New world record for fastest guitar player

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Record yourself playing a 3 note per string A major scale or something. At 1300bpm of course.

I don't see how most people struggle to hit 250, but these FOTB record guys just ramp the click up in increments of 200, 400, 800, 1300, 200000000

The odd thing to me, is when they actually play a solo it sounds like shit. And none of their "real" playing is anywhere near 50+ notes per second.

I mean come on, you don't really believe you can alternate pick 87 notes a second? Do you really believe that? That isn't physically possible.

Please do a video of scales and lines at 1300bpm 16ths.

He explained he does "bow picking", so i assume there's more technique magic to make it work, rather than actually picking each of the notes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

m3l-mrq3z

Banned
Reaction score
Nice skills. Here is what I think:

I seriously doubt a human is able to know whether he is playing in time or not once the metronome starts to sound like 16ths being played at 260 (which are actually quarter notes). Basically, speeds higher than 240 have to be divided by two in order for a player to stay play in time. No serious composer would want a click track that sounds like a machine gun.

When the metronome is playing 4th notes at 500, it is basically playing 8th notes at 250 bpm, which are basically 16th notes at 125 bpm. In this case, since you are playing 16th notes at 500 bpm, you are playing 64th notes for each 4th note at 125 bpm, and no guitarist has ever done that. Now, when you play at 1000 bpm you are playing 4 notes per beat (as the Flight of the bumblebee is all about 16ths), which equals 64 notes in a single quarter note at 125 bpm.

m3l-mrq3z

Banned
Reaction score

I seriously doubt a human is able to know whether he is playing in time or not once the metronome starts to sound like 16ths being played at 260 (which are actually quarter notes). Basically, speeds higher than 240 have to be divided by two in order for a player to stay play in time. No serious composer would want a click track that sounds like a machine gun.

When the metronome is playing 4th notes at 500, it is basically playing 8th notes at 250 bpm, which are basically 16th notes at 125 bpm. In this case, since you are playing 16th notes at 500 bpm, you are playing 64th notes for each 4th note at 125 bpm, and no guitarist has ever done that. Now, when you play at 1000 bpm you are playing 4 notes per beat (as the Flight of the bumblebee is all about 16ths), which equals 64 notes in a single quarter note at 125 bpm.

Downdate: My calculations might be dodgy. Corrections are welcome. What I am trying to say is that it is impossible to know whether or not 16ths are being played at 500-1300 bpm without considerably slowing the video down.

SuperShredderDan

Reaction score
Downdate: My calculations might be dodgy. Corrections are welcome. What I am trying to say is that it is impossible to know whether or not 16ths are being played at 500-1300 bpm without considerably slowing the video down.
you can't tell also because theres a lot more than arm goes up ok thats one stroke. arm down two strokes. no no no it dosnt work like that

SuperShredderDan

Reaction score

thats why i have the midi track to play against

sear

Reaction score
Technicalities aside, that is some seriously amazing fretwork. I wish my hands could move that fast. Congratulations.

thats why i have the midi track to play against
Arguably the "insane" distortion on your Line 6 Spider masks the notes you're playing with huge amounts of gain, which makes it very difficult to verify whether you are actually playing the notes distinctly.

SuperShredderDan

Reaction score
Technicalities aside, that is some seriously amazing fretwork. I wish my hands could move that fast. Congratulations.

Arguably the "insane" distortion on your Line 6 Spider masks the notes you're playing with huge amounts of gain, which makes it very difficult to verify whether you are actually playing the notes distinctly.
the compression and gain helps bring out every detail of my playing especially my mistakes actually

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
my brain does not compute 87 notes per second. 87 notes in 1 second? really? :scratch::spock:
crazy.

Reaction score
[The hummingbirds] can hover in mid-air by rapidly flapping their wings 12–80 times per second (depending on the species).

-Wikipedia

So you pick faster than a hummingbird's wings. Cheers!

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
think how a bow works on a violin... there you go
That really doesn't answer a thing. Bows and picks don't work in exactly the same way and there are quite a few things a bow allows you to do that a pick doesn't.

You're playing legato for the majority of the time as far as I can see, and if that's the case, why not call it by it's actual name?

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
As an aside, it'd be funny to write a solo that's that fast.

"Hey guys, check out this solo I wrote!"

*zzip*

"...wtf?"

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
In defense of Dan, he wanted to get into the Guinness book for being the fastest guitarist. He did that, at least according to the requirements of Guinness. He's not saying people should play fast, or that speed>soul of anything. It's just like there's no point in criticizing the guy with the longest fingernails for them not being pretty or practical.

Edit: Picture of the lady with long nails. Cuz one does not mention longest nails without a picture. :lol:
4548gn4.jpg

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
That really doesn't answer a thing. Bows and picks don't work in exactly the same way and there are quite a few things a bow allows you to do that a pick doesn't.

You're playing legato for the majority of the time as far as I can see, and if that's the case, why not call it by it's actual name?

Gave this a listen and it was a good thing I needed a laugh today (it delivered, for sure). "bow picking" :lol:. It just keeps getting funnier.

SuperShredderDan

Reaction score

basically what is is is your "activating" the string with the pick. does that make any sense

')