NGD: 1999 MIJ Ibanez RG7421

• Thread starter crg123
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Hey everyone its that time again of the year again haha. I just made a trade to get my hands on a RG7421, one of the ones made with the 7621 necks. Traded with Bloodnail and it went flawlessly. He packed it to survive a warzone.

It's in pretty amazing condition considering its a 15 year old guitar, only a few nicks in it. One of the previous owners refinished in a almost K7 blade grey color. They also added a # 13 that I'm not crazy about (a bit nu-metal for my taste) but don't really mind it too much. The quality of the instrument more then makes up for it.

The neck on this plays like a dream, especially for the price range, and its great for fast riffing. Couldn't stop play 80's/early 90's death metal on it. I'm also impressed at the quality of the neck woods and the lack of fretwear. I'm guessing it was refretting sometime in the last few years because they look almost new.

The pickups are going to be replaced (hopefully) with a set of Painkillers and I'm getting new saddles and knobs (o-ring) from hipshot. Down the line I'm thinking about swapping the pots out for CTS and maybe even hipshot tuners if I think it's worth it (the stock gotohs seem fine)

Anyway, enough rambling. Here's some photos.
15704266741_74dee8ddc0.jpg

15086222294_86f2e2cff9.jpg

15520294349_7a15eba8e1_n.jpg

15521336440_ae2b2149c6.jpg

15086216404_da7c6396b9.jpg

15706167195_0aa96490b4.jpg

15520977897_092defd9b6_n.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Just double checking I'll have no problem putting BKPs in these routes right?

bloodnail

Reaction score
It actually was never regretted the original owner bought it new and only played it for one song every gig his band played until about 2005 I think he said.then in the closet it went. Have fun with it man.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
You can tell. It's like a time capsule. I love it

What do you mean by "never regretted" Edit: nevermind I think you meant refretted

tedtan

Reaction score
I think that just means that you have to physically install the neck pickup opposite of the bridge pickup (e.g., slugs towards the bridge) for it to be hum cancelling in the split positions (2 and 4) of the switch. But that is kind of an odd way of phrasing it.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Everythings installed (Painkillers, hipshot saddles and knobs). It plays great but I'm having some noise issues with the Painkiller in the bridge position. Not sure whats causing it since everything should be properly grounded (tested with a multi-meter). I'll keep working on it to figure it out or else I guess I'll have to suck it up and go to a professional lol.

It's pretty funny to use patches on my Axe made for my alnico-warpigs. The Painkillers are the polar opposite in the way they're eq'd. It's going to take some getting use to.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Shitty soldering job confirmed! I took out the guts to take photos and when I put it back in theres no more noise or shrillness. Although now the middle position sounds weak, but w.e I never use it and can fix it easily down the line if I want to (probably just a weak solder joint)

The bridge sounds fantastic! So happy.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Hey does anyone know where I can get neck mounting screws and bushings for not outrageous prices for my RG. I tried ibanez rules and they quoted $4 per bushing and $10 for a set of screws ($26 total + shipping).

I want to make sure they fit (the existing ones are corroded to hell) but that seems like a lot for some simple hardware. I found this site but don't know much about it and I'm not sure which screws I should get: http://www.universaljems.com/cart/neckmount.htm also they require " All Orders require a Minimum of 2-4 weeks delivery!" which doesn't work to well for me haha.

Edit:

Actually would these work?

use 2/4 of these http://www.allparts.com/GS-3005-010-Chrome-Short-Neck-Plate-Screws_p_1812.html
and 2/4 of these http://www.allparts.com/GS-3005-010-Chrome-Short-Neck-Plate-Screws_p_1812.html
and buy these http://www.allparts.com/AP-5260-010-Chrome-Neck-Screw-Bushings_p_462.html

That only comes out to $11.80 which isn't bad

I'm also thinking about upgrading to CTS pots (does this really make a difference?) and swapping out the switch for this: http://www.allparts.com/EP-0078-000-4-Pole-5-Way-Super-Switch_p_1259.html so I can get more complex 5 way switching layouts.

Will this switch work in an ibanez for HH setup?

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
At first I thought the "13" was a scary face with funny eyebrows :lol:

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
!!!!! That's what my co-worker thought! Ya it's grown on me though, eventually I might do a refinish but it's go character and dare I say "mojo" haha. The painkillers, hipshot knobs and hipshot saddles made a world of a difference.

Hopefully once I get the 4-pole switching system in there I'll get more useful sounds. I don't really like the stock ibanez switching layout.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score

Wachu

Reaction score
^ Sorry man I'm not selling it just yet but if I do down the line I'll let you know. Shipping would be crazy expensive for you I'd imagine. Glad you like it so much though :).

Edit: This guys selling the version with the trem on here though, same guitar, same neck but higher quality stock hardware and pickups : http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gu...ezz-rg7620-99-mij-six28fdbg-iron-label-s.html

cheers mate, but i'm for fixed bridge. Anyway, hit me if you will know something
Regards

')