NGD: 10-string Agile 27"-30"

• Thread starter Dayn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dayn

Reaction score
Just a small update. It took two months, due to backlogs, delays, and floods, but I got it back from the tech. In short, if you want to fuck about with a 10-string, and you're in the US and want to spend extra to get it in a playable state, get one - but you must compromise on the 10th string, and a bit on the 9th.

I've said all I can. The tech tidied up the frets and cut the nut very well, which that alone fixed a lot of the intonation issues and improved playability by a tonne, but he said he couldn't intonate the strings properly. They're mostly fine except higher up the neck on the lowest strings, and even then I can make it better by having a little bit of buzz by lowing the saddle height, so that's fine. But with these huge strings in low tunings on jumbo heights, it's more about playstyle. I can bend the .090 up a full semitone just by pressing harder on the fret, after all, and in the heat of playing the notes will drift.

The 10th string is more a novelty than anything. Even the .120 gauge I'm using for G#0 is still a little too light. But it's the thickest that'll fit the saddle. It has some harsh metallic buzz if you don't play it right. Tuning up to A0 makes it sound better, but the thickness of the string still has that buzz if you're not careful. In all honesty, everything I've been playing on it to date never actually uses the open G#0: the lowest note I've used has been A0. So I'll mostly use A0 from here on.

The decision to have the bridge pickup that far away from the bridge was a mistake. The guitar sounds fine, but the bridge pickup has a 'boxy' quality to it, due to the lesser brightness from being comparatively further away from the bridge. It's not bad, nothing you can't tweak, though I'm used to using the same settings for my other three guitars, so that's a bit annoying. The Cepheus active pickups are surprisingly alright, though.

For reference, I'm using Newtone custom strings. The tuning and gauges are as follows:

1. E4 - .009
2. B3 - .012
3. G3 - .015
4. D3 - .022
5. A2 - .030
6. E2 - .040
7. B1 - .054
8. F#1 - .070
9. C#1 - .090
10. A0 - .120

The .120 at A0 feels slightly tighter than the .090 at C#1, but it doesn't feel as tight as it should be. I like the other gauges but I think I'll bump the .090 up to a .092.

Unfortunately it's not perfect, because it's a cheap mass-produced 10-string that's designed for cheap mass-production, not to let the instrument shine as a 10-string. But for what it is, I like it. If you want a 10-string that's designed to work properly as a 10-string, look into something custom.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
a7cbef09-f89f-44f7-96f3-69e38566575b_text.gif

Dayn

Reaction score
Decided to upgrade the saddles after a suggestion in the C#1 tuning thread. I first ordered two ABM 3210 top-loading saddles for the 9th and 10th strings. I liked them so much, I decided to spring for the other eight despite saying it's too expensive. I finally installed them all. Pics below. Intonation is now perfect - or as perfect as an Agile guitar can be after a setup. Strings feel great, and they're not longer bending at more than a 90 degree angle.

After playing this guitar for a while, I've settled on Newtone stainless steel strings: .009, .012, .015, .022w, .030, .042, .056, .072, .094, .120. The lowest saddle can now fit more than .120, but that's the largest guitar string Newtone offers, so it's fine for G#0. The stainless steel gives the strings just the right amount of bite to not sound flubby. I think the pickups are actually quite good.

Strings feel great now. Installing the saddles was simple: I just reused the hole and screw at the front, then used a simple hand drill with a 2.5mm drill bit to drill the hole for the back screw. There's a copper grounding strip that I drilled into that the saddles still sat on, so no grounding issues. Intonation is great, though I think the plain steel strings are a fraction of a millimetre higher than I like but can't go lower. But that's fine.

The saddles are as aligned as I could make them. The hole positioning was not... great. The string-through holes weren't far back enough (causing intonation issues), but after taking the saddles off, they were also all slightly misaligned sideways.

It's now effectively become my project guitar. I'm considering locking tuners in the future. I've spent a bit of extra money on it, including having the frets leveled and the nut fixed. Including all that, the mind-bendingly high shipping cost to Australia, and the import fees, I still think it was worth it. If I was in the US and wanted a niche guitar and was willing to put extra work into it, I'd certainly consider another Agile.

(I want an 8-string acoustic but I'm not paying $500US for shipping...)

20231014_122647.jpg

20231014_141034.jpg

20231014_141041.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ubereem

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I believe there are certain unescapable compromises when it comes to extended range beyond 8 string that even a boutique custom shop wouldn't be able to fix.

The fact that a standard 8 string sits on that low F#1 already takes it into bass guitar territory. The C#1 on a standard 9 string puts it below standard 4 string bass tuning. All of these at much, much shorter scales lengths. (28" or 30" ERG vs 34" bass standard.)

Of course all of this could be mitigated with a bespoke multiscale solution, but that would make the entire instrument practically unplayable. Imagining a 34"-28" scale length is absurd yet hilarious--someone should try it. Has someone tried it? I'm sure someone has tried it.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
That is a large instrument.

Happy NGD!