar and it would only be about $1000 which is awsome!

javimm

Reaction score
Hi.

I've been to the store today. They had a very good selection of Ibanez, ranging from top of the line JEMs, to 200 euro models. They didn't have the RG1527Z I was looking for, but I tried another 7 string, the S7420. This one:
S7420_BK_1P_01.png

According to the guy there, even if the quality of the Prestige 1527Z is higher, I could get the feel of a 7 string Ibanez neck just as good on the S7420.

First impression, quite flat neck, and I mean flat on the back of the neck. Weird feeling. I didn't enjoy the overall feeling of the 7 string very much. Didn't feel very natural, using that wide and flat neck.

I then tried two 6 strings:
- The RG2570MZ:
RG2570MZ_CAB_00_02.png

I'll say that it is an awesome guitar. I really liked the body finish too, very cool, better than in the pics and the neck is superb. It felt way better than the 7 string. Didn't feel sticky as my Schecter, and is perfectly finished. Overall, a fantastic guitar.

Then I asked for the RG2550, and he had it in white. This one:
RG2550Z_GW_00_02.png

I thought I was going to like it more than the 2570, as I tend to like rosewood better, but didn't. Maybe I'm leaning towards maple necks now :eek: . The construction feel was more or less the same, but the 2570 sounded clearer ans resonated better than the 2550. It felt as it had more "life" in it, if you know what I mean. The inlays were somewhat difficult to see, as their color is very similar to the rosewood color.

Anyway, I don't think I'll buy a 7 string, as much as I wanted one. The seventh string and neck just felt weird, and I don't know if I'm going to get used to it. BUT the 2570... what a great guitar...

Now... Decisions, decisions...

Thanks guys for all the answers I got.
Cheers.

jarnozz

Let´s Get Wasted!
Reaction score
the s7420 is quit good, but i kinda hate the PU's. I own a ibanez and it is just great playing on it, it feels light, fast, smooth and very comfortable. but from the 3 u mentioned id go for the rg 2550, it looks great, has great pu's, great trem, ultra fast and smooth neck, and looks great, WIN

GMCUV7

Shoganai
Reaction score
Hi Javimm,
I have owned the RG1527M (Maple Neck), RGA420Z 6-String Devil's Shadow w/ ZeroGravity Trem, an S7420 (24 Fret w/ Zero Gravity Trem)...always love to try new guitars!

I liked the Maple Fretboard of the 1527M. Tight Strings, played clean notes - not the fastest neck. Thing that stood out was the maple fretboard....sounds like you might favor the Maple Fretboard on the RG2570MZ.

The RGA420 played like butter and you can adjust the Zero Trem for string tension easily. Beautiful body and easy to handle - Priced a bit too high.

The S7420 (24 frets) was the cheapest and still played damn well for the cost $600 Used. I liked it a lot. It played just as nicely as many 1527s I have played.

Advice: Decide between the Trem systems you feel most comfortable with. Some RG1527s (ZR or Edge Pro) are easy to pick up (Used) and the price ranges from $700-$900 used (sometimes even cheaper or more expensive...depending on the installed pups/condition).

If money is tight, consider getting an S7420. They are mostly made in Indonesia i think, but the playing quality is still nice for the cost.
NOTE: There is a difference between older Saber models that have 22 Frets (24 frets started on the 7-Sabers around 2010) and only newer 7-Saber models have ZR Trems.

Don't forget to try an Ibby S5470 too. These 6 strings are easy to play and fast too. Can be had at a decent price too:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBANEZ-PRES...D-/280785672837?pt=Guitar&hash=item4160215a85

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I wasn't really a fan of the neck on the S7320 (precursor to the current S7420) when I tried it either, but luckily the neck on my RG1527 feels much nicer.

I can't say I agree with the fellow who said that the RG1527 doesn't need a pickup change. Ibanez makes great guitars, but they make craptastic pickups. Mine definitely benefited from a pickup swap.

One other option that's available to you is to see if you can find an old RG7620. That guitar features a Lo Pro Edge 7 bridge, as opposed to the Edge Pro 7 on my RG1527 (which I love) and the Edge Zero 7 on the RG1527Z. The Lo Pro is typically regarded as one of the best, if not the best, licensed FR bridges ever made. Doesn't mean you should automatically get one without regard for how it feels compared to others, but if you can try a guitar equipped with one before you make your buying decision, I would recommend it.

Also, where the heck is Max? He's usually the first to chime in on all matters Ibanez and is pretty much the ultimate authority, so for him not to have posted is... shocking! :lol:

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
an RG7620 and RG1527 will have a way better neck than that Wizard II-7 on the S7420... look into one of those.. im pretty sure you werent comfortable on the S7420 simply because the neck is an uncomfortable one hahaha..

and both the RG7620 and RG1527 have less shoulders than the S7420 you tried... so check those out first before you decide to give up on the 7 string idea

javimm

Reaction score
Hi.

Great suggestions everyone. Very appreciated. Unless the store carries another model in the near future, the S7420 was the only 7 they had at the moment. I can't try any other Ibanez 7, as this is the only shop in Madrid that carries them, so either they have it in the store or you can't try them anywhere.

I don't know anyone near me that owns an Ibby 7 string either :-(

If I end up selling the Schecter, I'll give them a call to see if they can bring one 1527 to the store and give it a test ride. I don't want to gamble 1000 euros and buy a 7 string blind, as it can end up as a very expensive mistake if I don't like it.

OTOH, they have the a 2570 model at half the price, as it's the gray color guitar from the 2010 (or 2009) catalog and it's on sale. Very good deal indeed, so it's even more tempting. It's not the maple fingerboard, but the rosewood one, but it's the same guitar as the 2570 I tried today for almost 40% less. I've just seen that they also have the same 2570 but in Vital Blue, maple freatboard for the same price.

Now I have to decide what to do...

GMCUV7

Shoganai
Reaction score
Javimm,
How much Euro are they asking for the 2570? you're lucky, the Euro is around 1.3 conversion rate to the dollar (decent rate for you to buy an Ibby from states). How costly is customs into Spain?

I noticed a 2570 w/ Evos on Ebay for $667 Buy It Now (Gold color though...and another one listed in Silver color). Other colors will surely pop up too.

')