New Wood, woohooo!!!

• Thread starter scherzo1928
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
I am thoroughly looking forward to this, Mr. Scherzo. If you'd like my 2c on your body shape (unless you've already cut it) I would say, move the little hook on the back edge further down towards the bottom, and push that side of the bottom out a bit to make it less symmetrical. Also perhaps on the horns, put a little angle on the outside edges right on the corner, so there's a separate arc for the tip bit..... Oh fuck it, to MS paint. EXCUSE THE SHITTINESS PLEASE!! I hope you catch my drift...

shit.png

Holy crap we think alike. I did think about doing that little angle edge thing on the upper horn, but somehow felt it was too much... I'll reconsider.

As for the bottom of the guitar, I did want to bring the lower part further out to make it very asymetrical, but found that it messed up with my plaing posture since I play in classical position.

This shape is by no means final, but I like where it's going. It might also not be the shape for this piece of wood. I'll decide when the dude selling me wood decides to ship it...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

anthonyferguson

Reaction score
Cool cool!! The shape of a guitar and it just looking 'right' is such an abstract concept, strange that opinions can be so definite. Weird!

Either way, I really look forward to this thing. Super strat shapes with a little twist are right down my street, and I like the little flicky bits like the one on the back of the body!

Floody_85

Reaction score
Got a bunch of tools!

ze4.jpg

Let's see, cabinet scrapers set, dead blow fretting hammer, fret slot depth gauge, fret protecto thingers, binding chanel router bit and ball bearings, chissel sharpening set, height gauge, Japanese fret slot cleaning saw, fret tang nipper, micromesh things, a template to try out, lots of binding, and a bunch of random guitar parts like pots, knobs, etc.

Still no bandsaw though, and it seems like I shall remain bandsaw-less for a good while.

Nice score man.. A word of warning..Dont use the tang nippers on stainless steel frets..I ruined my tang nippers and normal fret nippers from stewmac after one stainless steel neck..It left dings all over them.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
I think leave the notch out at the top from Anthonys diagram. I think it looks awesome, I'd just slim it down at the back, but it seems like you're going to. Can't wait for another one of your builds

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
That height gauge seems incredibly handy for neck profiling, nice new toys you got there!

@Floody_85: Is there a specific set of nippers to get for ss frets or do you need a different tool?

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Nice score man.. A word of warning..Dont use the tang nippers on stainless steel frets..I ruined my tang nippers and normal fret nippers from stewmac after one stainless steel neck..It left dings all over them.

Yeah, I read that on a review on steamac's website. Have you tried them on evo fretwire? If I feel they aren't tough enough for evo frets I'll probably just use mah dremel.

I think leave the notch out at the top from Anthonys diagram. I think it looks awesome, I'd just slim it down at the back, but it seems like you're going to. Can't wait for another one of your builds

I really can't wait to start cutting stuff... but I've got no clue on when that will happen.

That height gauge seems incredibly handy for neck profiling, nice new toys you got there!

@Floody_85: Is there a specific set of nippers to get for ss frets or do you need a different tool?

The height gauge is probably my favorite out of the stuff I just bought... Just imagine how useful it can be for setting up routers, router tables, table saws... chambers, neck profiles, jigs...

I've seen a tang nipper for ss frets on lmii, but iirc it costs a nut.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
more wood, woohooo!!!
ze5.jpg

This should last me for a very good while. Bought a big ass plank of mahogany (actual Swietenia macrophylla), got enough to make 5 1 piece bodies (it's all slightly over 2" thick, 15"wide), and a shitload of necks. They've had this wood since forever at my trusted lumberyard (and they have quite a few more planks) so they gave me a great price... payed a bit less than 150 usd for all of it.

The wood is very light... well, the pieces are friggin heavy, but that's because they are gigantic. My calculations say it's got a density of about 510 kg/m3 (one piece is under 500) which is 31.21 to 31.83 lb/ft3, making it VERY light, and making me VERY happy.

I also suspect the wood is very dry (should be with that density and age) but I'll have it's moisture content checked just in case.

Floody_85

Reaction score
Yeah, I read that on a review on steamac's website. Have you tried them on evo fretwire? If I feel they aren't tough enough for evo frets I'll probably just use mah dremel.

I only used them once for evo gold and they worked fine. Nice score on the wood!!!

blackgecko

Reaction score
may i ask where did in mexico you buy your wood? im in mexico city and have search everywhere without luck.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
may i ask where did in mexico you buy your wood? im in mexico city and have search everywhere without luck.

que onda? Vivo en el estado de México, en Atizapán. Hay una maderería llamada Montesol (creo) sobre el boulevard López Mateos, esquina con Montesol, a una cuadra del Unitec Atizapán. Cerca de ahí hay otras madererías más grandes, pero siempre he tenido mucha suerte y muy buen servicio con ellos.

Las maderas exóticas se las compro a una persona en Yucatán.
Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

Hay otro distribuidor en Michoacan que tiene prácticamente cualquier madera... pero su servicio es PÉSIMO si haces pedidos pequeños... De todas formas te paso su contacto, y a ver si tu tienes suerte con ellos.
Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More
mendozawoods@hotmail.com

Latest posts

')