New Wood, woohooo!!!

• Thread starter scherzo1928
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Sooooo, I think it's about time I build something new. I've been trying to buy woodfrom a local source, but oddly enough, he's got some troubles with the local "mafia". Hopefully, he will be able to send me some really nice wood in a couple of weeks.

But, for now...

I've bought...

Some Walnut....

Bastogne Walnut!!!

3451.jpg

Can't wait to get my hands on it!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score

Holy shit you posted fast!

And yeah, I was about to order the redwood, and realized each board was 6.25" wide, and I still had to joint them, so it was likely it wouldn't be wide enough for what I've got planned.

Still, it was a very very tough choice.

Mike_D

Reaction score
Oh dear that's beautiful. Mind if I ask where you got it?

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I was just wondering why you haven't started a new build yet :lol:. Looking forward to it as usual man.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
love that place! awesome stuff thats where i got the top for my build!

Aye, love it. And Dana is always VERY helpful. I also ordered a birdseye fingerboard, and I told here I didn't need the full 27" board as advertised, so she said she'd find one that was 20" long, or cut down a normal board so my friend can put it in his luggage.

Looks great man!

I like that it's completely out there. There were a bunch of really nice perfectly symmetrical sets with consistent figure and straight grain, but this one is just nuts... which is perfect for me.

Build something weird out of that!! haha... can't wait..

I've been working on the shape the last days. Still can't dial in what I'm looking for, but I'm getting close.

I look forward to another build thread.
:metal:

It's about time right?

I was just wondering why you haven't started a new build yet :lol:. Looking forward to it as usual man.

Yeah man, my wood supplier has had a lot of problems, and I hope he gets them sorted out soon.

I'm unsure of what I'll be doing with this tbh. Today I should be getting all the hardware I ordered 2 months ago, but I think that stuffwould work better with different wood.

Who knows, maybe this will turn into a multiscale 7 string?

stevemcqueen

Namby Pamby
Reaction score
Beautiful. I am just completely in love with walnut. I am looking forward to following your build and also looking forward to getting my walnut Carvin!

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
So, the stuff I ordered 2 moths ago has arrived. I ordered it for a particular combination of woods I was hoping to get, but I've had trouble with that as well.

Anyways, this is it:
firstwoo.jpg

Hipshot gripthing tuners, Tone zone, true velvet and air norton pickups, 5 way switch, etc.

I'll see how everything goes, but I might end up using all this hardware for this nice piece of wood. :coffee:

idunno

Reaction score
Why did it take so long to arrive?

And hell yes I love getting new wood! Make that tree proud.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Mmmmmm Love walnut...

and gripthings.....

Gripthings are awesome!! I like the Gotoh 510 design better, but these have the grip thing going on, and they cost half as much...

Why did it take so long to arrive?

And hell yes I love getting new wood! Make that tree proud.

Well, my sis was going to bring them to me from theUS when she came to visit, but she had to cancell her trip, so I had them mailed to someone else who eventually got them to me.

XylemBassGuitar

Owner, Xylem Guitars
Reaction score
That is a BEAUTIFUL top! Congrats on the purchase, Oregon Wildwood is awesome, it's so hard not to buy from them every week.

Can't wait to see the finished instrument!

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Finally got my wood! yeeeeh!!

Also got a nice birdseye maple fingerboad, which may or may not end up paired with the walnut.
qsa1.jpg

:hbang:

Bit of naphta...
qsa2.jpg

qsa3.jpg

Didn't really capture the color properly with my camera because it's somewhat dark in here laready.

Oh, and check out them FLAMESES!
qsa4.jpg

qsa5.jpg

I'm extremely pleased with mah wood. It's probably the first time that wood from OWW looks better in person (without mineral spirits or anything)
than in their photos. The curls are awesome, extremely 3D even dry. The grain is nice an tights and has a really nice wavy feature to it similar to that of waterfall bubinga. AND the color is astonishing. As for the tap tone, I find it a little bit more like maple than the walnut I'm used to... Lows are BIIIIG, and highs sing nicely.

The maple board is pretty enough. It was advertised as having moderate figure, and it's certainly enough. It has a bit of a quilt thing going on as well, and it's tap tone might just be the best of the fingerboards I've used so far, which most certainly makes up for the medium figure.

Can't wait to see what I end up making out of this!

')