New tubes for 6505+

• Thread starter Chris_ONiP
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_ONiP

Reaction score
Hey guys first thread here so I don't know if there's some kind of dedicated thread I should be posting in but here goes.

I have a 6505+ which i've owned for a few years now and still has the original Ruby 6L6s in it. I'm looking to get a new set of power tubes and also some new preamp tubes. I really like the tone I get now but I find it's a bit "metalcore." I am looking for more of a heavy pop punk tone like Chunk! No, Captain Chunk, These Hearts etc. I use an LTD MH-1000NT with a JB in the bridge, an Orange PPC412 and an MXR GT-OD.

I'm currently looking at a quad of Mullard matched 12AX7's but i'm stuck for a PI and power tubes. I hear a lot of good things about JJ's 6L6s but I want to know if there's anything better I could be looking at?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
I haven't used JJ 6l6 tubes, but I've always heard that they will likely sound a bit darker than some other brands. I have used JJ el34 and kt77 tubes, and really liked both :D, so there's that.

Chris_ONiP

Reaction score
I haven't used JJ 6l6 tubes, but I've always heard that they will likely sound a bit darker than some other brands. I have used JJ el34 and kt77 tubes, and really liked both :D, so there's that.

Yeah I actually like the darker sound like a 2 channel recto so that won't be a bad thing :)

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Tung sol 6l6's will be a bit less muffled sounding than the JJ's.

For the preamp, search on YouTube "6505 preamp shootout" and the first result is a guy trying different combinations of different preamp tubes in his 6505+. I'm on my phone now, otherwise I'd post the link.

Also, for a heavier sort of pop punk sound, try running the green channel on the crunch mode with the OD in front, medium-high gain setting, and eq to taste.

Chris_ONiP

Reaction score
Tung sol 6l6's will be a bit less muffled sounding than the JJ's.

For the preamp, search on YouTube "6505 preamp shootout" and the first result is a guy trying different combinations of different preamp tubes in his 6505+. I'm on my phone now, otherwise I'd post the link.

Also, for a heavier sort of pop punk sound, try running the green channel on the crunch mode with the OD in front, medium-high gain setting, and eq to taste.

Cheers dude i'll have a look. Yeah I already run the green channel boosted much more open sounding :)

vick1000

Reaction score
You're better off mixing preamp tubes, power tubes can be better matched, but some people like added distortion from non-matched power.

Just be sure all the power tubes are the same type. I recommend Tung Sol 7581s in all 6L6 based amps, especially if you use the clean channel. For pre amp, you will get all sorts of recommended combos. Each position effect each channel differently, with the exception of V1 and V6, which effect all channels. I would start with a Tung Sol in V1 and Soctek LPS in V6. You probably don't even need to replace the pre amp tubes, unless you just want to change the tone and feel of the gain.

Chris_ONiP

Reaction score
You're better off mixing preamp tubes, power tubes can be better matched, but some people like added distortion from non-matched power.

Just be sure all the power tubes are the same type. I recommend Tung Sol 7581s in all 6L6 based amps, especially if you use the clean channel. For pre amp, you will get all sorts of recommended combos. Each position effect each channel differently, with the exception of V1 and V6, which effect all channels. I would start with a Tung Sol in V1 and Soctek LPS in V6. You probably don't even need to replace the pre amp tubes, unless you just want to change the tone and feel of the gain.

Yeah getting a matched quad for the power tubes no doubt, but thinking of mixing tung-sol and EHX preamp tubes I hear a gold pin EHX in the PI is good. The main thing i'm trying to do is change my preamp gain tone.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Back on my laptop :yesway: here's this for ya

Also, Ola Englund did a bunch of testing with different power tubes while developing his signature amp, and this video has a few different types of 6L6's so you can find the differences between them easier than going off of words on a page haha

')