New to Extended Range

• Thread starter SailorwigZ81
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SailorwigZ81

Intrinsic
Reaction score
Hey there. I'm new to extended range guitars and am looking into picking up an Agile 8 stringer. Haven't been playing guitar long. 6 strings i tune A# would like to know recommended string gauges for drop tuning and perhaps maybe some learning resources that would help me adjust to an 8 string. Thanks in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
First off, the most important information you'll get here on SS.org...

30312d1249322070-imagini-funny-searchfirst.gif

There are many discussions here about various drop tunings, what strings sets people use, how to change strings to adjust tensions so that an instrument doesn't feel like crap on the lowest strings, and so on.

And, speaking of crap, the search function here can be a pain, so be sure to go to Google.com and to do a search on your various search terms, limiting your results to SS.org. You can do that by adding "site:sevenstring.org" to your search terms. Click this link for an example:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=A%23+drop+tuning+site%3Asevenstring.org

The more time you put into reading, the more knowledgable you'll be, and the more targeted your questions can become. It's easier to figure out what someone wants, and to help that person, when a specific question arises...

I'm having a hard time with the low tension on my lowest course. I'm tuned to A000, using a .016 at a scale length of 23.9". Should I go with a larger string?

...versus something much less specific.

You know, like, downtuning? Um... what's up with that?

*laugh*

Incidentally, welcome!

MGasparotto

Breaker of G strings
Reaction score
If you pick up a 28.625 Scale 10-74 should be a good enough set for whatever you want, If your getting a 25.5 You might wanna go with a thicker set.

')