New to Forum - New Kiesel SCB7 on Order

BigkevNL

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been lurking for a good while here, looking on with no small amount of jaw-drops at the amount of quality instruments being produced.

6 strings have been my staple models for my entire playing life (currently owning a 2008 LP std, Strat deluxe, 2 Carvin CT6s, 2 Ibanez Frank Gambale Models, Ibanez sa180, Yamaha AES-1500, Carvin AC275, plus a couple of acoustics....), but I've recently decided to fuel my Kiesel addiction with a new SCB7. A buddy of mine regularly posts here and I've played his Ibanezes and his stunning Mayones Regius 7 and thus decided to take the plunge.

I saw one on the Kiesel in-stock but was too slow to pick it up, therefore asking them to recreate it with a few mods......hopefully I'll end up with something like this (apologies for putting a 6 string fingerboard on a 7 string guitar!)

8999_SCB7_Order_Form_1.jpg

8999_SCB7_Royal_Ebony_2.jpg

Estimated completion is end of June, so I'll bring updates with the actual weapon when it arrives.

One point from me; I've seen a lot of discussion about Kiesel's Customer Service and instruments and I am only full of praise for them. The quality of kit for the price point is beyond belief and I've never had anything but good service from them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
It'll look cool either way, but just want to be clear than your build sheet says spalted maple, and the pic is burled maple. :)

edit: sorry! proven wrong with a higher-res photo. Never seen spalted maple quite like that before from them!

Cheap Poison

Reaction score
I too have nothing but love for my carvin, and I wish you lots of luck with the upcoming guitar.

That being said, living in Amserdam, I wonder if you ever considered an Aristides.
I really like my Carvin, but I am having a harder and harder time justifying buying a guitar from the US.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
So instead of waiting to post a NGD thread like everyone else, (which is pretty much the only thing that people care about,) you decide to post a "oh, look, I placed an order" thread? :coffee:

Cheap Poison has a point though. Aristides > Kiesel/Carvin. (Aristides = local to you, higher price tag, better guitar, zero f*cked up builds, and absolutely zero displays of sheer business incompetence...unlike Kiesel.)

Matthew

Reaction score
That's the most intricate spalt I've ever seen. I wouldn't expect the finished product to be that intense (or similar at all), but I dig your build.

Just an FYI, but pre-NGD threads are frowned upon here. Welcome to the forums, though!

BigkevNL

Reaction score
.... - nothing better than pissing off an entire forum with your first post. Any idea how I can blitz it into the nether regions of internet history?

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about it. There are some people here that have nothing better to do than to .... on Kiesel any time the name is mentioned. Looks like a cool build to me.

stevexc

Reaction score
Cheap Poison has a point though. Aristides > Kiesel/Carvin. (Aristides = local to you, higher price tag, better guitar, zero f*cked up builds, and absolutely zero displays of sheer business incompetence...unlike Kiesel.)

:scratch::scratch:

Aristides would also never build anything remotely similar to what OP wants - especially since he's already got a lot of experience with Carvin's products and knows what he's in for as far as quality. Why do you even waste your time coming in here and shitting on OP? Your whole post could have been replaced by just reporting the thread and it would have been a net positive.

Congrats on placing the order, OP! But definitely keep in mind that the top pictured is very atypical for spalt - it shares a lot more similarity with burled maple, even if there is definitely a spalt pattern in there as well. It should still look pretty cool!

BigkevNL

Reaction score
Aristides guitars are cool but not my bag in any way, shape or form.

I've seen the posts about bad Kiesel service, but for a guitar shop that's churning out 4,000 instruments a month, I would wager these incidents count for less than 0.001% of the instances (not least because they have the 30 day money back offer). I've bought one from a local shop, one custom build and one from e-bay and had zero issues with any of the guitars and certainly not with Kiesel.

Likewise on this build, I called them up, sent them the ad to the guitar I missed and asked for a recreation with a few tweaks. Couldn't be easier.

I've taken your points on board regarding the top wood, so I've also raised the question to Kiesel directly to ensure that it's not like a usual spalted maple (which does nothing for me). So if they can't confirm that it's possible to match the top, then burled maple will be the back-up option.

I have a CT6T in crimson flame and CT624 with a custom finish over quilted maple and they are simply stunning, so whatever comes my way, I am confident it will be a sensational piece of kit. Worth checking out is the SCB7 played and demo'd by Lyman Gillen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r75onXgH_ko

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen the posts about bad Kiesel service, but for a guitar shop that's churning out 4,000 instruments a month, I would wager these incidents count for less than 0.001% of the instances (not least because they have the 30 day money back offer). I've bought one from a local shop, one custom build and one from e-bay and had zero issues with any of the guitars and certainly not with Kiesel.

Kiesel is not producing 4000 guitars a month. Jeff said in a recent video that at the increased rate they've been selling lately they'd be up to 4000 in a year. Also their return period is 10 days, not 30.

I agree with the sentiment behind your post though.

BigkevNL

Reaction score
Sorry - meant to type 'year' rather than 'month'......30 v 10 was my misunderstanding (as my option 50 was non-returnable) but still good to have that possibility.

Cheap Poison

Reaction score
Aristides guitars are cool but not my bag in any way, shape or form.

Just to put things straight. I am not bagging on the Carvin here. Probably not what I would of order but I am very very happy with my Carvin and would consider another one if it weren't for outside factors.

My main reason to not consider a Carvin again is pretty much getting it in my hands. But I think import tax here in Belgium might be a bit worse then in the Netherlands. I'd be hit with a 30% increase, good chance i'll be hit with a 500-700 extra fee to just get it, along with decent shipping.
But In the Netherlands that might be closer to 17%.

I know this is not super relevant, just wanted to show my position, not bagging on anyone parade. Didn't mean offense with the question.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I like the mockup a lot more than previous Kiesel ones I've seen before. The darker/dyed body wood in the bevel looks really good with the burst edges. I look forward to seeing any progress pictures on this.

BigkevNL

Reaction score
So....here's the factory shot of the finished article. Receipt of the guitar expected middle of next week......

13723830_1751402918476336_4740526823754868701_o.jpg