Newest Cryptopsy

• Thread starter Jacksonluvr636
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Thoroughly impressed. I'm an old dude and have been deeply into this band since the early 90's. One of the most extreme metal bands for their time, even today many bands can't keep up IMO.

To me their golden era was Whisper Supremacy/And then you'll beg. Jon Levasseur in my opinion was a major part of the force. Flo is Flo, he is like the god of metal drums but you also need strings. Anyway after Jon left I feel the band went downhill in a major way. The music completely changed for the worse. Jon came back I think it was in 2012 for the self titled and damn, Cryptopsy was back. Then of course Jon left again lol. Can't blame him, it is a rough and unstable life but the entire point of my wiki post here is Chris Donaldson. This guy is a monster and I am absolutely loving what he has done. I feel that he took full advantage of the time spent with Jon. This new Cryptopsy is by far the closest it has ever been to what I consider the "real" Cryptopsy.

Listening to the new stuff makes me feel that it is the golden era Cryptopsy only more defined as if they naturally had progressed but kept things the same. I think the current singers name is Matt McGachy and to me he sounds like Mike DiSalvo as well.

Completely crushing music and I am really glad to hear them putting stuff out like this.

[video]

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I only recently got into them but they sounded pretty sick on the 2012 self titled album. Not really into the vocals but the riffage on that album was phenomenal.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I feel like the realest Cryptopsy has to include Lord Worm. I consider him to be one of the best and most influential death metal vocalists of all time. He popularized the concept that you don't have to hear the lyrics even a little. He's the first vocalist I'm aware of to do the type vocals that utilize both sets of vocal chords (what would eventually become pig squeals/Wormed-style/tons of grindcore/slam). I guess that conversely, those could be the very reasons other people prefer Cryptopsy's other vocalists :lol:

I still like the albums without him, but when I'm going through my library and I click on Cryptopsy, my next click is almost never an album without Lord Worm.

But if this is a move back towards older Cryptopsy sound I'm very excited to hear it!

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
I feel like the realest Cryptopsy has to include Lord Worm. I consider him to be one of the best and most influential death metal vocalists of all time. He popularized the concept that you don't have to hear the lyrics even a little. He's the first vocalist I'm aware of to do the type vocals that utilize both sets of vocal chords (what would eventually become pig squeals/Wormed-style/tons of grindcore/slam). I guess that conversely, those could be the very reasons other people prefer Cryptopsy's other vocalists :lol:

I still like the albums without him, but when I'm going through my library and I click on Cryptopsy, my next click is almost never an album without Lord Worm.

But if this is a move back towards older Cryptopsy sound I'm very excited to hear it!

It is absolutely a move back to that direction, there are even some riffs that are reminiscent to None So Vile.

I respect lord worm I just never thought he was their best vocalist. For the time and music of Blaspemy and None so Vile he absolutely fit their raw sound but I just feel as the musicians changed and the music progressed Mike DiSalvo was an appropriate replacement.

You are right either way Lord Worm is the realest Cryptopsy as it gets. He used to be brought onto stage through the crowd in a coffin haha. Lord Perm.

Side note, those early albums are still super brutal. I always thought it was cool how you could listen to Blasphemy then None so Vile and then Whisper Supremacy and clearly hear Flo's skills progressing.

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
I had the chance to see them live last year and they were absolutely phenomenal.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
I had the chance to see them live last year and they were absolutely phenomenal.
That is awesome, I will definitely go see them if they ever come through. Probably won't lol I am in the midwest now but I grew up just a few hours from Montreal and have seen them a bunch of times years ago. They always were amazing to see.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
While None So Vile will forever be enshrined in death metal glory, this new stuff is still pretty fucking good. The world needs more good death metal.

Dwellingers

Reaction score
Looking forward to this. Had the pleasure to see them with Lord Worm in 2006 and supporting the "new" line-up here in 2014. Both Crushing performances!

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Unpopular opinion - Lord Worm sucks and always sucked. Lord Frail

I respect the man, especially on the early albums. He definitely fit their unpolished sound. I am aware he had some serious issues but man he should have never came back. Some of the later releases with him were quite embarrassing. Vocally I compare him to Chris Barnes although I am sure the Lord is a much cooler dude. Not trying to trash the guy but I just really do not think he was ever good vocally. Lyrically and theme based yes, absolutely but everyone has their own opinion.

Anyhow - IMO this is the closest Cryptopsy has ever been to the "Jon era" and I like that.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Unpopular opinion - Lord Worm sucks and always sucked. Lord Frail

I respect the man, especially on the early albums. He definitely fit their unpolished sound. I am aware he had some serious issues but man he should have never came back. Some of the later releases with him were quite embarrassing. Vocally I compare him to Chris Barnes although I am sure the Lord is a much cooler dude. Not trying to trash the guy but I just really do not think he was ever good vocally. Lyrically and theme based yes, absolutely but everyone has their own opinion.

Anyhow - IMO this is the closest Cryptopsy has ever been to the "Jon era" and I like that.
I should clarify I like his early work. Totally fit the sound they were going for IMO.

')