New Trivium Video - Anthem

• Thread starter Regor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been posted yet or not...

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/video/showVideo.aspx?fileID=1780

I know there are Trivium haters on this board, but I don't care. I like 'em.

I like their playing and songs, but I never cared for the growling vocals. So I'm glad to see that they're gone from this album. Although what I've heard from their new album so far doesn't sound like their old material, I am liking it. It may not be as 'metalcore' as it was before, but it's still good, aaaaand... you can't tell me this song doesn't sound like something that would have came out during the 80s? All their naysayers kept ragging on them for wearing T-shirts of their favorite bands saying that it was a marketing ploy... well, their music sounds like those bands now, now doesn't it? So much for that theory.

I for one can't wait until next week.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I liked them better when they weren't trying to be Metallica.

Man, does Matt look retarded with long hair and that goofy looking guitar. That V the other guy is playing looks cool, though.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
I also think Ascendancy was more original, but hey, Trivium still rocks, no matter what! People can bash them all the way, they´re still a very solid metal band.

Kotex

Trippin' balls
Reaction score
I like them. But I've only heard their first cd.
The song is okay. A little too much 80's for me, I like the first cd stuff better.

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
noodles said:
I liked them better when they weren't trying to be Metallica.

Man, does Matt look retarded with long hair and that goofy looking guitar. That V the other guy is playing looks cool, though.

The razorback look alot more comfortable to me. The V is cool too though.

angusyoungwanabe

ss.org's Diabetic
Reaction score
jared that was funny dude. while i like the sound of anthem, i hate how its gunshot to the head... mixed with an 80s sound. the woahs and yeahs (too me) are what kill the song.

Shredrrr

Reaction score
I personally like their new style. For those of us who can't stand hardcore or death metal vocals i don't think it gets much better than Trivium. The one thing with switching styles is people can actually understand your lyrics now so they still need alittle practice :lol: I think gunshot to the head of trepidation kicks so much ass when it breaks into the melodic vocal part so for me I'm liking trivium alot more. :hbang:

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
You know what bugs me about Trivium? Yeah, they can shred, and yeah their songs are catchy, but to me it sounds like a bunch of suits sat in a boardroom and came up with Trivium. To me, they sound like a PowerPoint presentation turned into a band.

I keep expecting to go the supermarket and see cans of Triviuim, right next to the cans of Spam and condensed milk.

Metal is turning into a commodity again, lead by Krank Amp product placement, the Andy Sneap school of cookie cutter guitar tones, and bands like Trivium.

Perhaps when they compose something that can match this for sheer power and authenticity I'll change my mind, but until then ...I'll take rye over white bread thanks.

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
Record company exec: 'You know what guys, 80's sounding metal is sooooo HOT right now, why don't you do that?'

Trivium:'OK,will it get us money?'

Record company exec (crosses fingers behind back): 'Oh yes boys (if you mean, will it make Roadrunner money)'

3 years later:

'Trivi-who-now?'

Skeksis

Closed Eye Visuals
Reaction score
That guy singing kinda reminds me of Hammet.

And the song sucks tbh, although the solos were nice.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Regor said:
aaaaand... you can't tell me this song doesn't sound like something that would have came out during the 80s? All their naysayers kept ragging on them for wearing T-shirts of their favorite bands saying that it was a marketing ploy... well, their music sounds like those bands now, now doesn't it? So much for that theory.

You say that like it's a good thing - because, like, musical progress is soooooooo all about sounding exactly like what someone did 20 years before. :agreed:

And Regor, that second bit doesn't hold up sheerly on logical grounds. If wearing the shirts could be a marketing ploy, then why not copping the influence?

All I'm saying is if you want to turn people onto these guys, the agressive tone you're taking ("You're wrong, fuckers!!!") probably isn't the way to do it.

Myself, I still think this sounds like slightly poppier Metallica, but what do I know.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
psyphre said:
I keep expecting to go the supermarket and see cans of Triviuim, right next to the cans of Spam and condensed milk.

Metal is turning into a commodity again, lead by Krank Amp product placement, the Andy Sneap school of cookie cutter guitar tones, and bands like Trivium.

It's been a commodity at the Century Media-level for a while now - the whole "udnerground", with a few exceptions, is very "cookie cutter" - and the bigger labels are starting to figure out there's money to be made off this stuff...

I agree, they've always sounded more like a marketing exercise than a band to me, too.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I don't give a shit about commercial or not. I like what I like, and that was damn cool, in an 80's kinda way. :metal:

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
Chris said:
I don't give a shit about commercial or not. I like what I like, and that was damn cool, in an 80's kinda way. :metal:

And this is what I'm talking about Drew. "I" like metal from the 80s, aka 'old school' metal. That's what I grew up on. I don't care for the nu-metal crap, and the only thing close to the song writing of the 80s is metal-core, IMO. But I've never liked the growling vocals. So I'm happy to see these guys doing clean vocals, music sounding like the 80s, and guitar solos and harmonies. If that makes me a bad person, then so be it. I'll be a 'sheep', but I'm not a sheep because some record company is telling me I should listen to Trivium. I've seen Trivium EVERY time they've come to Michigan, and not because I knew who they were. First time I saw them, they opened for Machine Head / Chimaria on the Road Rage tour. Didn't know what to make of them at the time, but I knew it was heavy as hell. 2nd time was by mistake, went to see a local band we know open for Danzig, and low and behold Trivium was on the bill. That's when I bought their album (Ember to Inferno BTW, not Ascendancy). Ever since I've been a fan. WAY before they became 'hot-topic' popular.

These guys have a certain flavor to them. Either you like it or you don't. I like it. I like the 80s. And I'm glad they're trying to bring it back. That's all I'm sayin'.

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
And we know why that is:

:wub:
winger.jpg
:wub:

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Regor said:
And this is what I'm talking about Drew. "I" like metal from the 80s, aka 'old school' metal. That's what I grew up on.

These guys have a certain flavor to them. Either you like it or you don't. I like it. I like the 80s. And I'm glad they're trying to bring it back. That's all I'm sayin'.

I like the '80s, too - I grew up IN that scene. I'd rather listen to Trivium than, say, Dragonforce (to grade our Hot Topic bands out), but they still seem forced to me...

Chris said:
Hell, I like Winger. :lol:

Hey, those dudes could PLAY.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
This song sounds a bit like Skid Row, doesn't it?

Wow. They sounded like AJFA-era Metallica on the first single, Powerslave-(2 Minutes to Midnight)-era Iron Maiden on the second, and now Skid Row-(Youth Gone Wild)-era Skid Row. :lol:

It sounds very, very strange to hear that kinda music again. I can't really get my head around it, coming from a young, new band and all. I'm not sure if I love it or hate it, or both. :scratch: Maybe I'm indifferent.

Latest posts

')