NGD: 12 string bass content

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
If you came in here expecting 12 single courses, then FOOLED YOU! :lol: It's a triple course 12 string. Very cool, though, and I'm glad I got it. These things are loads of fun to play, especially unaccompanied. At first I thought there might be an issue with finger style playing (which I do) as opposed to a pick, because I'd read that the ordering of the strings - with the bass strings on the treble side of each grouping - lends itself more for pick playing. But it sounds awesome either way. And the brass nut on this job is pretty cool, too. I bought it off a guy on Talk Bass (where I tend to lurk mostly), and it was a super smooth transaction. :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Those things are so cool. There was an 8 string dean that I played at guitar center once. That was a ton of fun, so I can only imagine this is 4 times more fun!

7stg

Reaction score
If you came in here expecting 12 single courses, then FOOLED YOU! :lol:

Yeah, you had me all excited.

Well it's still cool, and a great looking bass.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Those things are so cool. There was an 8 string dean that I played at guitar center once. That was a ton of fun, so I can only imagine this is 4 times more fun!

Yeah, it's basically the same as the 8 string but with those octave strings doubled. And then you want them to be just a tad out of tune with each other for a chorusing effect. It's pretty neat.

knagy0325

Reaction score
Wow I`ve never seen anything like this before. Do you need to have big fingertips to fret properly 3 strings so close? :lol:
Post a clip if you can plz!

stevexc

Reaction score
Are those batman inlays? Photobucket is blocked at work so I can't quite make them out. If they are, that's ridiculously awesome. If not, it's still pretty awesome.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yep, those are bat inlays. I'm not sure that they're "Batman" inlays, but as far as I'm concerned, they are now! :lol: It makes it that much cooler!

And for those considering buying one of these, the transition to playing them is super easy. The strings are close enough together it takes no extra effort to play them. The only thing I can't do is slap and pop, but I guess that would be expected. I can actually play the bass strings independent of the octave strings, so I've been messing around with doing riffs that sound full and big, and then quietly picking the bass strings for almost a pianissimo sort of thing.
And the first thing I did when I pulled it out of the box is play Jeremy. :lol: Anyway, this thing is a LOT of fun, and I'm glad I got it.

If I can get all my crap hooked back up I'll record you guys a clip. But I'm generally bad about that, so don't hold your breath!

ixlramp

Reaction score
I suggest ultra low tension strings, like ERG tension, i am alarmed by standard 12 string sets that are almost standard tension. I have an 8 string bass (actually in unison courses for a richer chorus) with strings at 20-25 pounds and it's still fairly hard work to play. For example i would choose 80 35 35 for Eee.
Another suggestion ... try a high course with 3 strings in unison for an ultra rich organic chorus.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I suggest ultra low tension strings, like ERG tension, i am alarmed by standard 12 string sets that are almost standard tension. I have an 8 string bass (actually in unison courses for a richer chorus) with strings at 20-25 pounds and it's still fairly hard work to play. For example i would choose 80 35 35 for Eee.
Another suggestion ... try a high course with 3 strings in unison for an ultra rich organic chorus.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestion! So why are you alarmed - because it's much more difficult to play or because you're worried about the neck?

ixlramp

Reaction score
Nah the necks are designed to take the tension, it's the effort to fret that seems unhealthy to me, although i can understand why string companies assume that an 8 / 12 string bassist would probably want the fundamental strings to be similar tension to what they're used to. There seems to be a tradition-driven assumption that bassists have a vice-like grip and are immune to hand and wrist problems, and that almost doubling or tripling the effort required is okay, however personally i find standard sets (like 105-45) on a single course bass unplayably tight.
It's about time basses stop pretending they're acoustic double-basses and reduce their string tension for more playability, standard tension is totally unnecessary for most people.

')