Newbie seeking advice on Blackjack SLS C-7

Reaction score
So, I've just started playing (a few weeks ago), and I started out on a 7-string because I really like the range on it.
I was raised by a jazz singer who pushed me into being a classical cellist from the age of seven... ended up at Juilliard after high school, took theory and played cello my whole life - and a few years back I picked up an electric cello (which got stolen last year).:mad:

I was never able to achieve the sound I wanted out of the electric cello anyway, due to the pickups being in the bridge/no frets/majorly curved fretboard, etc.

So, in a nutshell... I think it'll be a fairly painless transition - once I adjust to the strange tuning (4th's & that one 3rd on guitar vs all 5th's on the cello).

Basically, I just grabbed a Schecter SGR (MiC) C-7 at GC for $199.

While it seems o.k. to get started with, I know that it'll be worthless in a few months (as far as $$$ and playability once I learn my way around the instrument - crap pickups, medium frets, no locking tuners...).

I played a few Blackjack SLS C-1's (they didn't have any C-7's at the GC near me, and they aren't to be found anywhere else in the town where i live), and they felt really GOOD. Loved the Ultra-Slim satin finish neck. It's 19mm at 1st fret, 20mm at 12th vs. my SGR which is Not satin finish and 20mm-22mm with junk pups & medium frets.

I'm just playing straight into my music production laptop (through my interface) using N.i.'s Guitar Rig 5 - through my Eris e5 studio monitors for the time being. Amp will be further down the road.

Sorry this is so long, just trying to provide necessary info for feedback:blahblah:

Anyway, I can return this to GC for like another week - get my $200 back and throw it into something that might last me a bit longer and be more comfortable and Sound Better... pretty well decided on the Blackjack SLS C-7 (with the dots, NOT the skull inlay), but $899 is way too much.
I can get a satin black one for $650 with the Blackouts or a Blue Burst OR satin black with the SD jazz/full shred passives for $615 going the "Scratch n Dent" route.

Is this a horrible idea?
I like how Gear Orphanage actually shows pics of what's wrong with their b-stock, but I can't get ahold of the dude there, and figure his stuff's more than I can afford. $650 being the absolute max.

Pretty skeptical of buying anything "Scratch n Dent" sight unseen, but figure if it's horrible I'll just send it back and be out the cost of return shipping.

Any thoughts, suggestions, feedback on active vs passive with this particular guitar and AMS/Zzounds "Scratch n Dent" info would be greatly appreciated.

I guess the other option MIGHT be to get an Ibanez and throw new pups in it, but I'm hearing that the newer ones are on the crappier side? And I also want the 26.5/27 neck for drop A tuning.

Thanks in advance:hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ykcirj

Reaction score
The sls series are the best Schecters out there right now I n my opinion. The set up right out of the box is great. The new models are a little expensive(when comparing them to the price I paid for my Carvins) but for 6-700$ it's definitely worth it. The passive model I had was great. I don't think you'll be disappointed. AMS is a great company to deal with. That's where I got mine from. It's a worthy investment if you plan on playing guitar the rest of your life. Good luck!

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I can't speak to the used aspect of your post but I will say that the SLS is a quality instrument with quality components.
I would suggest going the passive route for more versatility, unless you are able to try out a guitar with blackouts beforehand and can confirm that they don't work against the sound you are trying to achieve.
Definitely go for an SLS model, especially when you tried a 6 string version and really liked how it felt/played.

Reaction score
Excellent:agreed:
Thanks for the feedback.
I talked to Jason at GearOrphanage and he offered me a Great Deal on a new one, but I just don't have that much loot.
I'm going to just go ahead and buy that AMS "scratch n dent" Right Now.

(for $615, even if it's a bit marred up - so what? I'm psyched about its playability, and not really concerned with resale... and who knows? Maybe I'll get lucky, and it will look great too. Plus it's got the full Schecter warranty AND the AMS extended one year warranty... never used a warranty for anything in my life, but knock on wood, right?)

:shred:Goin for the passive Blue Burst with the dots.:shred:

Reaction score
Alright, now my bank account has 7 dollars left!:eek:
(I'm still gonna get 200 back from GC on my SGR C-7 though, so it's all good.)
Can't wait!:hbang:

BetterOffShred

Reaction score
Nice work boss, You'll be shredding it in no time. Schecter makes a pretty dece guitar IMO, and I really like their new necks. Let us know how it progresses :)

-Brett

Latest posts