[NEW VIDEO] How LOW to Tune

soundbase

Reaction score
I've got a new video up that might be helpful to if you wanting to go low and you don't know how low you want to tune. I took a riff and then played it through from B all the way down to D1. So hopefully this gives you a rough idea on how low you'd like to go.

I used my PRS Mike Mushok from B to G, and then my Squier Stagemaster 7 with a baritone neck conversion from F# - D1.
Let me know which low tuning sounds good to you. Personally I like between G and F. But there's no right or wrong answer. Just thought it would be interesting to give a quick run-through on the different low tunings.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
I'm typically happy down to A, and prefer to use a bass any lower than that for the extra punch.

But in this case, I like this particular riff quite a bit in F.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
I'm typically happy down to A, and prefer to use a bass any lower than that for the extra punch.

But in this case, I like this particular riff quite a bit in F.

A# or G# myself

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
i prefer to kinda do a hybrid tuning.... ADADGBE. gives me literally everything i want. the lowest i go is a half step down from that, so just think of Polaris or Staind (yes i know he didnt use a 7, but he was Ab Db Ab Db Gb Bb)

akinari

Reaction score
Been subscribed to your channel for like 6 months dude!

For the lower tunings I'm fond of drop A# on my standard scale guitars, A standard/drop G and F# standard on my 27"/28" scale baritones, and anywhere from drop D#1 to drop C1 on t h e l o n g b o i s. I've got a 34" scale 7 all the way down in A0 if I really want to sound heinous.

tedtan

Reaction score
^ That's an interesting point. I favor A, but I'm playing 25.5" scale guitars. I might like lower tunings better on a longer scale length instrument.

akinari

Reaction score
A is cool on 25.5. I did it for years. I just really like longer scales in general. I'm even considering a 28" or maybe even a 30" scale guitar for A#, which is totally overkill for the tuning, but sounds sooo defined and piano-like.