New Xiphos?

• Thread starter jamesfarrell
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jamesfarrell

Use to Djent
Reaction score
Has this been discussed? I'm usually behind the 8 ball. I didn't see a lot about it in the 2015 IBZ thread, so I figured I'd make a new thread about it.

Think the price is hefty? Think it will come down in price?

I'm liking the looks of this thing. But 9 hondo? Think that's a tad steep.

XPIR20E_BKF_1P_01.png

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Le Jeff

Reaction score
I liked those a lot the last time they were available but the Edge 3 kept me away. I'm not sure I'd ever play that anywhere except the house, but I really want one (especially if it has an ebony board like it looks in that pic).

manu80

Reaction score
with the P Stanley iceman i think that's the 2 i'm gonna get this year....
oh wait i forgot the brett hinds V ...

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd pick up a used XPT700 before even considering one of these. They might look a little sleeker, but not enough to justify the jump in price. Same quality too.

Reaction score
I bought one of the original series w/ the Orange/red/green when it had come out. Great guitar. It appears they resolved a couple issues by not going w/ the edge III (which I ended up pulling out and putting in a low end floyd. (Say what you will but I prefer it's playbility now over the edge III) and the button placement for the strap to avoid neck dive. They did switch to bolt on though, which I am sure some people like, but I like the neck-thru on mine. Anyway, long story short I believe I paid about 800.00 for mine when it had come out, so if they have upgraded components the price seems to make sense. Guess I'd have to play it for a fair comparison to the original series.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
The crazy neck dive recipe is still there. :/

Looks like they've remedied that on this model, they've relocated the rear strap button lower down the wing and parallel to the low E string. It's the exact spot where I put my strap button and little to no neck dive whatsoever.

And agreed with grabbing an older 700 model or variant, including the XH 27 fretters. I have the older less pronounced beveled version and it was my main touring instrument for years. Still love it.

porknchili

G.A.S.ITIS
Reaction score
I'd rather have had Ibanez refresh the XPT700XH than the standard Xiphos, but at least they brought it back. Also, the iron label price premium is pretty dumb if you ask me.

Thorerges

Reaction score
I also think $900 is a bit steep for an Iron Label model. Although I am a fan of that lineup and had an Iron Label for a year, anything above $500 is a bit too much, you're basically paying for aesthetics.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I had one of the original Xiphos and it was a great guitar, I didn't have any trouble with the bridge, I set it up in C and it was very stable. As fancy as this model looks, I think I'd rather have one of the 27 fret models if I was buying another.

jamesfarrell

Use to Djent
Reaction score
Looks like they've remedied that on this model, they've relocated the rear strap button lower down the wing and parallel to the low E string. It's the exact spot where I put my strap button and little to no neck dive whatsoever.

And agreed with grabbing an older 700 model or variant, including the XH 27 fretters. I have the older less pronounced beveled version and it was my main touring instrument for years. Still love it.

Thank God, I have a BC Rich 7 Stealth, I had to move the neck strap button 2x before I got it right.

It's amazing that engineers can design an awesome guitar, but not know where to put the f***ing strap buttons. It's boggles my mind. It makes me think that they just design a guitar on a computer, send it to manufacturing and start shipping them.

Does anybody ever sit down with a prototype and put a God Damn strap on the thing and go :scratch:

I had one of the first Xiphos 7 strings. Guitar was great. Fit and finish was awesome. Then I got a Xiphos 6 string, what a piece of garbage that was.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
That's because the guys coming up with the guitars are designers, not engineers :p

jamesfarrell

Use to Djent
Reaction score
That's because the guys coming up with the guitars are designers, not engineers :p

Well either or, you think someone along the line might say "hey Bob, think the strap buttons are in the right location? Might want to throw on a strap and check eh?"

"No need to check that Jeb, we'll just have the buyers figure out where the put the damn strap buttons."

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well either or, you think someone along the line might say "hey Bob, think the strap buttons are in the right location? Might want to throw on a strap and check eh?"

"No need to check that Jeb, we'll just have the buyers figure out where the put the damn strap buttons."

To be fair, a lot of how well a guitar balances comes down to how you hold it, your preferred strap height, and even the type of strap you use.

I keep my guitars relatively high and rest my arm on the bout which means pretty much any guitar is going to feel balanced as the weight of my arm is what's holding it in place.

I had an XPT707 and it didn't balance that bad when strapped up right. I can totally see how someone who slings lower would have problems though.

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
To be fair, a lot of how well a guitar balances comes down to how you hold it, your preferred strap height, and even the type of strap you use.

I keep my guitars relatively high and rest my arm on the bout which means pretty much any guitar is going to feel balanced as the weight of my arm is what's holding it in place.

I had an XPT707 and it didn't balance that bad when strapped up right. I can totally see how someone who slings lower would have problems though.

:agreed:

My XPT707 has no problems with neck dive. Mostly because I sling fairly high and use a nice wide-ish strap.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score

:agreed: And as a low slinger, this is exactly why I repositioned the strap buttons. Add to the fact that I use Dimarzio cliplocks and do all sorts of stage antics means I need guitar to stay put when I'm not swinging it around.

Also add that putting the button right on the edge of the wing has been as old as the Gibson Flying V. If I had such a V, I'd change the strap position stat.

')