NG(s)D: Dean Rusty Cooley RC7X and others (56K... good luck)

• Thread starter OzoneJunkie
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jumpingjack

Reaction score
I received mine a week ago.

I agree about the frets. Was really disappointed as that was one of the main reasons I decided to go for it. When playing unplugged it really sounds a bit flat and cheap. But i suppose it sounds good when plugged in thanks to the EMG's. You can definitely tell it's bolt on though.

I have an ESP Ltd 1000-EC Les Paul and those frets seems bigger and taller.

Also to me the guitar does feel a bit cheap although it has grown on me the more I've played it. I find my arpeggios are much cleaner.

Wonder how much it would cost to refret to 6100's.

I like the size of the guitar too. It's quite small in my opinion especially compared to my Jackson RR24.

Overall for the price I suppose it is good. Would love to try the real deal RC7G though, just to compare.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OzoneJunkie

Reaction score
Yeah, antipop101 - basically feel identical - as I said I was disappointed with the frets too, and do feel that the guitar has a certain cheap feel to it, but yes, it has grown on me, and my arpeggio stuff does come across well on this guitar.

If I keep the guitar, I will look into a refret with 6100s. Maybe EMG replacement was well...

j0hnl0era

Reaction score
I forgot to add these photos in the original post.

RC7X:

11079d1244042124-ng-s-d-dean-rusty-cooley-rc7x-and-others-56k-good-luck-0530091525.jpg

Ibanez RG320FM:

11080d1244042124-ng-s-d-dean-rusty-cooley-rc7x-and-others-56k-good-luck-0530091526.jpg

the rc7x looks like so much more of a shred machine it looks like efortless playabilty compared to the ibanez

kherman

Reaction score
I think the board is ebony of some sort.

As mentioned, the naturally black tight grained ebony is getting more scarce.

My Carvins have ebony boards.
The Yellow '89 Dc127 is very tight grained with a few natural streaks.
The Blue '89 Dc200 is a little looser grained. All black.
The '94 Dc400 is tighted grained. All black.
The '05 Dc727 is looser grained. All black.
My St300 should be done in a couple weeks. We'll see how that looks.

How old growth the piece is and position from the tree (bottom or closer to the top) it came from does make a difference.

We're seeing the same effect in the Honduran mahogany or South American mahogany used these day.
The pieces just aren't as nice as the old growth used in the past.
A lot of companies have moved to 2 piece bodies instead of one because of it.
Or they've moved to African mahogany.

I'm sure we're seeing the same effect with todays ebony.
Newer growth, different species, etc...

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
posted this in the other thread but I guess people missed it.

I found out the real deal on the trem. They're using an OFR on the import because there's issues getting new trems from Tak and they only have a very limited number of the trems left at Dean so they're saving them to use on the USA's. If they can get them again then it'll switch over but now the only option is a OFR or the Ibanez Lo-Pro and they don't want to put an Ibby trem on a Dean guitar.
The frets however are supposed to be the same.... but as noted here they apparently aren't now.

Anthony

Banned
Reaction score
Got mine in a couple weeks ago, its the best guitar I've ever owned

The neck is the thinnest I've ever played and the cutaway is amazing, easily the most playable guitar I've ever touched.

I'm not sure what the frets are, they don't feel that much bigger to me coming from my previous experience on the Ibanez Jumbo frets on my RG7321, whatever size those are (I think I read somewhere they were 6100s? I don't know much about that) Either way they feel great and its easy to shred.

The neck and cutaway make the guitar itself awesome, plus you get EMG 707's and an OFR with a hardshell case for 900$, well worth the money. I'd recommend this guitar to anyone

YouTube - 4 String Arpeggios

To the above poster: if by string tensions you meant gauge, the factory strings feel like 9's to me, I'd guess 9-58 (or 56)

I didn't know you posted here. I commented on your video a few times.

OzoneJunkie

Reaction score
Just an FYI, I have this guitar (Dean Rusty Cooley RC7x (Korean version)) for sale now in the forums here... sorry if this is against the rules to mention that here... wasn't sure... I know a few peeps said they were interested in it if I put it up for sale...

')