New tube amp suggestions?

• Thread starter Venomous
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Venomous

Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas for a new tube amp. I recently sold my huge Mesa 4x12 and 100w tube amp setup; it sounded great but it was kind of a hassle to bring to jams and such.

I'd like some suggestions for a tube combo (or ~50w head + a 2x12) that I can get some good metal/djent tones out of and gig with as well. I'd like at least decent cleans too (I like to play a lot of Opeth :metal: ).

Sooo... I'm currently thinking 5150 combo... :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Price range?

Amps worth checking out in that wattage range:
-Budda Superdrive 45 (Aggressive, ballsy saturated Marshall sound) (~$1200 used)
-Orange Rockerverb 50 (huge wall-of-sound roar with tons of mids) (~$1200-1500 used)
-DAR Tuzzia (have not played one, but they look fantastic and seem interesting) ($1800 new)
-VHT/Fryette Deliverance 60 (if you like tight and super ultra dry)

Venomous

Reaction score
I'm looking for around $1000-1500, but I'd go more to get the sounds I want. BTW, I'm definitely willing to go used.

Venomous

Reaction score
Why not downsize to a 2x12? If you're not happy with the cleans you definatly wont be with a 5150. Although you could A/B it with a cheap Pod.

I stated the 2x12 option in my OP. Also, I think you may have misinterpreted (or maybe I wasn't clear enough); It's not that I disliked my cleans on my last rig, it's about upgrading to a newer nicer amp that has some good cleans as well as a killer dirt channel. :)

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Price range?

Amps worth checking out in that wattage range:
-Budda Superdrive 45 (Aggressive, ballsy saturated Marshall sound) (~$1200 used)
-Orange Rockerverb 50 (huge wall-of-sound roar with tons of mids) (~$1200-1500 used)
-DAR Tuzzia (have not played one, but they look fantastic and seem interesting) ($1800 new)
-VHT/Fryette Deliverance 60 (if you like tight and super ultra dry)

I run a Superdrive 45 through a Budda 412. Aggressive is right. It will hide NOTHING though. If you fuck up, everyone will know. If you got one of these with some really efficient speakers, like some Emi's with an spl rating of about 103, you won't sacrifice any volume on the 212. I got mine used on the bay for $1150. There's another one on Ebay right now used for about $1300. I HIGHLY recommend this amp. Super tight. Super punchy. The other guy in my band has a JVM410 and a XXX. Neither are as loud as the Budda or have the same punch or aggression.

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas for a new tube amp. I recently sold my huge Mesa 4x12 and 100w tube amp setup; it sounded great but it was kind of a hassle to bring to jams and such.

I'd like some suggestions for a tube combo (or ~50w head + a 2x12) that I can get some good metal/djent tones out of and gig with as well. I'd like at least decent cleans too (I like to play a lot of Opeth :metal: ).

Sooo... I'm currently thinking 5150 combo... :hbang:

5150/6505 combo. or if your ok with a 112, the 6505+ 112 combo is pretty fuckin sweet and fairly cheap too

hide

Psyche scarring
Reaction score
Maybe you could try a Rectoverb.

If you need more tightness than this:

then a pair of el34 should take care of it.

Nevermind youtube videos, I haven't seen a single good one for this particular head (and the combo version isn't really fantastic). If you find one, try it.

As TemjinStrife suggested, the Deliverance isn't for everyone, but it does its thing pretty well.

Venomous

Reaction score
There is someone in my area selling a rectoverb for around $800... I may have to go check it out :)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
tremoverb it up, except opeth uses laneys... ;)

BabUShka

Reaction score
If you want Opeth, I would go for an amp with clear distortion.
Such as Laney GH50/100L, Marshall JCM800, Marshall JVM, Orange Rocker 30 ++ and use a tubescreamer or even Boss SD-1 in front.
Use low gain settings and push it with the overdrive pedal.

Simple set-up. And those amps ain't that expensive. I am thinking of getting an used Laney just for fun because they are so damn cheap compared to other amps.

Btw.. ENGL Screamer combo has a pretty Opeth-alike distortion. Very versatile and underrated amp with fantastic cleans, low and high gain sounds.
Check it out!

Mop

Reaction score
5150 combo = more of a pain to move than a mesa 4x12 + shit cleans (I know from experience ;) )

I sold mine not long ago for those reasons and bought a rectoverb head (50w) and mesa 2x12 cab (horizontal recto). I would recommend giving one a try, I reckon it's a great setup (over budget though I guess, I don't know what gear goes for in your part of the world)

brodjentle

Reaction score
soooo you should definitely get a mark IV combo you can get the sickest leads and the cleanest cleans all in a little box its pretty fuckin badass... my guitarist uses one and it sounds boss... depending on what kind of lead channel you want maybe a mesa boogie dc-10 or dc-5 its got a more lead channel of a recto and the cleans of a mark...

idk i hope that helps and you can get a mark iv for around 1000 right now
so yepp

good luck

Venomous

Reaction score
I'm thinking about that mark IV or recto right now. Can they both get pretty djenty tones? I know they can both get decent cleans, and I've played a mark V before (I really liked it at the time).

')