NGD: 1985 Jackson Soloist

• Thread starter Black Mamba
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Black Mamba

Reaction score
Killer guitar. Plays and sounds as good as it looks!

Bigger/higher quality pic here: https://i.ibb.co/wKLmK8p/IMG-0132.jpg

IMG_0132(1).jpeg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jco5055

Reaction score
I feel like with mine bring 91, the ideal guitar would have to be an ibby right?

Black Mamba

Reaction score
Mini review: I've played more in these last few days than I have in quite some time, so I think that pretty much says it all. It's equipped with the original J-100/J-100/J-50 set. I love the J-100 singles: exactly what I want in a Strat-style single coil. The J50 is insane. I know it's cliché to talk about a pickup's 'clarity/articulation', etc... but in all honesty, the note separation on this pickup is incredible. I have no idea why anyone would ever replace these old Jackson pickups, but of course ymmv. Amazing neck, super resonant. Such a killer guitar.

1720196881182.jpeg

Black Mamba

Reaction score
What's the neck like? Is it similar to modern jacksons?
It's a (not overly) thin soft D shape. I tend to focus on pre-1990 Jacksons, so I can't really speak on anything they're doing nowadays, sorry.

gh0styboi

Everybody Poops
Reaction score
That is hella cool, man. Really dope guitar. Whoever had it before you clearly took really good care of it. Happy NGD :cheers:

jco5055

Reaction score
It's a (not overly) thin soft D shape. I tend to focus on pre-1990 Jacksons, so I can't really speak on anything they're doing nowadays, sorry.
no worries! I'd love to try a couple of 80s jacksons, I think the earliest I've tried was a 1990 or so?

Black Mamba

Reaction score
That is hella cool, man. Really dope guitar. Whoever had it before you clearly took really good care of it. Happy NGD :cheers:
Thanks! The back isn't quite as clean as the front, but for as old as it is and being all original with no repairs, I'm definitely lucky to have found it.

no worries! I'd love to try a couple of 80s jacksons, I think the earliest I've tried was a 1990 or so?
All the ones I've owned/played have been awesome. The main reason I seek them out is for the history. Like this one for example is just 22 serial numbers away from Robbin Crosby's second Firebird.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, the funny thing is with those Jackson pickups is there's a brief window in '85 where they're quite good, and then they changed something and...they're not after that. Glad you got some of the good ones - although the J-50 is by far they best pickup they made, and I think Grover still makes it as their PAF.

')