New to reamping - need to verify signal chain

• Thread starter Nyrrth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nyrrth

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm relatively new to the world of home recording, and a complete newbie when it comes to reamping. After reading up about it yesterday, I thought that it would be a good idea to record DI tracks for future use, to help shape the tone better after-the-fact. I own an Axe-Fx Ultra, so here's what I believe the signal chain would be. If you can confirm, or kick me in the butt for being stupid, and in the process help me out, that would be great. For now, let's assume that the reamping will also be done by the Axe-Fx Ultra itself (i.e. not a tube amp).

Step 1. Recording amped and DI signal

Guitar --> DI box, which does the following:

(a) DI box Mic output --> Audio Interface --> Logic Track 1 (DI signal)
(b) DI box Thru output --> Axe-Fx Ultra --> Audio Interface --> Logic Track 2 (Processed signal)

Step 2. Reamping

Logic Track 1 (DI signal) --> Output channel 3 (balanced out) of Audio Interface --> Mic input of Radial ProRMP reamp box --> Hi-Z output of reamp box to Axe-Fx Ultra guitar input

So....Yes/No?

Thanks!

:hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
That will work for both the Axe FX and tube amps, too, but it looks like the Axe FX also has digital in and out, so you should be able to reamp through it without the reamp box. It looks like you can go from the interface's digital out to the Axe FX digital in and then the Axe FX digital out to the interface digital in.

Perhaps someone who owns one can confirm or correct this.

Overtone

Reaction score
Yes. I don't have an AxeFX so I can't comment on 1. (b) but the rest is correct for sure.

Nyrrth

Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I'll look into the digital I/O, but as long as this method works, I'm happy, and sounds like it will. Thanks again!

')