New track! Djent/Jazz content

• Thread starter TheGrimRiffer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheGrimRiffer

Reaction score
Here's a song I put together based around some riffs I came up with over a year ago. It has a jazzy section toward the end. The mix might be a little rough; I'm working with some very low-end recording gear.

Played on an Ibanez RG321 tuned G-D-G-C-F-A-D into Behringer V-Amp pro (JCM 800 model) and a bass from Target (seriously) recorded/mixed on a Boss BR600.

Also, be prepared for epic Devin Townsend style reverb

Get at me, yo

Somatic Vibrations by JamesRiendeau on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
I like the 'raw' sound you've got going here but it's not tight enough (playing wise, I think).
Also, are you double tracking the rhythm guitars? I honestly can't tell.

TheGrimRiffer

Reaction score
All_¥our_Bass;2989731 said:
I like the 'raw' sound you've got going here but it's not tight enough (playing wise, I think).
Also, are you double tracking the rhythm guitars? I honestly can't tell.

Well there are 4 tracks of guitar, two panned left, two right, with about a 10% difference in the pan of the tracks on each side. That's probably why it sounds kinda sloppy, the notes don't quite line up. Or maybe I just suck, I don't know :lol:

I was trying to achieve a noisy kinda mix, which is easy to do when you're using a $150 multitrack recorder. I'm a huge SYL fan and I've always loved the ambient background noise on those albums. There's a shit ton of reverb

I mixed it on headphones, which I know is a bad idea. It'll sound best listened through headphones.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Try making (and posting) a remix with just double tracking.
I might be able to make some sense out of it that way.

I like the tone A LOT (big fan of lo-fi/raw/noisy stuff here), it just sounds like the guitar parts aren't lining up properly-which could easily be caused by sloppy quad-tracking.

Also if you're gonna do quad tracking make the tone on tracks 3 and 4 different from the first two-which are usually identical.

Like this
100%left and 100%right use one tone
75%left / 75%right try a tone with different eq / gain settings maybe make them a bit quieter, you can even try having each side have a slightly different tone.

I hope I'm not offending you, I like where it's coming from but it's got some problems.

TheGrimRiffer

Reaction score
All_¥our_Bass;2989809 said:
I hope I'm not offending you, I like where it's coming from but it's got some problems.

Nah not at all man I'm here to learn. I'm starting to get the hang of mixing but I'm still rusty. I'll take your suggestions and see what I can come up with.

edit: I might have to do this tomorrow. Normally I'm up all night writing stuff but I had a few beers and am having a harder time playing this :lol:

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Just gave it a listen with headphones, sounds a bit beefier. clearer, and less fizzy.
I can tell what's going on now. :lol:

I should have done that when I first listened but I was tired and had other things to do.

It sounds double tracked-I still can't tell it's quad, probably because the extra tracks are panned so close to the originals and there's no tone difference.

Bass during the clean bit could use some compression, and it's not loud enough, unless that's just a low guitar part, that I'm mistaking for bass.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Second track sounds much better, cleans are a tad too loud though-they are covering up the chuggahs a bit.

')