NGD: 2006 ESP Eclipse NOS (56K: Gor for it)

amonb

Les Paul Fever
Contributor
Reaction score
Today was a good day. I was able to find a dude on Ebay who had a 2006 ESP Standard Series Eclipse that was so unused it still had the tags on it, genuine NOS.

So I picked it up and a week later here it is. The case I had to leave back in the states as I wanted the cheaper postage so it was shipped in a more figure-hugging tweed case that did the job just fine.

On to the pics:

DSC00245small.jpg

DSC00244small.jpg

DSC00240smal.jpg

DSC00239small.jpg

DSC00236small.jpg

Specs:

Mahogany body and neck, maple cap

24.75" scale

Sperzel locking tuners

Pickups: EMG81 in Bridge, EMG60 in neck

Two volume, one tone

I have always wanted a Gibbo Les Paul-type guitar, but love my metal and modern guitars so went one of these instead of an Edwards copy. The flame maple I could give a rats about when purchasing, but now...

I have never owned a "pretty" guitar before so my eyes went a little watery when I saw how nice the flame was, the pics really don't do it justice.

The shorter scale will take a little getting used to, but it plays very quick. The neck is sensational, and is more of a softer C-shape than my Ibanez SCA 220 (the only other electric 6 I own).

And I LOVE the sound of the EMGs... even clean I like em. I have heard complaints about the "dark cleans" of the EMGs but I must admit I think the dark clean is a sexy tone indeed. It ain't "classic" or "vintage" but if I wanted that I woulda got the Edwards.

Despite this I am still tempted to pick up some Blackouts since they are a drop-in replacement just to compare...

The beast is currently equipped with SIT strings set up for E standard and I was thinking of stringing it up for drop C or possibly drop B tuning. Any string gauge suggestions from fellow short-scale owners?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Congratulations. I've always really liked those, ESP is one of the best companies going these days in terms of bang for the buck. I almost got one myself, but the cluttered inlays were always the killer for me.

Sweet guitar though man, kick ass.

In terms of tuning, I've always had great results tuning to C, B or lower with short scales. I'd recommend the Elixir NanoWeb 12-52 set. Best sounding / feeling strings in the world, and their tension is really nice.

amonb

Les Paul Fever
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks man, I have been meaning to try the Nanowebs out so I might take up your suggestion, and thanks for the kind words!

Are you a Elixir seller Nick? If so I might grab a couple of sets from you...

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
+1 on the Elixirs. They last FOREVER too... and I have pretty acidic sweat, so normal strings don't take to me very well.

Very pretty guitar!

EDIT: Nice! I didn't see that you had an EMG-60 in the neck. That is a really cool pickup, and absolutely stunning clean and dirty. Very clear and single-coil like, with some real power behind it if you dig in.

amonb

Les Paul Fever
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys :wub:

I've put it through its paces a bit this evening and I REALLY do dig that EMG60 neck pickup. This active thing is all new to me but I have found it so clear and full for nasty-sounding cleans... very cool :metal:

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
I like those guitars. I think ESP did a hell of a job. I look at the 500s all the time and sing that song from Fiddler on the Roof.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Very nice! I picked one of those up at Sam Ash and played it for about an hour. I really liked them but at the time the price was too high. Weren't they blowing them out recently here in the states? :scratch: Looks like you got a good deal man. :yesway:

FortePenance

Reaction score
Nice, nice. To my memory, I haven't tried an ESP Eclipse but even the LTD ones were very impressive. Great pics too.

FYP666

Kick The Gates Open
Reaction score
Nice find! :agreed:

For the strings, i'd say Ernie Ball .12-.56! They feel great and last eternity. Also low .56 keeps the tension well tight, so they aren't floppy as whales ass on a short scale. I used them on my ESP Viper, on drop C, it was great. On drop B, it felt nicely more loose, pinch harmonics came out like win! :lol:

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah MF was blowing them out a few months ago. Same fininsh and all. This one is probably one of those. That is probably why MF was moving them b/c they were 06' models. At the time they were $999 plus a $150 rebate. So $850.

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats on a freakin' nice guitar. Tried one the other day and it's a really great guitar imo. :yesway:

... And who the hell put the "stoopid impulse purchases" tag?!? :rolleyes:

Makelele

Reaction score
I almost bought one of those once, and I would've bought one later if I hadn't found the RG2077XL for really cheap. And I will own one some day.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Those are nice guitars. I really liked the black matte one that I played, it was an ltd but it still played really nice. Nice score! :hbang:

')