New world record for fastest guitar player

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
So do you have to rosin your pick to get the requisite friction? I can see it working on the wound strings a lot more than the unwound otherwise as there wouldn't be enough movement I would think.

I would like to see your approach here though, unique as it sounds.

I'm not really interested in whether or not he can actually play at 1300bpm personally.
I'm more interested in this technique he claims to be using.
The only thing I can think of is some picking technique where you pull the pick up and away from the string rather than across it letting the rosin on the pick "activate" it.
I have some rosin, so I can test that hypothesis pretty easily.

It seems unlikely though, and until/unless he's nice enough to upload a video demonstrating the technique in detail I'm going with a combination of economy picking, legato and a shitload of distortion.

OP if you do upload a video of the technique, do it on the clean channel.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CrownofWorms

Reaction score
Wank Wank Wank Wank

I get it's a world record competition, but I'm not impressed at all. It just feels like a wank off(well it is). In time there will be faster, probably even some around right now that are fast

It'll be cool if he can put that in something that is songwriting though

SuperShredderDan

Reaction score
Wank Wank Wank Wank

I get it's a world record competition, but I'm not impressed at all. It just feels like a wank off(well it is). In time there will be faster, probably even some around right now that are fast

It'll be cool if he can put that in something that is songwriting though
im not sure i can apply it to music. i never play very fast when making actual music

SuperShredderDan

Reaction score
I'm not really interested in whether or not he can actually play at 1300bpm personally.
I'm more interested in this technique he claims to be using.
The only thing I can think of is some picking technique where you pull the pick up and away from the string rather than across it letting the rosin on the pick "activate" it.
I have some rosin, so I can test that hypothesis pretty easily.

It seems unlikely though, and until/unless he's nice enough to upload a video demonstrating the technique in detail I'm going with a combination of economy picking, legato and a shitload of distortion.

OP if you do upload a video of the technique, do it on the clean channel.
ill do what i can but unless i use my laptop webcam it is an absolute pain to make a video. all the converting and stuff i have to do to make my computer read it and edit it is so time consuming, but enough people care so I all figure something out

MJS

Reaction score
Wank Wank Wank Wank

I get it's a world record competition, but I'm not impressed at all. It just feels like a wank off(well it is).

As opposed to all those other things in the record books that have tons of practical everyday uses?

I could be wrong here, but I think if he went to break the speed record by putting a ton of emotion into one note while making dumb guitar faces, he probably would have failed. Good thing he took the wanky play-amazingly-fast approach instead. :D

In time there will be faster, probably even some around right now that are fast

And? :scratch:

If that mattered at all, no one would ever put any effort into doing anything, since someone else would eventually come along and do it better anyway.

SuperShredderDan

Reaction score
As opposed to all those other things in the record books that have tons of practical everyday uses?

I could be wrong here, but I think if he went to break the speed record by putting a ton of emotion into one note while making dumb guitar faces, he probably would have failed. Good thing he took the wanky play-amazingly-fast approach instead. :D

And? :scratch:

If that mattered at all, no one would ever put any effort into doing anything, since someone else would eventually come along and do it better anyway.
should Martin King Luther not have made that speech because someone else could do it bait better (which i doubt anyone could)? no! he just did it and did it well

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Wow, are we discussing the reproducibility of some scientific experiment?

I don't think so. Do you ask Petrucci to record and film himself doing the Glass Prison arpeggios in order to really see if he did them and did not edit it? No, and he clearly can't pull them off live. At least not as clearly.

You're lucky if the guy decides he wants to prove it to you and actually records himself re-playing the song as he played it on the video, and films himself doing it, and uploads both the video and the file so you can fucking believe...

Man I don't think he's so desperate to be worshipped, and I don't think he's got anything to prove to anyone, and much less to you.

I'd still like to hear a DI, not to prove him wrong or anything.. Would just be epic to hear in comparison to a poorly filmed video.

Spaceman_Spiff

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm still calling bullshit on this.

I don't know, it looks like it's not sped up to me. Just look at the guy standing next to him. It sounds pretty terrible, and I really can't bring myself to even care, but I don't think it's sped up.

Granted, I still think this is ridiculous, and that people need to stop turning everything into a goddamn competition.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
Yeah, I could honestly care less about whether this is real or not. If it is, good on ya. If not, oh well, does it really effect you people?

I want to know about this bow picking thing. I'm seriously interested.

Tyler

Reaction score
I couldnt even keep up at 300. Incredible feat.

I love how it just starts to sound like a pinball machine after a while xD

Reaction score
ill do what i can but unless i use my laptop webcam it is an absolute pain to make a video. all the converting and stuff i have to do to make my computer read it and edit it is so time consuming, but enough people care so I all figure something out

I think most of us are interested in this, mostly about the technique you are using. And just out of curiosity, did you learn this bow picking technique by yourself? Was it your guitar teacher?

And where the hell have you heard about this technique (if it's not from your personal teacher)? I can't find a thing on it!

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
I'm back with results.

What I was assuming he was doing; pulling up and away from the string while pressing the pick against it actually does work and gives a different sound from a normal picking style. I'm not surprised since I've been using this as an effect for a while (and I rosin my picks rather than score them for grip). It works on every string wound or unwound.
It does not give a constant attack like a bow would, in fact it doesn't even come close, so you must rely on legato and the remaining notes are created through the hammer on's and pull offs.

Dragging the face of the rosin covered pick through the string like a normal pick stroke rather than using the tip of the pick also works, but again, you must rely on legato to get more than one note, and the subsequent notes are produced through the hammer on/pull offs.

ChrisRushing

Fretboard Acrobat
Reaction score
I'm not questioning whether it's real or not. I am curious how the record keepers actually diagnose what is going on during the performance? Is the record based strictly from the video being submitted? When you get above a certain speed, it literally sounds like a wall of noise to my ears. I can't imagine being able to slow it down enough while retaining the original pitch and still have it be clear enough (based on the sample video) to distinguish that every note was played accurately, or that your performance was cleaner than someone else's record attempt. Congrats on the record.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
blunt, but basically thats right. i just wanted to put it out there that i accomplished this, not to "prove" it again and again in different ways to everyone on the internet

I'm going to qualify the following statement by saying that it doesn't necessarily reflect what *I* believe, lest I have to put on a flak jacket:

When people say that they doubt you can reproduce what you did, they're implying that they doubt you did it at all in the first place.

In any case, if your record has been accepted, then congratulations. :yesway:

djyngwie

Reaction score
Sorry, but I'm not believing it. Like the Sterling video it just seems like arbitrarily high numbers being thrown around. Some of the endings sound so off, that at the tempos involved, it means being a few bars ahead or behind. All masked by fizzy distortion and the backing track (it may be required, but it's also a convenient thing to hide behind).

I don't mean to judge whether it's a waste of time or use the stupid "oh yeah, but can he play with feel?" false dichotomy. That's irrelevant. But I do want to question the speed. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The video is not an example of the latter. And no other of these recent 500+ bmp record attempts I've seen have been able to stand up to closer scrutiny. I don't think you're deliberately trying to cheat us here, Dan. Rather, I think you're deluding yourself.

That's not to say your technique doesn't look impressive, but 1300? No way.

')