New tone discovery!!!!!

• Thread starter Allen Garrow
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
ephrion said:
On my Edwards Forest, there's a killswitch that removes the volume and tone pots from the signal chain. I almost always have it on and use it as a mute switch. Sometimes though I use it to switch between a really warm, muffled jazz tone and my distortion tone. A very good idea in my opinion.

Now that sounds like a very good idea.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Roland777

Reaction score
Shit, shit, shit. Now I'm even more torn...

Does anyone know the results of disconnecting the tone-pot with Blaze customs and Air Norton 7's in the guitar? Those are the pickups I'm getting, and I'm wondering whether it's worth it or not to get the luthier to disconnect the tone-pot in the process of installing the pickups, since I figure an overall boost in crispness is worth more than the VERY (very very very) sparse use I get out of my tone-pot. However, can anyone of you please describe IN DETAIL, what the sonic effects would be with these specific pickups?

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
Roland777 said:
Shit, shit, shit. Now I'm even more torn...

Does anyone know the results of disconnecting the tone-pot with Blaze customs and Air Norton 7's in the guitar? Those are the pickups I'm getting, and I'm wondering whether it's worth it or not to get the luthier to disconnect the tone-pot in the process of installing the pickups, since I figure an overall boost in crispness is worth more than the VERY (very very very) sparse use I get out of my tone-pot. However, can anyone of you please describe IN DETAIL, what the sonic effects would be with these specific pickups?

Well, as you said, there was an increase in crispness when I disconnected mine. The highs sound a little brighter, without getting harsh and the uppr mids have a nice punch to them. The bass tightened up just a tad on both pups and added a touch of definition to the Blaze Custom, furthering it's awsomeness as a bridge rythm pup. The Air Norton seems to have just a tad more sustain, although that's probably just an illusion. Overall, I'm rather glad I disconnected it. You may want to have the luthier leave the pot connected and sort of A/B it yourself, it's pretty easy to disconnect.

Roland777

Reaction score
nitelightboy said:
You may want to have the luthier leave the pot connected and sort of A/B it yourself, it's pretty easy to disconnect.

Meh, I don't know. I don't know what kind of equipment's required (which presumably means that I don't have it anyway) and I've got zilch experience. Leave it connected initially, you say?

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
All you need are the screwdriver's to get into the control cavity, a soldering pencil and some solder wick. Open up the cavity, heat up the soldering pencil and voila! Check out the how to wire pups thread, it's a great explantation for how to desolder. If you're luthier has an amp, maybe he'll let you mess around with it and A/B it so you could see what you want. But I like the sound more now that it's disconnected, but that's my opinion.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Why not see if you can get a tone pot with a push pull switch installed, so you can have the tone pot in the signal with it down, but pull it up to bypass it?

I'm actually tempted to try that.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Drew said:
Why not see if you can get a tone pot with a push pull switch installed, so you can have the tone pot in the signal with it down, but pull it up to bypass it?

I'm actually tempted to try that.

That would be fairly trivial, I'd think.

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
Now that I've thought about that, that would kind of defeat the purpose of bypassing the tone pot...damn.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
nitelightboy said:
Now that I've thought about that, that would kind of defeat the purpose of bypassing the tone pot...damn.

How so? Pulled out, you'd effectively run a wire straight from your pickup's out to the volume knob, with the tone pot basically being a direct connection between the two. Only when you push it back in would the capacitator be reintroduced to the circuit.

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not an electronics genius by any means, I really don't even pretend to know what I'm talking about, but I thought that every connection that you made, regardless of wether or not a capacitor is in the chain, degrades the signal somewhat. Which should translate into losing some of the high end. It may not be noticable, I don't really know...I'm probably wrong, but that was my understanding. Correct me if I'm wrong though!!

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
nitelightboy said:
I'm not an electronics genius by any means, I really don't even pretend to know what I'm talking about, but I thought that every connection that you made, regardless of wether or not a capacitor is in the chain, degrades the signal somewhat. Which should translate into losing some of the high end. It may not be noticable, I don't really know...I'm probably wrong, but that was my understanding. Correct me if I'm wrong though!!

Actually, you wouldn't shock me if you were at least partly right, but my understanding is it was more having the capacitator in the signal chain than having a few more solder points between your input and output...

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
Right, but wouldn't those extra solder joints raise the resistance?? That would cause a loss in the high end, making it less bright..

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
nitelightboy said:
Right, but wouldn't those extra solder joints raise the resistance?? That would cause a loss in the high end, making it less bright..

Done correctly, the loss is so small as to be nonexistant. The resistance of the pots and the cap being in the circuit have a much, much greater effect.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Drew said:
How so? Pulled out, you'd effectively run a wire straight from your pickup's out to the volume knob, with the tone pot basically being a direct connection between the two. Only when you push it back in would the capacitator be reintroduced to the circuit.

Wired correctly - to get the effect you're looking for - you'd actually want to cut the entire tone pot out of the loop, so that when the switch was pulled, you'd get PU->Vol Pot->Output jack.

Allen Garrow

Famous Beaver Hunter
Reaction score
If you add a kill switch or push pull sort of pot, you will notice a difference. However as long as that thing is wired in the loop there will be a slight coloration to the sound, ever so slight. I just thought it was cool that something so simple and easy could make such a big difference. However if anyone wants to get fancy and try the special pots I would love to hear what the results are. I am considering wiring in a 2 way toggle in the place of my now even more useless tone knob and maybe doing a coil tap in it's place.

~A

thepunisher

just another hairy viking
Reaction score
i pulled my tone out today, and noticed a loss of balls on my bridge pup. however, it sounds louder and clearer.(sd jb)

the neck pup, the jazz was pretty much the same as always, only more definition.

widdly

Reaction score
My 6 is a Ibanez PGM model (volume only) so I can understand where you are all coming from.

If you wire a switch to bypass the tone knob, there will NOT be any colouration from the extra wiring in the loop. The tone control pot and cap should be shorted to ground when bypassed, so the only thing added to the signal path is a few centimetres of wire and some solder. If this effects your tone then you are using the wrong kind of wire and solder. Consider how much wire there is in a pickup and consider the length that you are adding here. Also consider the amount of solder points inside a pedal or amplifier.

I'm a big fan of coil taps. It's such an easy wiring mod and really opens up some good tones, especially for clean stuff.

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
I think I might switch up the wiring and controls on my Interceptor.
Right now it's got a Vol, 3 way switch, push pull tone knob.

I never use my tone knob, but I use coil taps a lot. I'm thinking about getting this setup in the near future(replacing all the electronics of course):
3 way switch, on off coil tap mini switch, Volume

I would love that setup....maybe in the near future though, no money right now.

Latest posts

')