New to recording. What should I buy?

• Thread starter depths of europa
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

depths of europa

Depths of Europa
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I just made a profile to ask a few questions on here and hopefully share my recordings soon!

Guitars:

Right now I have an Ibanez RG 6-string with an EMG 81 and EMG-85 as my main guitar. I am buying my first 7 string this week. I was looking at Long and McQuade and in my price range (under $600) I have few options. I am thinking I will pick up an Ibanez RGA-7 because I like the RG body shape and the Wizard II neck. I have read the reviews about the pickups being muddy, but I am willing to upgrade the pickups soon.

If anyone has any other ideas I’m open to suggestions.

Software:

I have recorded in the past but it was always in a studio or at a friends house, but now I want to create my own home studio! I have used REAPER in the past and am familiar with it, so I think I will continue using that. I am using Fruity Loops 8 to program my drums.

Interface:

I am buying an interface this week as well. I was thinking of staying to the cheap side and upgrading later. I was looking at an M-Audio Fast Track II which is only $119 at Long and McQuade. All of the other interfaces are bundled with recording software which I won’t need because I have Reaper.
Does anybody have any experience with an M-Audio Fast Track II, or have any other suggestions?

Effects:

All I have for effects right now is a Behringer V-Amp Pro. Up until now I have only used this for practicing with headphones. But a friend of mine has used it for recording guitars with good results. I would like to upgrade to an Axe-fx or maybe a POD HD Pro at some point.

I also have a BOSS Noise Suppressor pedal.

So basically, I need to know what I still need (I think I need a compressor?), and how do I hook it all up together (in what order)? Sorry, I know this is really basic, haha.

Musically, I would to make recordings with a similar sound to the band Volumes.

Any tips or advise would be appreciated! Thanks guys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

depths of europa

Depths of Europa
Reaction score
Any advise would be appreciated.

Maybe if I ask one specific question for starters:

If I upgrade my effects modeler to a Line 6 POD HD Pro, do I need to use my Noise suppressor and buy a separate compressor? Or would I use the gate and compressor built into the POD?

mlabonte

Reaction score
You would use everything built into the POD and the POD is an interface so you wouldn't need one of those either.

Blazerok

Reaction score
If you get a POD HD pro, you'll be all set as far as hardware goes, for at least guitar and bass tracking. There is even a mic pre on it for vocals or acoustic instruments.
I'd say stick with Reaper if you're on a budget. I've been using it for over 4 years now and still love it. It's also highly customisable.
Now that's all you need to get started, but chances are you will want to add things in the future, such as a drum sequencer or some additional software effects.

clark81

Reaction score
If you want to buy sth that stays, get an AXE FX, version 2 is also an incredible sound card.
PODHD is also a good solution with 1/4 of the money, but the sound is cheaper also.
Ive heard players with V-AMP pro who have gr8 sound, it all depends on your hands and on your chain.

In general:

v-Amp < POD HD < AXE FX

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
You don't even need a modeller.

People on here use Free Amp Sims such as LePou with Gods Cab Impulses to great effect without paying a cent legally.

depths of europa

Depths of Europa
Reaction score
Thanks, that helps. So, could I use the POD HD Pro live? (does it have a foot switch)?
Or would I need to buy the HD500 if I intend on using it for live use as well as recording. I would prefer the rack mount version.

mlabonte

Reaction score
You'd have to obviously buy a foot switch if you got the rack mount version.

Speculum Speculorum

Reaction score
Just my two cents here:

You don't have to go insanely expensive to get a good interface, but you should at the very least, get something that is decent. You'll be kicking yourself if you just invest money that you eventually need to just spend again because the equipment failed, doesn't meet your needs in the future, etc.

You should basically get the nicest gear all around that you can without going over the top. I don't mean go out and spend thousands upon thousands of dollars unless you're very serious about what you are getting yourself into. But like all things, you do get what you pay for. There's nothing worse than buying musical gear that you simply end up not liking or need something more advanced, because you'll never get rid of it for the price you invested - ever.

Gemmeadia

Reaction score
Like everyone else is saying, you dont need to buy a whole bunch of expensive gear until you learn the basics and decide "oh, it would really benefit me if I had this instead/on top of this" and upgrade.

Ive taught myself everything I know about recording mostly through trial and error and I only used a Pod X3, Reaper and Superior Drummer. Since then i've upgraded, but my general approach is still the same. Good luck man, recording is one of my favorite things to do!

TheProgWay

Reaction score
if you don't use a lot of effects and such, free amp sims from lepou, tse, and free guitarhack, catharsis, and god's impulses will do a great job. All you'll need to do is invest in a solid audio interface that gets a good DI signal.

You'll have to get an audio interface either way unless you get an HD500, axefx II, etc which have an AI built in.

If you want a good recorded sound and live sound, I suggest you look at a used HD500, it'll be mroe expensive than DI-ing with an audio interface and using free plugs but it can be more versatile in terms of live and studio usage along with the bundles of sounds it packs. If you want an excellent recorded sound and excellent live sound, invest in Axe Fx II.

DavidMW

Reaction score
If you're looking for a cheap interface, consider the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, because it's probably the best SOUNDING interface for cheap (It has the same preamps and d/a converters as the Focusrite Pro models)

However you sacrifice that for no Digital/MIDI io, it's literally 2 in/2 out, no nonsense :D

TehPatch

Reaction score
As interfaces go i've never had a bad experience with Presonus - you can get a good 2 input on the cheap.

I'd say stay with reaper if it's what you know and teach yourself with free VST's to start with.

check out guitarampmodelling.com to get input on how to use LePou's plugins - and you should be able to find links for some good cab impulses for free there.

You'll be able to make a good volumes tone with the le456 and guitarhacks impulses.

for compression correct me if i'm wrong but I think Reaper has some built in - don't know how good it is\isn't.

depths of europa

Depths of Europa
Reaction score
Thanks TehPatch, I`ll definitly look into that link. I think now I`m leaning towards getting a Line 6 POD Desktop HD. I found one used for cheap. It will give me lots of effect options I don`t currently have access to, and it acts as an interface. If I can`t get good tones out of it, I will be able to sell it at a profit and then try out other avenues. But regardless, I`m going to see if I can get Impulses working. If I can, I wonder if I can use the POD as a direct signal, like on bypass or something.

TehPatch

Reaction score
I wonder if I can use the POD as a direct signal, like on bypass or something.

I did some research and while it's not a true bypass you can disable all the effects - i'm guessing by the time you reamp and all of that you won't be able to tell.

However, if the pod destop is anything like the pro then you'll be using the ENGL fireball like a madman.

Tyler

Reaction score
My personal view is to get the best things you can get after saving up, that way you dont have to consistently upgrade. The POD HD pro is recommended if you've never used anything like it before since the AxeFx isnt exactly the most user-friendly unit and takes time with it to get what you want just right. As far as DAW's, you can buy REAPER for a good price and its a really good program thats simple to use.

')