New Whitechapel track

• Thread starter skeeballcore
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
When did they start to get really big? I saw them back in 08 with Unearth, Protest The Hero and Acacia Strain and it seemed like they had a decent number of fans then. Serious question, not trying to be an ass I just figured they had been around.

Started in 06, toured in 07 on a smaller level, didn't really step up to a professional level of touring until 08. In that year we supported Darkest Hour, The Devil Wears Prada, opened Summer Slaughter, played third on Summer Slaughter Canada, headlined for the first time, supported Unearth, and went to Europe for the first time on Never Say Die. So yeah I'd say 2008 was the year we "got big" per say because of This Is Exile and it's only been building since then.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
When did they start to get really big? I saw them back in 08 with Unearth, Protest The Hero and Acacia Strain and it seemed like they had a decent number of fans then. Serious question, not trying to be an ass I just figured they had been around.

At the end of 2006 they had a demo floating around with some horribly produced shit on it. I saw them at a venue in Houston called The Meltdown, which was a fucking church, too, in 2007. There were literally only the other bands in the place when they played.

They blew up after The Somatic Defilement got around. I still have the shirt I bought at that show. That album is responsible for deathcore bands replacing their lyrics with quasi-intellectual, first-person lyrics about violent acts. Not saying Whitechapel was the first band to do it, but as far as deathcore is concerned, they were the ones who made it the norm. Of course, with the release of Planetary Duality by The Faceless, everyone wants to be progressive and write lyrics about aliens.

EDIT: I didn't mean to make Whitechapel's lyrics seem quasi-intellectual. That applies to the masses (and even me, it's true) trying and failing to match Phil's excellent writing and sense of perspective.

the fuhrer

Reaction score
:yesway: Well it seems that they are only getting better.

P.S. Planetary Duality (and aliens) fucking kicks ass!

decypher

Reaction score
Edit2: never mind.

Edit: Thanks a lot to Ibanez 6784 for making it as easy as it should be!

all in all, lots of growl and stuff. good, it's the trend.

ian14892

Reaction score
Ok Alex, I fucking loved the song. To me, it sounds nothing like any other WC song and is still great which is impressive. I liked the Somatic Defilement but I think This is Exile was just as riff based, and love it just as much. Phil sounds a little different in this song, but Its really fitting. I think the biggest difference with the guitars is the chords you used, and it really gives the song a little more feeling I think.

I haven't been this excited hearing a new song in a very long time, thank you! haha :yesway: :yesway:

Really stoked to see a lot of guys that didn't really like us before are getting into this new song.

So how would you say this song is so different from our previous material? I mean the difference compared to Somatic and This Is Exile is obvious but I think it's still kind of in the vein of A New Era of Corruption sorta, with slight differences. Would you just say it's more "progressive"? Just trying to figure it out so I know what to do when writing in the future hahaha! ;)

Of course you can't please everyone, all the 14-18 year olds keep saying bring back Somatic and the older crowd says this stuff rules, so I guess i'm just glad the majority of our fans like it rather than the minority haha.

skeeballcore

Reaction score
Just FYI, for fans of TSD, this EP was recorded by the same guy/place that did TSD. Knowing the engineer I believe he's came a long way during that time. After TSD he also remastered one of his TSD mixes and I personally preferred it over the finished profyct; my opinion, 2 cents, etc and soforth

stevo1

ClearTrack Studios
Reaction score
Im not sure if I like it yet. Right now I'm kind of getting lost in it, Like I haven't identified what it's all about yet. That's what makes things interesting, and i'll have to listen to it at least 10 more times! That's what I like about the way you guys have progressed.

This is Exile really clicked with me, It was the simplicity of some parts mixed with the complexity and brutality of other parts. I got it after like the first full listen. A New Era of Corruption was great, It took me a couple of listens to really enjoy it, But it's getting more complex like not only riff wise, but background wise, like background leads, drums, etc.

But IMO it'll never top This is Exile for me. But, Ill be buying the EP for sure so I can hear it, and Ill probably love it after a few listens.

Keep giving us awesome music Alex!!:metal:

Spaceman_Spiff

Contributor
Reaction score
Wow...I haven't listened to you guys in long time other than some This Is Exile songs occasionally coming up when my ipod is on shuffle, (I still love TIE) but this song is damn good, and I mean damn good. Definitely picking this up when it comes out!

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
But Vincent was around long before Bozeman. Also Bozeman moved away from his normal style of screaming on This is Exile and New Era o' Corruption.

I don't think it really matters. They're different bands with different styles of writing. Both are good. I personally think Phil has a little more girth behind his growls, but I think that Vincent can get away with not having that since they're more hardcore oriented.

Gitte

Reaction score
i really like this song. and even if its not perfectly recorded or whatever you guys called it, this makes this recording a very "alive" and still brutal as hell recording! congrats alex!

VILARIKA

Reaction score
I dig the song, but I don't know if I would be willing to listen to the whole EP with the quality of production its in :ugh:

Reaction score
Ive been watching you guys since the beginning. I live in Louisville, KY, so Ive seen you all play a million times at tiny venues before you all made it, played on many of the shows actually. To me, TiE is the best stuff you guys have done. I loved Somatic too, but you all progressed in a great way when writing Exile. After that, while I still enjoyed it, the music started becoming less of what I had come to expect from you all. Section 8 doesn't even start to pick up until about 1:30, then slows back down already by 2:00. Its heavy, but wheres the intensity and speed anymore? This is metal after all, bring on the blast beats and picking!

Ill still be at every show when you all come through here, but the newer stuff just lacks some of the key aspects of the bands earlier strengths.

orakle

djentleman
Reaction score
while im a fuckin ''This is exile'' album diehard fan

this new stuff is so freakin gooood

bring it on !! :D

')