NGD: 1985 Jackson Soloist

• Thread starter Black Mamba
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Black Mamba

Reaction score
So, the funny thing is with those Jackson pickups is there's a brief window in '85 where they're quite good, and then they changed something and...they're not after that. Glad you got some of the good ones - although the J-50 is by far they best pickup they made, and I think Grover still makes it as their PAF.
I've never been underwhelmed by the various ones I've had/tried over the years. I really love the J-90 in my '88 Dinky, and I've found the J-100 singles to be consistent from San Dimas to Ontario, but that's just been my experience anyway. And yeah, the J-50 is a cut above IMO, too. I'm not too familiar with Grover's Habanero pickups, but the Naga Viper is a recreation of the J-80, as well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I always thought people generally liked the J-80 and 90, with the 50 not being to everyone's taste. However, maybe that was because it's lower output, not that they don't like the sound.

I thought that the EMG passives that Alexi used were modeled on one of the old Jackson pickups. However, maybe that's urban legend.

Black Mamba

Reaction score
I always thought people generally liked the J-80 and 90, with the 50 not being to everyone's taste. However, maybe that was because it's lower output, not that they don't like the sound.

I thought that the EMG passives that Alexi used were modeled on one of the old Jackson pickups. However, maybe that's urban legend.
Yeah, the J-50BC/JE-1000 gain boost setup. The ALX pickup is a slightly tweaked H2 if not just relabeled.

')