New Wood, woohooo!!!

• Thread starter scherzo1928
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IkarusOnFire

Reaction score
I am almost on the verge of going for walnut like that, instead of bubinga on my next project. Thanks for showing off such a lovely piece of wood ;)

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Sweet :yesway: Still kicking myself for not grabbing the slab of bastogne I was eyeing that was $90 :wallbash:

2 things.

1st, got this with the 20% off on black friday. :fawk:

2nd, Buy one anyways. I was unsure about getting a walnut top, but this is very very different to the other walnuts I've seen or cut. Doesn't have that ridonculous midrange thing going on. Very pleasantly surprised with it's tap tone, and small test cut I made today.

I almoast feel it was unfair getting this at a discount.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Alrighty, I need your help. Tell me what you think about this design.
ze1.jpg

ze2.jpg

ze3.jpg

It's basically the shape I used for my nylon 7 stringer, with a few rather obvious touch ups.

Oh, and it will MOST likely be a 7 stringer... unless I don't get the wood I ordered months ago, then I'll adapt this for a 6er.

thoughts?

Purelojik

Reaction score
dude i dig. it'll make some interesting curves especially if you shape the arm contours a bit. cant wait!

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
also, I swear one day I'll tear table table appart and make a guitar out of it. it's 2" mahogany after all...

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I love the swoop in the back of the guitar but I'm not sure about the horns. It's quite unique though. Regardless I can't wait for another one of your builds to start.

Swyse

Swyse
Reaction score
I really liked your flat horns on the other one, but I think this design is almost as good.

mountainjam

Reaction score
I dig the design man, but if it were me Ide make the ass end a little smaller.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Got a bunch of tools!

ze4.jpg

Let's see, cabinet scrapers set, dead blow fretting hammer, fret slot depth gauge, fret protecto thingers, binding chanel router bit and ball bearings, chissel sharpening set, height gauge, Japanese fret slot cleaning saw, fret tang nipper, micromesh things, a template to try out, lots of binding, and a bunch of random guitar parts like pots, knobs, etc.

Still no bandsaw though, and it seems like I shall remain bandsaw-less for a good while.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I agree the booty should be a bit slimmer and I even think it might look cool if the uppeer horn were slightly larger. Then again, making the ass end smaller might make all the necessary difference as the upper horn is already noticeably larger than the lower one.

metalvince333

Gear Whore
Reaction score
haha with my build I was really torn out between choosing a walnut burl and the buckeye burl I chose to put along with my birdseye maple board and redwood body :lol: looks like we have similar taste in wood!

anthonyferguson

Reaction score
I am thoroughly looking forward to this, Mr. Scherzo. If you'd like my 2c on your body shape (unless you've already cut it) I would say, move the little hook on the back edge further down towards the bottom, and push that side of the bottom out a bit to make it less symmetrical. Also perhaps on the horns, put a little angle on the outside edges right on the corner, so there's a separate arc for the tip bit..... Oh fuck it, to MS paint. EXCUSE THE SHITTINESS PLEASE!! I hope you catch my drift...

shit.png

Jontain

Reaction score
Sweet shape man, very original which is rare to see in guitar shapes these days!

:bowdown: Look forward to seeing the progress!

')